Mai Sai - Tachilek border crossing - 23 June 2014

BobS

Some slight proceedure changes at the Passport office entering Myanmar:

1. They accepted the legal fee - $10 USD - instead of insisting on 500 baht.

2. They did ask if I was staying over or returning that day. Then they stamped my passport with dated entance and exit stamps and handed it back to me, instead of keeping it until I exited. They did not issue the temporary entrance card.

4. When exiting, they did check my passport to confirm that it was propery stamped.

My wife entered on the 30 baht single day pass for Thai citizens, issued at the old immigration office about 2 km south of the bridge. She was able to get the pass on Sunday for use on Monday.

An update in January 2015:

Proceedures and costs still the same for us.

I did see that Thai Immigration at the bridge now has a booth before you enter the building.

I also saw that they have gone back to a proceedure that I saw many years ago. For tourists that want to go over just for the day, Immigration asks for 2 photocopies of your passport, and they sign you out on the copies - not in the passport. That way you don't lose the visa that you are in Thailand for, and don't have to worry about getting another when you return.

What is the cost of this BobS ? I live between C/Rai and M/Sai and when I last did a booze run over to Myanmar I was charged 500B for leaving T/land and 500B to enter Myanmar. My passport was put in an envelope , I was given a number on a card and this was handed back on my return at the same office. Easy but it takes the fags and booze price up.

I have a retirement visa, and a multiple use re-entry permit - so I just sign out of Thailand and sign in when I return. No charge for that.

Across the bridge, I always try to pay $10 USD. Sometimes they refuse to accept USD and insist on 500 baht. These last trips, they took the $10 without question.

While I did see tourists using the photocopies to sign out, I did not see if there was a fee charged.

Back
Top Bottom