Motorcycle food topic: Is sausage Chiang Mai or German?

Constantine Phaulkon

The topic is food of the kind motorcyclists eat, so this is on topic. ;-) Reading the below you get the impression this chef in New York City is cooking a Chiang Mai, Thailand sausage specialty. But I understood that the best Chiang Mai sausage was from a German apprenticed sausage maker who lives in CNX with his Thai wife (name escapes me). Perhaps however he perfected a Thai tradition (with roots in Germany)? Or maybe sausage is universal, or the NY Times food writer got it wrong? Anyway, this German-Thai sausage restaurant in the east side of CNX about an hour drive from the center is well worth visiting, and I hope somebody posts their GPS coordinates or name so your can ride over there. Sundays is packed and they serve German beer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/27/dinin ... wanted=all

Chiang Mai sausage at Pok Pok NY in Brooklyn. More Photos »
By PETE WELLS
Published: June 26, 2012

AT first I didn’t notice the green chile paste at the center of the plate. I was in the backyard of a new Thai restaurant in Brooklyn called Pok Pok Ny (rhymes with “rock rock fly”), enjoying a deep communion with a grilled sausage that seemed to be everything anyone could want on a summer night. The sausage was rough-hewed and reddish, with little studs of melting pork fat and traces of galangal and white pepper that were flowery and spicy at the same time.

Though this sausage, a favorite in the Thai city of Chiang Mai, needed nothing more than a cold beer, I began dunking it into that chile paste. And then I’d dunk the Frito-size curls of fried pork rinds, and wedges of steamed kabocha squash, and long beans tied into knots. The paste, called naam phrik nuum, was hot but not chokingly so, and had some of the grassy sweetness of a grilled green bell pepper, and one quality that green bell peppers don’t have: I couldn’t get enough of it.

As I kept dunking, my perspective underwent a Copernican shift. The sausage had seemed to be the center of the universe, but it turned out that it, and everything else on the plate, revolved around that mesmerizing naam phrik nuum.

Altered perceptions come free with the price of dinner at Pok Pok Ny, which was opened by the chef Andy Ricker. Mr. Ricker owns an acclaimed cluster of casual Thai eating and drinking places in Portland, Ore., and a takeout joint for papaya salad and Vietnamese chicken wings on the Lower East Side, Pok Pok Wing.

Now he has set up his first sit-down restaurant in the city. New York is already lucky to have Ayada in Elmhurst, Queens, where the chef Duangjai Thammasat brings delicacy and beauty to fiery dishes, and Sripraphai in Woodside, Queens, which Sripraphai Tipmanee, the owner, has made into a beacon for Thais and non-Thais alike. Ms. Thammasat is from Thailand’s central heartland; Ms. Tipmanee is from the south. Zabb Elee, in Jackson Heights, Queens, and in the East Village, offers the electrifying flavors of Isan, the country’s northeast.

The G&M sausage is western style sausage and pork product..

But Thailand have a whole selection of their own 'meat in tube form' creations.. Uber garlicy ones, mildly spicy ones, usually very strong flavors.

Back
Top Bottom