Pelican carry-on case modified top box

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I've been trying to come up with the best luggage configuration for this 10,000 km ride to Siberia and the Russian coast. A 4wd truck is going with us, so only minimal gear needs to be carried on the bike. Auluminium side panneirs have lots of disadvantages, the main one being you're too wide to split traffic lanes, so not ideal unless you're carrying lots of gear and need to lock it. We're going to be riding through some areas where nightime security cant be gauranteed for the bikes, so the luggage needs to be removable or lockable. So a bit of thinking was needed to come up with a suitable idea for luggage.

Pelican have been making excellent, bullet proof luggage for years and offer a lifetime guarantee. So ive opted for converting a carry-on Pelican case as a small top box. Not normally a fan of top boxes as they stop you from swinging your leg over the bike but net net, I think this is the best lockable option for carrying a small amount of gear.

Bring on the Pelican 1510 - Wheels and pull handle even (gave me goose bumps at first).

USD $ 160 and bullet proof:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_1510_000_110_1510_Carry_On_Case.html

Below gives an idea of the size:

01-case-1510_model.jpg

1510LOC.jpg

Now to modify.

If you have a rear rack with the keyhole shaped cut outs, the "hockey puck" and catch arrangement work fantastically well for attaching a case to the rear rack. Ideally you will need 4x of these. I got some fabricated in Chiang Mai for 950 Bht each (not cheap but good quality)

P_20150713_173623.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

First job was to see if the hole attachments would fit either side of the pull handle slide, luckily they just did

P_20150713_164745 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Then get it all marked up and careful thought so that all the catches could get through the holes in the rear rack

P_20150713_165007 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Measure twice cut once

P_20150713_165832 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Crossed finders that everything would line up and the box would slot through the rack. Ideally rubber o rings should go under the washers to make the box waterproof once again

P_20150713_170503 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Stainless end locknuts to stop anything coming loose and cover the sharp ends of the bolts

P_20150713_170909 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Not looking too bad

P_20150713_172502 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Catch levers on the underside of the rack, being sucked on tight by the hockey pucks on the inside of the case

P_20150713_172514 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Looking into the inside of the case with the hockey pucks screwed down tight

P_20150713_172537 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The finished product

P_20150713_172555 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Wheels an' all (scary)

P_20150713_172629 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Retractable pull handle

P_20150713_172647 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Doesnt look too bad for the convience

P_20150713_172707 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P_20150713_172907 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Got a set of PELICAN Panniers by Caribou with SW-Motech luggage racks for the MTS a few years ago but never fitted once = http://cariboucases.com and the website might give you some additional mounting ideas if needed. The PELICAN pannier and boxes are great solid reliable quality, using roller Pelican as tool and parts boxes (wheel versions similar to the one in your post) for many years without any dramas.

Don't forget to test fit them pizza cartons with the new top box (hate the top boxes and they do look ridiculous) ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 325
I once promised myself i'd NEVER do this. Still can only look at it out of the corners of me eyes, but i think once on the road will be glad of this setup.

Phil, will you leave it on the bike overnight?

So why did you go for the case with the wheels and the handle?

Travelling in Japan while the bike is being shipped back to Thailand

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Travelling in Japan while the bike is being shipped back to Thailand

Wont people think you are a cheap stake wheeling your box with 4 holes in the side.......

It looks great and i see you are doing the ride on the best bike for the job IMO F800 GS

bullet proof luggage for years and offer a lifetime guarantee

Think that maybe void now :cruiser:

Just need a few 3 M reflective stickers all good to go could need shit like this in China Phil

3m strip.jpg

see and be seen ?????

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 148.jpg

Looks good but I'd swap out those dome nuts for nyloc ones, & maybe a piece of 4mm ally plate cut to fit the inside profile of the base to give a more even clamp pressure over the whole area.
Rough roads look to be in your future & the less to shake loose & rattle about the better

Phil - how good is the latch that holds the pull handle in place? That would certainly make a wider profile if it slides out.

There's so much compression load and the added spring washer effect from the plastic case that I think its ok.

Phil
I'm guessing somewhere secure and waterproof for photography gear was a priority ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Bike Talk 0
KTMphil Bike Talk 5
Back
Top Bottom