The perfect digital companion for a tour - Microsoft Surface Pro or Macbook Air?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The reason the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet (with keyboard) caught my eye is that it runs full Windows 8 & a fast Intel Core i5 processor, ie it's a real computer with tablet capabilities. It makes running Garmin Basecamp & Mapsource mapping software simple and transferring data to and from a Garmin Montana GPS a breeze, for me these are a priority when out riding, route planning and mapping. It has a SSD hard drive, so getting bumped around shouldn't be too much of an issue with a 64GB & 128GB option.

Here's mine below with the magentically attached keyboard. It's about the same price as the Macbook Air, so the comparison is interesting.

9464493644_37092ccc4b_b.jpg

I've tried the Mac OS route (I own a Macbook air), it just doesn't work for me. As far as i'm aware Garmin Mapsource won't run in Mac OS, Basecamp does & a conversion process is needed to add new maps that you want to run in Garmin software. You can partition and run Mapsource in windows through Parallels or Bootcamp, but if you do that why not get a Windows based machine in the first place. Computer people tell me that Mac OS 10 software is completely different from earleir versions and you are set free from the Apple restrictiveness, so maybe going forward is the right way. For me after spending years in windows, staying windows based is the most productive way.

Windows 8 takes a bit of getting used to, it feels like you're running 2 operating systems at the same time, an app based system and the regular windows desktop.

The app store is currently quite small compared to Apple's app store but all the important things you need are there, you can set the apps up in folder groups to make them easy to find.

9464543672_3f33ccb238_b.jpg

Even though Mapsource shows up as an app below it actually opens in the regular computer "desktop" not as an app, all this takes some getting used to, but not a problem

9461765521_6c4f441425_b.jpg

Then you have the regular Windows based desktop too below

9464631056_51200d34c0_b.jpg

CNET did a review of the Microsoft Surface Pro in the link below:

Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro Review - Watch CNET's Video & Read Our Review - page 2

The good: The Microsoft Surface Pro fits a full ultrabook experience in a compact 10-inch tablet. Thanks to the ingenious Type and Touch covers, it offers a comfortable interface and typing experience. The clean, crisp design and sharp 1080p screen rise above the competition.

The bad: The battery life is disappointing, and more ports would be nice. The 64GB model barely has any free storage. It costs as much as a regular laptop, especially because the cool keyboard cover isn't included by default.
The bottom line: The Surface Pro's gutsy design successfully reinvents the Windows 8 laptop by cramming an ultrabook experience into the body of a 10-inch tablet. Those wanting to go all-in on the tablet experience won't regret buying the Surface Pro, but we're holding out for a future, more polished generation of the device.

002MicrosoftSurface_35332542_610x436.jpg

First impressions are good, it's fast, once set up and organized very user friendly. The magnetically attaching keyboard isn't a toy and types well, the onboard/ screen keyboard is excellent too

9464495510_128e034912_b.jpg

Only 1 USB port, not really too much of an inconvenience, it just means you need a USB hub. The Garmin mapping software runs great with good screen resolution/ definition, very happy with that.

9464491638_e2945a522b_b.jpg

9464544490_bb93a42f9d_b.jpg

No built in gps which is a shame, might look into a bluetooth gps

The big competitor is the 11 inch Macbook Air. One huge advantage of the Macbook Air is that it has over twice the battery life of the Microsoft Surface Pro, but no tablet / pen capablities which I think his a huge advantage of the Surface Pro.

Apple_MacBook_Air_11-inch_35781454_03_610x436.jpg

Good review of the 11 inch Macbook Air below:

Apple MacBook Air 11 Inch (2013) - CNET Reviews

The good: The new 11-inch MacBook Air manages a phenomenal 10-plus-hour battery life; base $999 model finally has 128GB SSD; still compact and comfortable to use.

The bad: New CPUs don't really boost performance over last year's Air; still lacking SD card slot; 11-inch display's not as high-res as competitors'.
The bottom line: Apple's new 11-inch Air goes a conservative route in 2013, emphasizing longer battery life and more affordable pricing over any big design changes. The battery boost alone might be worth it.

So for touring, where a good digital companion has become essential, there's some good choices out there.

Phil, I have an Air and love it to bits, but for touring, I prefer my old Sony VAIO even with an Atom as its only 800grams heavy, and I am familiar with the two photo and video software that I use. I find the MacAir cumbersome when it comes to working directly off cards and external devices. File management is much simpler in Windows - again familiarity.
But i like the Air formfactor, its sleep mode battery management, and robust body.
However, I want to parallel my Air for Windows for this coming Himalaya trip.

