Gas -Drain the carb when leaving for 2 -3 months?

Patong2

Bikes
Keeway 250 twin cruiser, in Thailand,
I have a Chinese 250cc V twin and having trouble starting it when I get back to Thailand after 2 - 3 months.
Should I be draining the carb ie run the carb dry before I leave?

Any suggestions or advice appreciated

Are you sure these starting issues are caused by the fuel system? Do you run it on Gasohol?
If you are in doubt, just drain the entire fuel system (tank, carb and all) before you leave and refill with fresh fuel upon return.

Thanks for the quick replies, great of you.

I run it usually on Shell 95.
Pretty sure it is fuel, have spark OK but I have nowhere I can strip the carb out to clean and to be honest I physically have trouble kneeling so it is impractical for me to play with that myself. Happy to pay for it to be done, just a hassle to get to the bike shop.

Shell is only gasahol.. Also I dont think theres any 95 benzine left being sold by any of the chains ?? Only 91.

I dont think 2 months is a timescale I would worry about draining so much.. But 6 months or so.. then yeah..

I would ran a tank full of benzine through it before departing..

Out here in the sticks they only sell 95 benzine, (apart from Gasohol 91 and 95, diesel and some pumps E20), 95 benzine is what I ran the DR650 on.
The farmers here need 95 benzine as that is what their agricultural engines run on, my bushcutter only accepts 95 benzine.

Plus 95 benzine is what they use here to mix up to 2 stroke fuel, you don't want gasohol in your 2 stroke chainsaw!

Esso Thoeng has it, PTT Thoeng and PTT Phaya Mengrai too, I have never seen 91 benzine out here.

Are you sure.. Very often I ask them.. In Thai.. and they say the 95 is benzine.. but the pump clearly writes gasohol.. During the changeover when they phased out red 91, then had 95 only, then moved back over to 91 they at least used to label the non gasohol, cant remember seeing RON on the non ethonol taps in ages. 95 was up in the mid 40s per liter but with the oil price falls I have lost track. That was the way to tell between 91 and 95 even when everyone lies..

Shell are the absolute worst for that.. They dont sell any non ethanol petrols, and yet if you ask them.. 80% or more of the time they try to say the 95 is benzine.. Even when you can clearly read gasohol in thai.. When you call them on it they get sheepish or walk away so its not accidental.

As you say.. I have 2 strokes which need it, and my blade runs like crap on it (high compression pistons, decked block etc).

95 benzine is quite common and ATM going for around 36 baht/L.
I always have it in mine as the last tank on a ride as i never know when the next one will be so the bike is always stored with benzine in it.

PTT call it Blue Gasoline now and has the yellow background displayed on the pump and the price board out the front,usually pick up if a station has it from there by the price displayed or keep looking if they don't have it...

Oil Price in Bangkok and Vincinity

Shell i think don't have it.

95 benzine is quite common and ATM going for around 36 baht/L.
I always have it in mine as the last tank on a ride as i never know when the next one will be so the bike is always stored with benzine in it.

PTT call it Blue Gasoline now and has the yellow background displayed on the pump and the price board out the front,usually pick up if a station has it from there by the price displayed or keep looking if they don't have it...

Oil Price in Bangkok and Vincinity

Shell i think don't have it.

Really useful post and I have been pondering how to read the pumps to make sure I get gasoline. That makes it easy.

Appreciate the information on here, you have all been very helpful.

Went hunting for 96 no ethanol and couldn't find a local PTT station but pulled into a Caltex station on the road from the airport to Phuket town and they had 95 at 39B a liter and right next to it 95 with ethanol. Filled the tank with the dearer stuff (no ethanol) and used since, now on third top up.

Bike is running better, went to Vietnam for 8 days, drained the carbs before going, and the bike started relatively easy so it's looking good so far.

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom