Motorcycle Travel Insurance for Overland Trip

MyriamRock

Bikes
BMW GS1200
Hello everyone!
Does anyone have recommendations for motorcycle travel insurance? Health insurance not for the bike.
My husband and I are both Canadians who have been living in Thailand for over 10 years. We are planning a big motorcycle trip for 2020 before immigrating back to Canada!
So... we're Canadian citizen but not residents. We live in Thailand but are not officially considered as residents either. ?
We have Thai and International motorbike license.
It's a bit of a special situation so I think we'll have to ask many companies.
Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!

Hello,
Thanks for your suggestion. However, this was recommended by an insurance broker who them called me back to say that this policy wouldn't work for us as motorbike is our main transport from one country to the next. It covers you if you're flying or taking a bus to your destination and then do a motorbike tour... but not for overland motorcycle touring... :cautious:
We really have to read the fine prints carefully as this was not clear in the "exclusions" on their website.

I have used Tokio Marine HCC medical insurance for a 5 year around the world trip on a motorcycle. They have been relatively smooth to deal with.

I have however never had any claims against them so in case of actually needing to use the insurance - I have no experiences.

As always - read all the small script and try to understand it.

We really have to read the fine prints carefully as this was not clear in the "exclusions" on their website.
Are you sure? I have used them several times on bike trips, because they were pretty much the only one to cover bike travel. However, their underwriters vary, depending on where you reside and as a consequence, so do their terms. Since you are planning to return to Canada, check out their terms for Canadian residents. You would want to be repatriated to Canada, if it came to the worst, wouldn't you?

Are you really sure?
I am Swiss citizen living in Singapore and have been using World Nomads for motorbike trips across SEA, on my own bikes as well as rented ones. So do my friends. Short comments:
- While I am not a lawyer, I do not see the exclusion you have mentioned in my policy (happy to send you a copy through email if you wish)
- You can purchase the insurance online, no need for a broker
- Exclusions regarding motorbikes are around third party liability, not wearing of helmet, not having appropriate license, pillion rider (see attachment)
- Motorcycle third party liability can be bought through other insurance companies in some countries, in others you can't if you are not a resident; however in Asia this should not be a major issue
- It is a good idea to read the World Nomads policy in detail, in my case this was particularly section 7
If you really come to the conclusion that World Nomads does not cover motorbike rides as mentioned in your inquiry, please let the community here know so we can learn. Thank you
Cheers and ride safely, Werner

Attachments

• Exclusion1.JPG
    Exclusion1.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 324
Back
Top Bottom