Interesting to see you're running into some of the same issues Nik.

Phil, I have an Air and love it to bits, but for touring, I prefer my old Sony VAIO even with an Atom as its only 800grams heavy, and I am familiar with the two photo and video software that I use. I find the MacAir cumbersome when it comes to working directly off cards and external devices. File management is much simpler in Windows - again familiarity.
But i like the Air formfactor, its sleep mode battery management, and robust body.
However, I want to parallel my Air for Windows for this coming Himalaya trip.

With battery life being the Surface Pro's weak point (Surface Pro 2 has enhanced battery life), Microsoft have released a "Power Cover", a keyboard with a built-in battery pack.

Surface Power Cover

power cover.jpg

Battery status then shows like this

battery left.jpg

Real world tests on how much extra battery power the power cover offers

Credit: Review: Microsoft Surface Power Cover

I did a more formal test too, streaming Netflix over Wi-Fi with brightness set at 75 percent. There the Pro 2 saw about a 33 percent increase with the Power Cover attached. On the original Surface Pro, which has much shorter battery life, the Power Cover gave it about a 67 percent boost. I'm not sure if video tests are the best way to test a full-blown PC's battery life, as there are a lot more background processes running than on mobile devices like the iPad. But you get the picture: the Power Cover can give the original Pro respectable uptimes, and it can turn the Pro 2 into an all-day machine - even under pretty heavy use.

11" Macbook Air (258gb storage) works for me personally, enough storage capacity for work and pleasure (movies, pic uploads, etc) and extreme battery life....
Haven't touch any Microsoft / Windows / PC electronics for a very long time and business wise and for private use are full on Apple...

Military spec - Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme

Dell Going after the Panasonic Toughbook market, They've just released for sale Waterproof/ dustproof & the screen flips to convert into a tablet, every connection port you could imagine (RS-232 serial port etc...).

Pricey - USD$ 3,600 ish and bulky but great quality.

Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme 12" Convertible Notebook | Dell

dell tablet.jpg

Made to go wherever your office is

Compact design: This 12" convertible notebook is ideal for tight spaces or situations that require a convenient hand-held device.

WiFi and broadband options: Stay connected out in the field with 802.11ac WiFi and options including 4G/LTE mobile broadband2 and a dedicated GPS.

Long battery life: With up to 9.1 hours of battery life3 from the standard 4-cell battery, you can keep plugging away without having to plug in.

Universal docking: Easily switch between vehicles and workspaces with universal docking solutions from Dell and Havis that are compatible with all Latitude Rugged devices.

Performance where it counts

Rock-solid storage: Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme offers all solid-state storage that’s fast, reliable and easily accessible. Simply open the protective cover and remove your drive when you need to.

Core strength: Beneath the durable exterior is a powerful 4th Gen Intel® Core™ processor ready to conquer your biggest tasks.

Multitask like you mean it: Stay on top of critical jobs using the latest productivity tools with up to Windows 7 Professional or
Windows 8.1 Pro.

Extensive device support: Connect the devices you use every day, from the latest USB 3.0 peripherals to legacy devices with a serial port, Ethernet port and an optional PCMCIA reader.

Adorama has the Microsoft Surface 3 on sale for USD $ 399. You dont need a pro version of the "3" as it runs full Windows 8/10, will run all your mapping stuff. You still need a keyboard, get the pro 4 version keyboard as its supposed to be really good. Ship it USA post office air, good chance it gets through with now import duty.

http://www.adorama.com/MIS7G500015.html?EmailPrice=T

adorama by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

On these tablets can you run/install normal .exe programs or is it just app based programs from stores?

I'm thinking about ordering one of these Pipo W4 Windows 8.1 Tablets for on-bike tuning however need it to be able to install and run tuning software I already have.
It only costs 4,000baht from Lazada and the reviews are OK.

Anyone have one of these and can share their experience?

348df6a44348437e27267994394cd0fc.jpg

http://youtu.be/bTIB0IQ6e7I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that's the beauty of the models that run full Windows.Make sure it has a decent chip and plenty of RAM or it will be super slow and keep crashing.

Yep that's the beauty of the models that run full Windows.Make sure it has a decent chip and plenty of RAM or it will be super slow and keep crashing.

