NOB ride 17.05.13

MastaMax

Bikes
15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Who is up for a NOB ride this Friday 17th? I'm going to break in the new bike, meeting on 700 years stadium's parking at 10am. No route planned yet, doesn't have to be technical.

Loop

Bikes
VFR 800 PCX 150
Who is up for a NOB ride this Friday 17th? I'm going to break in the new bike, meeting on 700 years stadium's parking at 10am. No route planned yet, doesn't have to be technical.
I`ll be interested to hear your comments on the different riding styles between the former 4T and new 2T.

For one,a lot more rear brake is needed,different to steer too.

I can`t make it as my rear brake pads are down to the metal and waiting for a set from the US unless i can find some local.

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I`ll be interested to hear your comments on the different riding styles between the former 4T and new 2T.

For one,a lot more rear brake is needed,different to steer too.

I can`t make it as my rear brake pads are down to the metal and waiting for a set from the US unless i can find some local.

Lew try Breda/ Chinese bike store near Joe, the mechanic

MastaMax

Bikes
15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Nothing too technical, I think 1 or 2 more beginner riders will tag along. Maybe singletrack to mae rim then buggy trail up or rock tower?

LUFC

Bikes
Berg 300, KTM 350, Trials Scoot
Surely you are gonna wait for some of the "Key Players" to return before having so much fun. Scandalous!

KTMphil

Bikes
Surely you are gonna wait for some of the "Key Players" to return before having so much fun. Scandalous!

Daz -- you've got a point, we did think about cancelling it "until some of the key people are in town", but we're an easy going / happy-go-lucky bunch, so we'll be going riding Friday.

Loop

Bikes
VFR 800 PCX 150
^ maybe they can come in the Wildtrak?

if Johnny hasn`t already. 55

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
^ maybe they can come in the Wildtrak?

if Johnny hasn`t already. 55
I need Matt as he's the 4x4 expert, im the external direction and navigation consultant (ahem yes i pull the wee trees out the way)

Loop

Bikes
VFR 800 PCX 150
Lew try Breda/ Chinese bike store near Joe, the mechanic
They had them 555

And the quality brand (that`s what it says on the packet) Lockte for 50 baht/set!!

Here i am waiting for 2 sets to arrive from the US at 800 baht/set (including postage)...f****n hell!!

KTMphil

Bikes
A lot of key people away and still managed a 7 bike turnout at the start of rainy season

Max's new, first-time-out KTM 300 EXC-E (& the electric start works!)

KTMphil

Bikes
Alex rebuilding his bike 10 minutes before we leave (actually just changing the carb jetting settings)... Paul's new to him WR 250 on the right

All done in 10 minutes

KTMphil

Bikes
Freddie on his Honda CRF 450 R motocross bike. It was stalling a lot like most motocross bikes do and being quite short was a bitch to start in some circumstances. Here using the cleaning trrolly as a stand (MX bikes - no side stand)

We had planned to do something like single track to Mae Rim then up the buggy trail to the viewpoint, but a plans were abruptly changes 5 minutes on to the trails, bumping onto the park warden saying that we couldn't ride on Doi Suthep for several days.

KTMphil

Bikes
A new route plan was in order -

Start of the "erzberg" trail, "rock tower" trail, Mae Rim viewpoint, "Buggy" trail & Mae Rim single track back to the lake

Map Copyright RideAsia.net - All rights reserved

KTMphil

Bikes
Just NW of the Huay Thong Tao lake, at the start of the erzberg trail, there's an awkward , concrete, viaduct crossing, then 1km further on a dyke crossing with a really, nasty, slippy side

Wasn't a problem for the more powerful light bikes, the 20hp CRF 250 L was a little more tricky to get up it (Justin from Singapore below)

KTMphil

Bikes
After being turned away a second time at the foot of the DST trails, we took the tarmac to Mae Rim and up the "rock tower" trail

Justin from Singapore on the CRF 250 L

If it had rained harder, this would have been fun, it's pretty steep as usual the camera doesn't grab that

Paul got a rear puncture from the rocks or a root, not an ideal place

You can see how deep the ruts are!

KTMphil

Bikes
Paul's bike was rideable with the rear flat and we carried on up to the Nong Hoi village hoping to find someone with tire levers (i had a spare tube).

There is a bike mechanic there opposite the shop at co-ords:

N18 56.121

E98 49.426

KTMphil

Bikes
With the rain clouds moving away, behind the storm some clear air and great views towards Mae Rim

At the viewpoint

Alex playing around, new jetting seemed to be good

KTMphil

Bikes
Lastly, the single track back to Huay Thong Tao lake. The CRF 250 L's weight and less power again was a problem for Justin, everything was finished in the end

The nasty dip on the Mae Rim single track

The other side of the dip now nicely grooved for rainy season

Great days out with a good bunch of guys and no major drama's

crs

Bikes
KTM 250 EXC-F
If there's another NOB ride next Friday, I'll be down. (Pickup in garage today.) Just hope rain doesn't get too bad beforehand...

KMA

Bikes
05 KTM 250 excf, 96 XR250
So any idear why you guys were getting turned away from DST trails?

KTMphil

Bikes
So any idear why you guys were getting turned away from DST trails?
They said there was a water conference going on and the trails couldn't be used for about a 10 days. Riding back we saw about 20 dome sleeping tents rigged on the grass.

Never sent from an I-Phone

alexuk

They said there was a water conference going on and the trails couldn't be used for about a 10 days. Riding back we saw about 20 dome sleeping tents rigged on the grass.

Never sent from an I-Phone
most of them had camo gear on
no sign of them on the trails, will have to try from other side and see what they say
big hand to Justin,who did really well for a beginner offroad

a good ride, a good mix for me, had to concentrate, but kept the confidence up most of the time