Myanmar transit applications on hold

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
As of 29th August, 2016, no new permits to transit Myanmar are being issued. If you already have permission issued to transit Myanmar, you can transit.

This could be a temporary "hold" situation while they complete the transport laws for the new Asia Highway through Myanmar.

Just confirming that this relates only to transit of Myanmar (for example from Thailand to India)? I'm planning a trip with my own vehicle to Myanmar but the route doesn't transit Myanmar, it starts and ends in Thailand using different entry/exit points. The trip won't be until December or early next year. However, when I contacted various Myanmar travel agencies 2 months ago, they happily provided costing and said there would be no problems embarking on my planned itineraries. Transiting the Kengtung-Taunggyi road requires a permit, but they can arrange it and seems to be done regularly now. Ordinary travelers without their own transport must either fly or obtain a permit and travel by car with driver, which can cost hundreds of dollars; flying is usually cheaper especially if you are traveling alone or in a small group.

I have also read that the main issue is with the Indian and Chinese borders not being international points of entry/exit. Hence why this rule has been implemented? Let's see what happens...although as long as we aren't restricted from driving into Myanmar from Thailand altogether this law won't affect me. Overlanders continuing to a third country however will be affected.

Back
Top Bottom