So I ordered the Chuwi Hi8 for 3,900Baht. Its worth a go at that price and if it breaks in half not too many tears. The specs don't look too bad either
1920x1200 HD Screen
USB Slot
2.16GHz quad core processor
2Gb Ram + 32Gb ROM will accept SD up to 128Gb
Full Windows 10 accepts exe like PC
HDMI output, WiDi/Wifi and Bluetooth 4.0
The Lazada specs says it has built in GPS however can't find same from the Chuwi website specs.

Can switch between Windows and Android

http://en.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-Hi8-pro.html

Def worth a bash and ill let you know how it goes.

[video]https://youtu.be/TAVOSqU7e6U[/video]

So I ordered the Chuwi Hi8 for 3,900Baht. Its worth a go at that price and if it breaks in half not too many tears. The specs don't look too bad either
1920x1200 HD Screen
USB Slot
2.16GHz quad core processor
2Gb Ram + 32Gb ROM will accept SD up to 128Gb
Full Windows 10 accepts exe like PC
HDMI output, WiDi/Wifi and Bluetooth 4.0
The Lazada specs says it has built in GPS however can't find same from the Chuwi website specs.

Can switch between Windows and Android

http://en.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-Hi8-pro.html

Def worth a bash and ill let you know how it goes.

[video]https://youtu.be/TAVOSqU7e6U[/video]

If that will run Garmin Basecamp its perfect for travelling, let us know how it goes Johnny.

So 2 days and I had the Chuwi Tablet on my doorstep from Lazada.

Nice packaging and the unit does not feel like what it costs. Windows10 with license preinstalled and Android 4.4.4.

Main reason I got it was for tuning/capturing data with my bike while riding. Ive always had mac stuff however the Tuneboy software is Windows based so needed a PC. The size is just perfect for what i need too.
So far it just runs like a normal PC and quite surprised how quick everything seems.
1080HD videos on youtube played flawless. I must admit the screen is quite impressive.

It doesn't have HDMI out that must be the model up.

According to the forums it has a Broadcom GPS that needs to be enabled in the bios.... http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/hi8-bios-real-and-the-gps/

If you have fat fingers it might not be for you however i did connect a bluetooth mouse and it worked a lot better than using my finger.

It doesn't have any slots for a sim card. I suppose you can just create a hotspot with your phone and connect that way if you need to.

So i don't know, only time will tell how reliable it will be but so far so good....

Here it is where it will be mounted on the bike ready for some on the fly data capture

IMG_8332.jpg

Garmin Basecamp installed no problem and I loaded the 2015 Thailand map. I connected my Montana and was able to transfer data back and forward without any issues.

IMG_8327.jpg

IMG_8328.jpg

Thanks for the update, i have been looking at the Hi10 that has two full sized USB port's for not a lot more and HDMI, they have also launched the Hi12 which look's a pretty good buy also.

Anyone have any other experiences with the Chuwi? The Hi8 are still priced around 4,000฿ but the Hi10, almost double.

I have ordered the Chuwi Hi Book it's the latest model and thinner than the Hi 10 and the old Hi 8, dual boot but only comes with one USB port but the easy to work around.

Bob, did the Chuwi Hi12 come with Windows in English? I was considering to buy one in China, they sell for about 8.000 baht but was not sure about the language version.

Actually I changed the order to the new Hibook it a better spec and easier for travel, they come with English language and keyboard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes it was Marcel

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Bob, I will get the guys to order a Hi12 so it is at the Shanghai office for my next trip.

Only 3 more days left to upgrade free to Windows 10 from any device, after 29th July, 2016, you will have to pay to upgrade.

It's a long upgrade process, start today if you're going to do it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-happens-free-windows-10-upgrades-after-july-29-2016/

Did the free Windows 10 upgrade a while ago on my Surface pro 3 that came with 8.1.
Happy with it and prefer it to windows 8.1.

The free windows 10 upgrade also worked on my old acer laptop that was running pirated windows 7.

Keep an eye out for the new Xiaomi notebook, China's challenge to the Apple Macbook Air

https://twitter.com/xiaomi/status/758193905816834048/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The Mi Notebook Air could help turn Xiaomi's fortunes around. It comes in two sizes -- 13.3 inches and 12.5 inches -- which are priced at 4999 yuan ($750) and 3499 yuan ($525) respectively.
Both feature a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics card, Intel Core i5 processor and Windows 10.

