No Green Book No More Fun

I am not pretending to be anyone or anything. It was just that in a previous reply you had said that someone would not be able to afford a "full titanium crankshaft for a single thumper" which made me believe that they did actually exist and hence my interest in finding out more about them. I thought they would be a lot cheaper and simpler to manufacture compared to a four cylinder. So just out of personal interest I am still looking into it on my own. I did read that Porsche used one in the 917.

OK I bite...

sorry Jon I'm not quite sure if you are really what you just pretended to be...in the event you are, I do apologize for what follows in the next sentences and just tell you that "unfortunately no, this is state of the art technology that is in its infancy and the owner is very protective of it (not that the American first to file patent laws have anything to do with it)...as such he produces full kits by the four (because that is how the casting technology we developed works) and concentrates on the most requested models, namely ZX-10, ZX-14, R1, Hayabusa and the SuperTen was a an addition as we both love that engine...no singles to date. If you really would like to have your Mio cost as much as a new beemer then something can be arranged...other then that I am sorry to say, not available!

If you dumbasses without the resemblance of a clue want to pull my chain then please go get some IQ boosters somewhere...though I doubt there is enough out there to get you to an acceptable level at least you can make it look like you tried...

Sorry Phil but your joint is turning into a shithole of dumbasses and whores...there might still be some useful info now and then...but in general it seems to be run over by trolls and idiots with the IQ of doorknobs that are turning RA more and more into something useless like the "opium runner" riders.

When I was invited here I was told this was a very open place with lots of "real riders" and a lot of newbies that were serious about getting into riding...now I find there is an "IN CROWD" of bullies and assholes with the IQ of 15 year old Afghan girls behaving like they own the motorcycle world...some of the idiots in here are so stupid they don't even know what questions they would have to ask if they wanted to get ready for a real ride (what I consider a real ride, weather Phuket to Chiang Mai or Bangkok to Tokyo)...so sorry to say but...this place needs a "GIANT ENEMA"...

Or maybe its just another one of those online crap houses where wonabees hang out to hassle the few real guys that around until they wake up and stop sharing real knowledge...real people and intelligent riders like Ally and a few others are missing for a reason I can only assume... and I see the reason more and more...

keep at it google generation...keep at it (mock those that share experience and help newcomers)!

To those who agree with me, sorry for being blunt and to anyone else...you don't deserve my time to educate you nor you do you deserve any experience being shared with you at all...google shit and go die somewhere down the road when you eave your sand box...I won't shed a tier.

SO LONG MOTHER FUCKERS

Hang on one minute you indubitable font of knowledge . Where D funk r we gunna get our amusement from if you last vulgar statement stands . Us average Joes ( Well most of us ) need a good laugh now n then . Please dont leave it to the usual non de plumes to give reason for side stitching .

If this doesn't quickly get more civilized, this thread will have to be moved to the dungeon, which will be a shame as there's some important information here. In the dungeon only members can view it so it will be stupid to do that, up to you guys.

I am not pretending to be anyone or anything. It was just that in a previous reply you had said that someone would not be able to afford a "full titanium crankshaft for a single thumper" which made me believe that they did actually exist and hence my interest in finding out more about them. I thought they would be a lot cheaper and simpler to manufacture compared to a four cylinder. So just out of personal interest I am still looking into it on my own. I did read that Porsche used one in the 917.

Full titanium crank shafts are available from a number of companies out there for pretty much any kind of modern engine, including big bore thumpers. Hollow Titanium crank shafts are a different story and, outside the aforementioned kits, are made on order and are therefore quite expensive...personally I believe that on single the entire kit (hollow crank shaft with corresponding piston and connecting rod) would make it too light for a smooth low end operation (your idle would have to be over 2,000RPM) and frankly low end torque is why we have thumpers...but if you still wish to gold plate your scooter and add such a kit you surely would have the lightest engine anyone could wish for...I just hope your wife doesn't hold it against you that the ride costs more then her Crossfire...
hope this answers your questions...if you still want to go that route drop me a PM and I will get you in touch with the manufacturer...
Yes Porsche uses carbon pistons and titanium crank shafts in some engines...though the hollow ones are mostly used in (some) formula 1 cars...in the bike world not even Rossi has one but a few drag bikes do. Ride Safe...

Full titanium crank shafts are available from a number of companies out there for pretty much any kind of modern engine, including big bore thumpers. Hollow Titanium crank shafts are a different story and, outside the aforementioned kits, are made on order and are therefore quite expensive...personally I believe that on single the entire kit (hollow crank shaft with corresponding piston and connecting rod) would make it too light for a smooth low end operation (your idle would have to be over 2,000RPM) and frankly low end torque is why we have thumpers...but if you still wish to gold plate your scooter and add such a kit you surely would have the lightest engine anyone could wish for...I just hope your wife doesn't hold it against you that the ride costs more then her Crossfire...
hope this answers your questions...if you still want to go that route drop me a PM and I will get you in touch with the manufacturer...
Yes Porsche uses carbon pistons and titanium crank shafts in some engines...though the hollow ones are mostly used in (some) formula 1 cars...in the bike world not even Rossi has one but a few drag bikes do. Ride Safe...

