NOB Ride 2 Nov. 2012

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Anyone around this Friday?

I know Alex had something in mind in the death valley / Last Man 1 region.

I`d like to ride but probably would give anything like LMS a miss.

We're talking about the one with river crossings, nothing hard like the rocky uphill LMS. Will ask alex to post a picture of the trail.

2nov nob.jpg
We could go up 1 Death Valley, right at end 2, up towards samoeng a bit to3, then left along to the singletrack 4 and up to 5 the track back onto the mae win/samoeng dirt road,6, and at the end 7, take the singletrack LMS2(??) up to the road
But that would be a long day in remote places, so maybe something else, like the dirt road NW of Mae Rim, with the big hill used in the thai enduro last year?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_17 Oct. 29 23.52.jpg
    ScreenHunter_17 Oct. 29 23.52.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 528
NW of Mae Rim, with the big hill used in the thai enduro last year?
You mean the one they did downhill right? That could be a good option, leaving from 700yrs then single track to mae rim.

What time do you wanna go? Should we say 10am on 700yrs parking? Or earlier?

You mean the one they did downhill right? That could be a good option, leaving from 700yrs then single track to mae rim.

What time do you wanna go? Should we say 10am on 700yrs parking? Or earlier?

10am at 700 yr suits me.

Sounds good. We can go up there and loop back to pong yaeng maybe

Looks like i'm in tomorrow ...bike's all fixed.

Alex -- can you EMAIL Max & Chris & myself a .gpx route file (don't put it here it will get copied )

I have been scared to post in case I jinx it.. But bikes on the trailer, gassed up, would need some really bad luck to stop me now..

Vodka and ibuprofen.. Fixes all ailments..

ScreenHunter_18 Nov. 02 18.48.jpg

Heres the route we did in the end.
Only got a couple of fotos
sef.jpg
sefr.jpg
Some hmong cart races there tomorrow ??
sefy.jpg
sefd.jpg
I bought a cheap fone to keep in my pocket on rides.
Have to get another one now
Theres a lot of new double concrete tracks, a lot of the way from Mae Sa Mai village, to the viewpoint, and down to the main Mae Rim/buggy trail now
sefh.jpg

Big thanks to Alex and Max for their local knowledge skills and patience today.

I`m totally knackered but will be back for more :)

Was a beautiful day as we get into cooler weather.. There was a point after a pretty hard stage on some rutted slow going climbs.. When we came into the pine tree higher elevation stuff and this wispy cloud provided a cooling chill.. with all the sweat after the climb it was actually chilling.. great stuff..

Went down like a sack of spuds again.. Front end washout.. Dont bounce like I used to as a kid.. Nothing damaged but feeling it..

Lew had an observation that I think may be on the button on the YZ, about a possible leaking crank seal.. Burning oil, creating spodge, running hotter, making it run less clean through the midrange.. All the evidence and symptoms would fit that possible cause.. Gonna have to check that out as somethings not quite right.

There was a point after a pretty hard stage on some rutted slow going climbs..

Very challenging ride to the top of what seemed a never ending steep hill that was very deeply rutted by 4x4`s and the bit in the middle badly rutted by bikes.
I made a mistake on a steep part at the bottom of it and went over into one of the deep ruts and then had to drag my bike back down the hill to find that the right hand guard had been bent and was fouling the throttle and front brake and the only allen key we had was a bit rounded.
Took a while but we got the hand guard off eventually,but i was knackered and we were still near the bottom....it was torturous for me

A very challenging ride up to Ban Mai.

Lew had an observation that I think may be on the button on the YZ, about a possible leaking crank seal.. Burning oil, creating spodge, running hotter, making it run less clean through the midrange.. All the evidence and symptoms would fit that possible cause.. Gonna have to check that out as somethings not quite right.

My kTM had a problem like that, crank seal leaked, but a new one soon failed, cos the bearing had got rusty while the bike was standing.

When do you think that cart race is?

and there was some talk of trail maintenance....

Good ride, everyone got through without too much problems, just a couple of mechanicals. thanks for a nice day

My kTM had a problem like that, crank seal leaked, but a new one soon failed, cos the bearing had got rusty while the bike was standing.

When do you think that cart race is?

and there was some talk of trail maintenance....

Good ride, everyone got through without too much problems, just a couple of mechanicals. thanks for a nice day

I think the billy kart races may have been today? they were certainly ready to go yesterday.

re crank seals it`s always best to replace the main bearings while it`s all apart.

Crank seals do wear or go hard and if LiL`s bike still has the original`s (?) it`s well due to have both them and the bearings replaced.
Crank seals and main bearings kit was about $40 for my KDX.

ps; some bikes the seals can be replaced without splitting the cases. My bike had to be split,maybe the YZ can be done without splitting them but if the main bearings haven`t been done before i`d be doing both.

A blown transmission side seal wont make it run hot,just oily and smoky..seemingly rich and off song.

When the flywheel seal blows they suck air,run lean,hot and off song.

When they both are shot you got a fairly sick engine.

Lost a radiator guard up on the northern side of Suthep that looks like this but white..

mQBoeRAXewFstCPPoOnoAgg.jpg

Probably gone but just in case someone on here has picked it up.

I hear you were mountain biking with Jim in the dark?

It took us to 9pm to get back to the road iirc. We left it a bit late and the trail was longer than I remembered.
We were in good spirits tho and fortunately it didnt rain.
Didnt take a torch/fod/water/gps

Abeautiful trail, when you can see something. but overgrown

Jim said it was a lot of fun, he loved riding with you.

It took us to 9pm to get back to the road iirc. We left it a bit late and the trail was longer than I remembered.
We were in good spirits tho and fortunately it didnt rain.
Didnt take a torch/fod/water/gps

Abeautiful trail, when you can see something. but overgrown

Back
Top Bottom