Keihin Thailand PE 28 Carburetor

esspressolungo

Bikes
Honda XR 250
Just got my bike back from the valve job, when I passed Saengchai Motors I couldn't help stopping. So I had a look and found a Keihin PE 28 Carb made by keihin/Honda Thailand, i asked several times if this was the real deal or not. The shop manager guaranteed this was an original carb and not a replica or copy, I bought it for 1895.--THB. Many of you might know I had carb problems and tried to find a solution for my bike. The Keihin FCR 33 was the most powerful carb I ever had on, the Mikuni ™ 34 second place and now this Keihin PE 28 from Thailand.

Tomorrow I will ride it around town a little bit, seems like it is the perfect fit for the XR250, didn't need to re-jet and ran very strong from the very beginning, I will post pictures later, so you can have a look.

Was this the solution, so easy and just here? We will see tomorrow. I shall report more.
But for this money you cannot go wrong I reckon

Is it not too small for a 250, Rudi?
Well what can I say, the original carb is now 32mm, the older XR's have 30mm, the CV carb are great carbs, but parts are very hard to come by and I was just tired of trying to fix the carb over and over again, the 28 might be a little small, but it's also a total different carb, that's used more for racing, a lot of guys here put it on the NSR with very good results, what did I have to loose. I read on thumper talk a lot about carb for the XR's and most go up, but they also have big bore kits installed. Then I read about one guy putting a 28 mm carb on his XR with very good results, that gave me the green light to think this can work…we will see soon how the story continues...

Geez i got a PE 28 sitting in my spares box doing nothing 555

It was bolted onto my ZX150 but i ended up getting an original Mikuni for it but should have gone for an OKO 30ml D slide like i have on the KDX...which works really well on it.
From memory what i found was that the copy Keihin PE 28`s had a round main jet of which are abundant here in LOS and the originals hex main jet or something to do with the choke setup,not 100% sure but there was a slight difference somewhere but they are made in Chon Buri. They are still a round slide though so probably won`t make any difference.

They are a popular hop up part on the Wave racer type bikes here.

O.k. so here's my impression after the first longer ride. Acceleration great no bog until about 80 km/h after that it start sputtering and doesn't accelerate anymore or very hard, cannot reach the top end about 125 km/h. I get a lot of blue smoke. Well it's a two stroke carb maybe the gas doesn't get burned right.

Any suggestions? Wondering to go up or down on main jet and pilot jet??? I just wished someone had knowledge about this, I am so tired of fiddling around, something bolt on and go, seems like I can open a small museum with different carbs soon….hahahah

The carb wont be causing the blue smoke Rudi, its just fuel + air going in, so the blue smoke must be from engine oil. Even though its a 2 T carb your engine doesnt know that.
I would try going down on MJ first, if it did come from a smaller bore 2T it likely has a pretty big MJ.

The carb wont be causing the blue smoke Rudi, its just fuel + air going in, so the blue smoke must be from engine oil. Even though its a 2 T carb your engine doesnt know that.
I would try going down on MJ first, if it did come from a smaller bore 2T it likely has a pretty big MJ.

Thanks Darren, I will check which main jet is on and tune it down from there, hopefully I will succeed this time….

Little update: MJ 152 PJ 40 I think the setting is pretty close, it pulls nice and strong even in second gear uphill, so the bottom seems alright, now I need to adjust the top speed, after 80kms it's getting a little congested, maybe I will try MJ 145 and read the spark plug again

Small carbs have a faster flow, that´s the reason for the goof acceralation. But on high RPM comes not enough gas. I´ve tried also a 28 Mikuni in my (Georg´s) DR, didn´t work. Carb is brandnew and for sale.

Small carbs have a faster flow, that´s the reason for the goof acceralation. But on high RPM comes not enough gas. I´ve tried also a 28 Mikuni in my (Georg´s) DR, didn´t work. Carb is brandnew and for sale.

Harry, was ist das denn für ein Mikuni? ein TM oder eine VM, was willst Du dafür haben, sag mal Bescheid, geile Tour heute.

Back
Top Bottom