Motorcycle accessory shop in Tachilek, Myanmar

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Motorcycle accessory shop in Tachilek, Myanmar

Once you're across the Thai border at Mae Sai into Tachilek, Myanmar
P1010030.jpg

Once across the bridge, on your RHS is the market. on the southern (back towards Thailand) side of the market there is an interesting motorcycle accessory shop which the locals seem to know as the "Harley" shop.

Plenty of interesting things for sale at cheap prices. Some over-runs from American vendors orders, some are copies, they are quite open as to what is real and what is a copy, some photo's below:

P1010040.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010033.jpg

which is real!
P1010041.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010031.jpg

I made my first trip to Tachilek on March 14th. I rode there for two reasons: I'd never been there and mainly wanted a decent rain jacket.
I noted one change in the fees: Burma still charges 500-Bt for the days visa, but although I'd taken photocopies of my passport the Thai side charged me 100-Bt to process keeping my passport, prior to my entering Burma.

As earlier stated, the staggering amount of shops can be overwhelming to some, but it was fun to explore. I'd a copy of MotoRex's map of the 3 bike shops...sadly it was not specific enough and proved to be no help. None-the-less...with a little diligence I found all of them.

Only one bike shop had any rain gear...and that was a mere 4-sets of all black pants & jackets that lacked any night reflective tape and they were all emblazoned with the Harley Davidson name. Ah...no thanks! I felt I had to buy something...so bought 2-prs of riding gloves...though adding the cost of the visa to such a small purchase made them a good but not a great deal.

Though I was hot and sweaty, I liked experiencing the hordes of people and shops of Tachilek and will surely go again sometime.

Has anyone been across to Tachilek recently and can give a report? Looks like I might be able to get there in a couple of weeks as part of a road trip. I've never been there before, so can someone tell me what time of the day they get going over there? Would it be feasible to cross at, say, 9 o'clock, have a look around (bike stuff only) and be back in Mae Sai, ready to leave, at noon?
Also, does anyone know if they have any worthwhile dual-sport helmets over there?

Tom .. you could be all done over there in an hour if you were in a rush, everything is right next to the border post.

Tom said:
Has anyone been across to Tachilek recently and can give a report? Looks like I might be able to get there in a couple of weeks as part of a road trip. I've never been there before, so can someone tell me what time of the day they get going over there? Would it be feasible to cross at, say, 9 o'clock, have a look around (bike stuff only) and be back in Mae Sai, ready to leave, at noon?
Also, does anyone know if they have any worthwhile dual-sport helmets over there?

Thanks Phil.

Any idea what time they open?

BTW, going for the all time posts-per-hour record, are we :d ?

They open about 0900am i think.

Just got back from a trip and catching up, lots of great content to read and add to here, great stuff.

Tom said:
Thanks Phil.

Any idea what time they open?

BTW, going for the all time posts-per-hour record, are we :d ?

I want to add to what Phil said earlier...about them being honest about what is real and what is copy....In reality, there are just 2 copies.....of diff quality....the stuff they tell you is a copy, obviously is, and is of crap quality and a cheap price....THEN there is the stuff they say is original...I can tell you 100% sure that 3 items I bought as Dainese were in fact D copies...I used to be a Dainese retailer and knew that the numbers printed on the hang tag and inside every D product could be checked for a part number etc, as well as the product line name is printed on all their cards....Well, none of them exist. At all. Period. Not discountinued, not made for another market. Complete copies and fake, using genuine stationary, but false info....All but one thing, the waterproof pants ahve been great, though..And def not real, after 2 years, you know...A real Dainese would not wear like this...But the prices were about 70% cheaper than what you'd pay for that actual D product...So just don't be fooled...Same with the A-star stuff...In the day of smart phones, just google whatever the product name is.....see is the company even makes that item.....

Back
Top Bottom