160727064357-xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-780x439.png

Chinese gadget maker Xiaomi has unveiled its first-ever laptop -- a sleek machine with solid performance specs and an attractive price.

One problem: The new computer looks an awful lot like Apple's MacBook Air. It's even called the "Mi Notebook Air."

The similarities are likely to fuel critics who dismiss Xiaomi as a copycat that takes far too much design inspiration from Apple (AAPL, Tech30).
It's a reputation that Xiaomi executives have sought to counter.
Hugo Barra, the company's top international executive, has described the accusations as a "melodrama." He insists the company is innovative, and touts its use of curbed glass on the back of smartphones.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/27/technology/xiaomi-notebook-air-apple-copycat/index.html

For travelers, with the Microsoft Surface (non-Pro) models running full windows now, so Garmin Basecamp & Mapsource run fine, you might want to stick with the cheaper Surface non-Pro models.

Tests have shown that they battery life is significantly longer on the non-Pro models, as the run a less powerful configuration but more than adequate.

https://mariusmasalar.me/surface-3-vs-surface-pro-3-2894ea067be9#.g21ba4yqk

Battery

If you're wondering about battery life, I'll say only this: the Surface 3 made it through the day consistently and predictably, without any nasty surprises. It's no iPad, but the Surface 3 achieves the baseline for necessary battery performance in a modern device: it lasts long enough that I don't worry about it.

Still, you'll want to keep your charger handy for the Pro 3, whereas you can safely forget it at home with the 3.

The Surface 3, on the other hand, never left my side. It's just capable enough to handle the majority of tasks I needed it for, and the difference in size is enough to make it a comfortable daily carry.

New Macbook Pro announced 2 days ago with a touchscreen bar where the function buttons normally are. There is a budget model without the touchscreen bar available too.

The long-rumored "Magic Toolbar," an OLED-display strip for context-sensitive touch commands, is real. Apple calls it the Touch Bar, and it's worth all the hubbub. Just 60 pixels high (and 2,170 pixels wide), the Touch Bar could be a tool with the potential to be the Swiss Army knife of laptop input, changing itself on the fly to work across different apps, imitating a series of touch buttons, control sliders and even jog dials. This is Apple's answer to the touchscreens found on most Windows laptops.

ap_16301701755119.jpg

Not so cool: The MacBook Pro gets a painful price hike. The 13-inch Pro with a dual-core Intel Core i5, 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage costs $1,799. The 15-inch model, with a quad-core Core i7 (all part of Intel's sixth-generation of Core i-series chips, also known as "Skylake") and 16GB/256GB, sells for $2,399. The 15-inch models also include discrete AMD Radeon graphics, just as the larger preceding Pros did. In terms of battery life, expect 10 hours of work time on both sized models. That's a tiny boost versus the old 15-incher, and exactly the same for the 13. (See the chart at the bottom of the page for UK and Australian pricing.)

What you get with the new MacBook Pros

• Faster processors (roughly 50% faster)
  • Much faster graphics (roughly 2x faster)
  • Touch ID fingerprint sensor
  • Touch Bar secondary display
  • Wider Force Touch trackpad
  • More accurate butterfly keyboard switches
  • Brighter screen with wider color gamut
  • Roughly an hour of extra battery life (15-inch vs. 15-inch only)
  • Double the base memory (15-inch vs. 15-inch only)
  • Half a pound lighter, slightly thinner
  • 4 USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports for single-cable docking and charging
  • Faster solid state storage
  • Space gray color

https://www.cnet.com/news/new-macbook-pro-should-you-upgrade/

Microsoft Studio, looks awesome for photo edit/ mapping

Cr: Mr. Hanley for the find

Looks like USD $3,000

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...omputer-announced-features-price-release-date

Microsoft's main push with the Surface Studio is all about creativity, with a huge focus on 3D. Its unveiling comes alongside the announcement of the Windows 10 Creators Update. The Creators Update aims to make creating 3D content quick and easy for the company's millions of Windows 10 users. It'll include the biggest-ever update to the classic Paint app, now called Paint 3D, and more updates are on the way — including for apps in the Office suite. "Over the next year, you will see us integrate 3D across our most popular Microsoft applications," said Megan Saunders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bsacbob Bike Talk 16
Just Bob Bike Talk 1
B Bike Talk 0
Back
Top Bottom