Ferrotitanium Crankshafts in F1!

Hang on one minute you indubitable font of knowledge . Where D funk r we gunna get our amusement from if you last vulgar statement stands . Us average Joes ( Well most of us ) need a good laugh now n then . Please dont leave it to the usual non de plumes to give reason for side stitching .

Dude...I said "go fetch"...I did not say "go feltch" but hey...whatever keeps you weird bunch happy!

huh…. I had to go look that up..learn something everyday...

Feltch
The subservient act of orally drawing out the ejaculate of a man from another man's rectum via the anus.
After Wilbur feltched his boss upon his return from his Mexican vacation, Wilbur really needed to floss.

Well it look's like the fun has well and truly exhausted itself on this thread gentlemen, as somebody has already mentioned it has reached Thai Visa level's, which most of us are familiar with.

If you wish to proceed with the pissing contest then please use the PM function outside of the forum public framework or maybe you would like to start a new thread and actually post something Motorcycle related like a ride report for example which would be most welcome.

This is what the Thai's do with their motorcycles that have no excise tax paid. They store them with the whole handlebar assembly removed, in theory not a completed machine, so legally does not need to have excise tax paid - Thai Customs Revenue Dept., cannot legally do anything, interesting.

no bars by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

For off-road motorcycles with excise tax paid, an efficient solution for displaying legality, is to scan and print the excise invoice, that has the frame VIN & engine number included & print the CPTL (liability) insurance. If these are printed on a high quality sticker medium, they can be reduced and have the numerals still readable & can be stuck above the headlight on the "fairing". You can add some clear film on top to protect the stickers from being damaged by branches. If the bike is left somewhere, with this ID/ excise tax paid sticker, the Thai Customs and Police lose interest in pursuing any further.

P_20160408_174922.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

P_20160408_174915.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Ferrotitanium Crankshafts in F1!

Thank you for your contribution on the subject Johnnysneds....

Well, to keep the educational tone without vulgar implications, let me elaborate a little on our friend's teaser here...

Q. What is Ferrotitanium? Simple answer is...an Intermetallic.

( For those of you who do not know what that is...when two metals meat under the right set of circumstances such as temperature, pressure and so on they combine to form an entirely new material. This is not an alloy of the two but a distinct new and different material. Though as so often in life, perfection may be difficult to achieve so usually the result is rather something like an alloy containing the intermetallic phase or phases. When a pure intermetallic is achieved very often we find ourselves with an exciting new material displaying entirely different properties, such as TiNi akaTitaniumnichelide, a lightweight shape memory metal...TiAl akaTitaniumaluminide, lighter then Titanium yet much stronger...and so on )

In the case of ferrotitanium there are a vast variety of different materials, alloys and intermetallic phases that fall under that term. From Iron rich Fe alloy matrix (FeNb for corrosion resistance, FeAl for reduced weight etc etc etc) containing Fe2Ti intermetallic phases, through Ti alloy matrix containing TiFe, Fe2Ti and Fe3Ti intermetallic phases all the way to a eutectic TiFe intermetallic, all of these fall under the same category in commonjargon...ferrotitanium.
As anyone can imagine, ferrotitanium has been around ever since man started using metals, forging knives and swords, we just didn't know it yet. Long are the ways we have come from Damascus steel and Japanese Katana to our new ferrotitanium crankshafts, all thanks to a science many never even herd of, metallurgy. This science studies metals as the name implies, the scholars of it have often different terms to define a material then the common street jargon and usually an implied understanding of what some names, such as ferrotitanium, mean in terms of composition when spoken of in relation to a common application. It also happens now and then that a different term then the street jargon is used when the material in a certain application has evolved beyond the original composition.

In crankshafts terms that means that what Joe Blow understands under ferrotitanium has evolved from an Iron matrix containing mostly the Fe2Ti intermetallic phase to Ti matrix rich in Fe2Ti and TiFe intermetallic phases...something many today simply refer to as a titanium crankshaft.

Of course the natural evolution of the titanium crankshaft leads to a hollow single chunk of TiAl metal (intermetallic)...stronger than any alloy before yet lighter then ever. If only we knew how to make it...huh? Someone did, you say??...ah...great minds driving progress eye pop

Well, if this sort of contribution is appreciated by the few interested and capable minds in here just let me know, I gladly add my few pennies worth when I have a minute. Truth is, there is so much going on behind the scenes when it comes to materials that now days make our bikes that much more durable and powerful, much of it materials related. Materials and production methods which have been under development for up to decades...it is always interesting to get a glimps. I don't mind sharing what I know in terms of new materials...and even old materials, i.e. why in my opinion Reynolds steel is still the best option for a frame, if the interest is there.

Back
Top Bottom