Police photo fines for no helmet in Chiang Mai

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
First i've seen of this. The Police in Chiang Mai are now taking photographs of riders with no helmets and their registration plate number. You then get a letter in the mail with a photo of you with no helmet and photo of your registration plate to prove it was you. They request in the letter that you go to a police station and pay a 400 bht fine.

A copy of one of the letters is below:

camera helmet fine.jpg

They must have learned from Shanghai / China as they started a few weeks ago to mail "camera" tickets (200 RMB fine) for illegal parking around larger shopping malls and for not wearing seats belts in cars (200 RMB fine).
In the past, they used very sticky yellow tickets on the driver side windows for illegal parking only and the police had to physically stop you and issue a written / printed ticket for not wearing a seat belt (4-wheelers).

Yeah I pulled up at the lights near airport central.. and each bike that crossed the line, the cop walked from his booth, behind the bike, photoed the plate, etc etc..

The bizarre thing was, as obvious as it was he was documenting the crime, no one even looked at him, eyes straight ahead pretending it wasnt happening, as he went by one at a time walking from his booth, going 2m behind them, taking the pic.. Neither the riders nor the cop speaking or acknowledging each other at all..

He must have done 15 or more bikes around the junction in the one red light cycle. Most with helmets but crossing the line..

This has been going on for ages. I was fined for no helmet over a year ago. They took a picture and sent it to the registered address. I paid at the police station but had to pay 500 baht, not 400, as an 'administration' fee.

Looks like they've started again...

they'd want to mail them out fairly quick in the case of hire bikes and people on a short holiday vacating the country soon after.

i guess a fine wont apply to them because of that.

My plate is kept in my room and it stays there too

What's your rationale Colin? Had problems with plates coming off on trails before?

I have had one come off before on trails, I have never been stopped for having no plate anyway.
The bike is less then 90 days old so I can still show them the receipt from Kawasaki.

I have had one come off before on trails, I have never been stopped for having no plate anyway.
The bike is less then 90 days old so I can still show them the receipt from Kawasaki.

Just loosed my Red plate on a new CRF North of Nan on a bumper section on road , fixing top bolts are still in place bang goes my 100 b deposit on the plate :ride:

Back
Top Bottom