Mae Kuang

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
Not far from home and a few spare hours, so today's ride was to explore the area around Mae Kuang Reservoir.
Following the Irrigation Canal from 118 I heard some laughter off to my right and, sure enough, there was a group of Novices enjoying themselves in the water.

DSC03223.jpg

DSC03225.jpg

DSC03226.jpg

About 500 metres up-stream from where the lads were swimming I was able to actually smell what was being poured into the canal !!!! :topes

The actual reservoir is impressive and there are many paved and dirt tracks to explore in that area.

DSC03228.jpg

There's a restaurant (Ta Leua Lung Jalaurn) at

N 18.93900
E 099.13279

DSC03229.jpg

.... which was very pleasant.
They are open every day until 'around 8pm'.
Take note that this is one of those places that uses 2 menus.
One is written in English and Thai and does not mention the price of the items, so it's best to actually ask before ordering.
Obviously, their fish is fresh and delicious.
There is another more comprehensive menu hidden away which can be requested.

Cool breezes, quiet, friendly staff, reasonable food.

DSC03231.jpg

DSC03234.jpg

Beware of their guard dog though.

DSC03230.jpg

It looks like river cruises are available.
There was a lot of fishing activity when I was there. (G'day Kevin)

DSC03232.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

Sadly, some of the tracks that show on the Montana are actually blocked.

DSC03236.jpg

But there are plenty of options for an interesting ride, with some good views available.

DSC03238.jpg

Lots of tracks, bird-life, abandoned building, mansions. Lots to see.

DSC03239.jpg

From here I set the new GPS to 'get me home before the approaching storm' ....

DSC03249.jpg

DSC03250.jpg

... and it did. Just!

DSC03242.jpg

Another nice trip out there Ron.

The weather is certainly turning skys into dramatic scenes ;)

I like that restaurant at the water. I can sit there for hours watching the water.

Ally

Some great looking photos there, makes me extremely jealous! Although at times I love living in Bangkok I'd much rather be up north.

What camera do you use?

Thank you Ally, Phil and Satonic.
I use a Sony Cybershot HX100V which enables up to 800mm zoom.
Nice travelling camera and it enables portrait-taking without being too invasive.

Thank you Ally, Phil and Satonic.
I use a Sony Cybershot HX100V which enables up to 800mm zoom.
Nice travelling camera and it enables portrait-taking without being too invasive.

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at that camera, I have always like Sony, my last was a Samsung and I wasn't too impressed. Just need it to be easy to travel with and able to take a few knocks without falling apart!

Cheers

So buy her a bike too! :RE
Good to see you here satonic.

Funny you should say that, I have shown her the pics of some of the jungle trails on here and the many river crossings and she loved it. However she can't ride a motorcycle ( I know... And yep she is Thai! ) I did find a pic of the smaller klx 110 or 125 next to its big brother the 250, she thought it was cute and called it daddy and mummy's bikes haha so maybe I can get her involved. I'd feel a lot happier with her riding offroad rather than the crazy roads in bkk. We have a car for that.

Oh I have just realised what's happening.... Now maybe 2 bikes and a camera! I'm gonna have to get another job at this rate ;)

Cheers

Funny you should say that, I have shown her the pics of some of the jungle trails on here and the many river crossings and she loved it. However she can't ride a motorcycle ( I know... And yep she is Thai! ) I did find a pic of the smaller klx 110 or 125 next to its big brother the 250, she thought it was cute and called it daddy and mummy's bikes haha so maybe I can get her involved. I'd feel a lot happier with her riding offroad rather than the crazy roads in bkk. We have a car for that.

Oh I have just realised what's happening.... Now maybe 2 bikes and a camera! I'm gonna have to get another job at this rate ;)

Cheers

After a lot of pestering from my wife I arrange for her to meet up with a friend of mine here in Pattaya, who runs a tour business he has a KLX140 and spent 20 - 30 minutes teaching her to change gear and use a back brake then approx 3 hours out on the trails around here. Her smile got bigger and bigger every time we stopped for water, as the smile got bigger I knew my wallet was in for a bashing. She now has her own 140 and loves it. More often than not, she suggests we take the bikes out and is getting pretty good, not particularly quick but is more than capable of tackling the trails around here including the ascents and descents.

Its possibly one of the best things I did as now I do not feel guilty working away for 6 weeks then heading out on my own when Im home, we are out 3 or 4 times a week rain or shine and making longer and longer and harder rides. Either October or January hopefully we'll stick the bikes on the pickup and head up to CM for a week or so riding up there.

The 140 is ideal size but height and engine for her at the moment.

Nice story Gareth.
Give us some advanced notice before you visit CM and we'll take care of you.

Back
Top Bottom