Mikuni TM 34 carb touches e-start motor

esspressolungo

Bikes
Honda XR 250
As the FCR33 carb from Keihin was not economical enough for, I change to a Mikuni TM34 flat slide non-pumper, the thing worked from the very first moment, I got it from XRSonly and they sure know how to dial those things in.
The only problem I encountered was that it cannot be installed in an upright position. So I turned it about 15 % but now one corner of the float bowl touches the e-start motor. Some people have told me I cannot ride like this, but I tried it and so far it ran great.

Would be nice to get some input from the pros here, as I am not a mechanic and my technical know how is limited.

Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn`t expect the tilting to cause any issues but the fact that the bowl is touching part of the engine could lead to problems when it gets extremely hot....vaporisation,electrical short? would be my main concerns.

I guess you`ll just have to have a few long rides and see how it goes.

Yeh, touching and it getting hot would be my worry. I had to file a drain outlet on the carb to stop that happening on my old KLX.

Thanks for the input, apreciate it. Seems like I am not very lucky with the carbs, the mikuni uses just as much as the FCR 33 did, to be exact 1 liter per 10 km, so I would get 90 kms out of my tank, before it was 160 until I pulled reserveg, now I am back to stock carb, seems like those carbs are made for racing where fuel consumption is not a matter, for me it is.

Will see if I can get some more infos about the carb, it works best so far, but for now I am back to stock...

Thanks for the input, apreciate it. Seems like I am not very lucky with the carbs, the mikuni uses just as much as the FCR 33 did, to be exact 1 liter per 10 km, so I would get 90 kms out of my tank, before it was 160 until I pulled reserveg, now I am back to stock carb, seems like those carbs are made for racing where fuel consumption is not a matter, for me it is.

Will see if I can get some more infos about the carb, it works best so far, but for now I am back to stock...

No option of a larger tank ???

Back
Top Bottom