New Lao-Cambodia Border Crossing Opens

mactbkk

Trade hope as border gate opens - Khmer Times

KHMER TIMES/MAY KUNMAKARA TUESDAY, 10 JANUARY 2017 1095 VIEWS

Trade hope as border gate opens

Laos’ Champasak province in the lower Mekong basin shares a common border with Cambodia. KT/Sonny Inbaraj Krishnan

Cambodia-Laos’ Trapeang Kreal international border gate opens officially today in an effort to promote trade and tourism between the Asean neighbors.

Prime Minister Hun Sen and his counterpart Thongloun Sisoulith will preside over the ceremony, Cambodia’s Foreign Ministry said.

The crossing connects Cambodia’s Stung Treng province with Laos’ Champasak province.

Thonglien Sibounthien, managing director of Viengchampa Tour in the Laos city of Luang Phrabang, said yesterday that the opening of the border gate will not only facilitate tourism but also boost trade between the countries.

“Opening the border is really good and that is very important for both of us. It means better income,” he said.

However he added that poor roads were still a concern and visas are expensive, aspects which each country has to improve.

The opening of the gate comes more than six months after the state visit of the newly elected Lao’s prime minister to Cambodia in June.

At the time Mr. Sibounthien urged Cambodia to increase trade and investment in its northern neighbor because commerce between the two countries was small and there was ample room for expansion.

In Channy, president and group CEO of Acleda Bank which has invested in Laos since 2008, also welcomed the opening of the gate.

He said it would play a big role in promoting investment, trade and investment with Laos.

“I think it is good news for both countries because it will not only promote good cross-border transportation but also bring in more tourists. In addition, it will be easy for businesspeople from both countries to have more connections and investment expansion.”

According to Mr. Channy, Acleda Bank has been expanding its branches throughout Laos.

At the end of December, the bank’s outstanding loans reached $121 million and deposits were $86.6 million.

The bank’s assets reached $156 million and capital was $36.7 million.

“This year we don’t have plans to expand more branches as we almost cover all provinces,” said Mr. Channy.

He said Acleda would soon launch an electronic banking system in Laos.

“This facilitates financial transactions between Cambodia and Laos and people of both nations can use the same services.”

Visitors from Laos to Cambodia fell in the first 11 months of last year.

Numbers dropped more than 10 percent to 314,415 from 349,759 in the same period a year earlier but Laos was still number five in the list of international visitors to Cambodia, said the Tourism Ministry.

Do you have the GPS co-ordinates of this new crossing?

This is the official opening of the existing Nong Nokkhien to Dong Kralor crossing - so nothing new here.

This is the official opening of the existing Nong Nokkhien to Dong Kralor crossing - so nothing new here.

LOL. So they are officially opening a border crossing that has already been open for years? I thought there was something strange here, the Nong Nokkien name already sounded familiar to me, but as they used a different name in the article I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

So there continues to be only one official international border crossing between Laos and Cambodia, unless the river crossing is still legal? Does anyone know?

LOL. So they are officially opening a border crossing that has already been open for years? I thought there was something strange here, the Nong Nokkien name already sounded familiar to me, but as they used a different name in the article I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

So there continues to be only one official international border crossing between Laos and Cambodia, unless the river crossing is still legal? Does anyone know?

The river crossing is now closed for foreigners for as far as I know.

No, I have not tried it and, judging from other people's experiences it seems to be quite a bit of a gamble. From Laos to Cambodia seems to be difficult while from Cambodia to laos things seem to be a bit easier. It seems th if you come from the Lao side, the Lao immigration will let you check first with the Cambo side if they will let you in. Once confirmed, you have to go back to the Lao side to complete the exit laos procedure.

No, I have not tried it and, judging from other people's experiences it seems to be quite a bit of a gamble. From Laos to Cambodia seems to be difficult while from Cambodia to laos things seem to be a bit easier. It seems th if you come from the Lao side, the Lao immigration will let you check first with the Cambo side if they will let you in. Once confirmed, you have to go back to the Lao side to complete the exit laos procedure.

Thanks LR

Based on reports I have read here and on other fora, it seems to be quite straightforward to exit from Cambodia to Laos. The Cambodian side might ask why you don't have any documents - just say you weren't given any where you entered and they might charge a "fine". I haven't heard of anyone being refused exit from Cambodia to Laos.

However, heading from Laos to Cambodia is difficult and refusals are common. You will likely be told you need a permit from Phnom Penh and even a bribe doesn't seem to sway officials there. Rare exceptions exist - there is a thread floating around somewhere (on here or GT rider? Can't be bothered searching for it now but if you're interested do a search) about a Singaporean rider who managed to cross from Laos to Cambodia quite easily about a year or two ago. No idea how that was possible, maybe he caught the right official at the right time but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Even Lao cars have trouble crossing here; if they aren't refused outright they may be told that they can only travel as far as Stung Treng and the driver must be Lao. I drove down to that border from the Lao side back in January. Very quiet crossing. No vehicles crossing except 2 lonely buses.

Back
Top Bottom