NOB Ride 26th of October 2012

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Anyone up for a nob ride next Friday?

Went up hell's gate (steep trail up doi suthep close to Wat Umong) last Saturday and conditions where perfect, all dry and good grip so it could be good to ride around here again.

I'm in

Anyone up for a nob ride next Friday?

Went up hell's gate (steep trail up doi suthep close to Wat Umong) last Saturday and conditions where perfect, all dry and good grip so it could be good to ride around here again.

there are other similar challenging tracks around there that noone seems to know, and I'dont want to do alone, just east of last man standing, that arent going to ruin it for the mountain bikers on hellsgate

there are other similar challenging tracks around there that noone seems to know, and I'dont want to do alone, just east of last man standing, that arent going to ruin it for the mountain bikers on hellsgate

It's the one I did with Alex USA but didn't connect (going up) isn't it?

Also in what way are dirt bikes ruining mountain bike trails Alex?

Max,
It is that trail, but you can get onto it from LHS, or another track to the east, and possibly some other tracks, I need to scout a bit more..
I have walked the upper bit,but it was very overgrown then. Hopefully there's an easier connection or we can try from the top.

The problem with erosion is the ruts made by motorbike tyres, especially when spinning the rear wheel, or skidding down, as it is easy to get the front bicycle wheel in the rut, and hard to get out at speed. Hellsgate,Bamboo trail, is about the best MTB track I know and great fun and fast, I feel selfish idf I ride it on a motorbike, when there's so many other tracks around.
Also motorbikes destroy mtb takeoffs, it happened a lot where I used to live in england.
Its give and take,have some consideration for the bicycles, and hope they have consideration for enduros etc.
When they start banning everyone we'll all be in the same boat, lets work together

I should be in..

Tho a bit leery of LMS / anything with 'hells' in it ;)

The problem with erosion is the ruts made by motorbike tyres, especially when spinning the rear wheel, or skidding down, as it is easy to get the front bicycle wheel in the rut, and hard to get out at speed. Hellsgate,Bamboo trail, is about the best MTB track I know and great fun and fast, I feel selfish idf I ride it on a motorbike, when there's so many other tracks around.
Also motorbikes destroy mtb takeoffs, it happened a lot where I used to live in england.
Its give and take,have some consideration for the bicycles, and hope they have consideration for enduros etc.
When they start banning everyone we'll all be in the same boat, lets work together

I agree with you Alex,our big nobby tyres tear tracks to shreds especially when it`s wet. Some consideration is needed.

I just rode to the top of Suthep-Hmong village from the southern part of the Samoeng road and something that was a bit strange....just to the west of the Hmong village up the top of Suthep (where we eat) there`s a small round sheltered seating area, there was a few pick ups and some Thais with bags of concrete were digging some holes. Strange thing was i nodded and smiled as i went past and they were all grim faced and no typical smiling faces reaction back. The way the pick ups were parked i had to thread my way through them to get through.

Just looked like they were putting a gate or fence in and might be to stop bikes getting up to the village from that way.
A few times riding through there where they have their markets i thought we could be pissing them off big time...maybe i was right?

About here
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=18.82133,98.880599&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17

Alex you want to screen shot a route for discussion

DON'T PUT THE .GPX FILE UP HERE OR IT'LL END UP ELSEWHERE

I agree with you Alex,our big nobby tyres tear tracks to shreds especially when it`s wet. Some consideration is needed.

I just rode to the top of Suthep-Hmong village from the southern part of the Samoeng road and something that was a bit strange....just to the west of the Hmong village up the top of Suthep (where we eat) there`s a small round sheltered seating area, there was a few pick ups and some Thais with bags of concrete were digging some holes. Strange thing was i nodded and smiled as i went past and they were all grim faced and no typical smiling faces reaction back. The way the pick ups were parked i had to thread my way through them to get through.

Just looked like they were putting a gate or fence in and might be to stop bikes getting up to the village from that way.
A few times riding through there where they have their markets i thought we could be pissing them off big time...maybe i was right?

About here
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=18.82133,98.880599&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17

Both XR's are apart, I don't know how long it will take until I can get riding again...

ScreenHunter_13 Oct. 22 19.38.jpg

Here's a route in red, joins LMS,can go up to loop around or join up with suthep road.
Quite hard, but not all day, and lots of side options

Loop, I saw some folk in the same place last week, they didnt look happy then, either

View attachment 10999

Here's a route in red, joins LMS,can go up to loop around or join up with suthep road.
Quite hard, but not all day, and lots of side options

Loop, I saw some folk in the same place last week, they didnt look happy then, either

Yes this is what I thought. I took the turn straight north or your red track and led me 100m from the road where I turned back. This is pretty rough and steep terrain, wouldn't advise doing a nob ride there if we all wanna have fun.

What about sticking to the On Khan/ death valley area? Sounds like the suggested route will keep clutch vendors in business

Did the well known singletrack to mae rim then turning up onto the buggy trail up last weekend. Conditions were good:

st.png

But if people rather go to death valley it's fine by me.

You want to do this clockwise?

Personally I think ccw (like on the picture) is more fun (going up the buggy trail is much more fun than going down, especially if a bit slippery). Starting at 700yrs, going up doi pui then we have lot of options depending on the conditions (wonder how the turtle trail is?).

Yes its dry out there. Time for death valley etc soon.
Cant make it on friday though

ScreenHunter_14 Oct. 23 14.20.jpg
This where you went then max??

My rear wheel bearing has failed so not going to be able to make Friday.

So should we decide on a route? Starting 700yrs stadium or death valley?

Can't make it this week Scott is back to school & I've not been well, have a good one though.

I`m keen to ride but not keen on a too physically challenge route where i might have to man handle the bike over rocks or out of gullies or whatever. Only just started back on the bike after a 5 month "holiday".

Max --- can you make a route file starting at death valley and maybe going clockwise and ill get it emailed to everyone? Can you put a screenshot of the route up here too? thx

Could do something like this, but that section in the red rectangle says "not for rainy season", I've no idea what this bit of trail is. Will ask Alex if he knows, he's the master of Ob Khan...
nob26.10.png

sounds good will be there.

Annoyingly somethings come up.. Am out..

Could do something like this, but that section in the red rectangle says "not for rainy season", I've no idea what this bit of trail is. Will ask Alex if he knows, he's the master of Ob Khan...
View attachment 11059

Max, I did that trail you refer to last Wednesday. It's a real fun trail and you'll get through no problem. Some people refer to it as 'last man 1'.

Here is some video of the trail from Wednesday

Max, I did that trail you refer to last Wednesday. It's a real fun trail and you'll get through no problem. Some people refer to it as 'last man 1'.

Thanks Matt. Is there a way that is preferable, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thanks for the vid Matt.

It looks a bit slowish is there some more open parts on the suggested route as well?

I'd do the loop ccw which means you drop down into the valley. I think that section is about 12 km all in.

After the technical bit the trail is fairly open.

Anyone know if Derek's around and coming? Lots of people away including Adrian. See you 0930am at the Night Safari roundabout.

The comment of "Not in the Rainy Season" was put in on the request of Dave Dirty who provided the tracks as it is basically a track in the riverbed which might well be flooded in the rainy season.

Back
Top Bottom