Letter of Residence to transfer motorcycle registration

Now, what is the difference in the types of Visas and how will they affect me when buying a motorcycle?

A motorcycle you can buy and own in your name as long as you are in the country legally at the time of purchase, any type of VISA or entry stamp is sufficient, at least in Pattaya/Chon Buri.

To buy a car it is different for some reason, then tourist status is not sufficient.

I spoke to the Thai Embassy here in Lima Peru. They told me that I can not apply for a visa in Peru as an American citizen. And that I would have to return to the US to do that.
She also told me that "visas on arrival" are not issued at the airport and that I would be returned. I am pretty sure she is wrong on that one as the US State Department's web site says otherwise.
But in any event, it looks like it will not be possible to get a visa prior to my departure.
Just so I can sleep better, can someone else confirm that I will get a visa on arrival to BKK with just my passport.
And what is the difference between obtaining a visa prior to departure and a "visa on arrival"?
My plan is to obtain a LOR so I can purchase a motorcycle in my name and ride around SE Asia for 5 months
Thanks

You will get a visa exempt entry.. A visa on arrival is a different thing. But you will get a 30 day entry stamp to Thailand.

KTM told me, their wait times for plates had dropped to a week, from when they hand in the complete paperwork.
So yes, VERY short wait times now.

The waiting time for plates on a new bike also depends on who actually owns the bike that is sitting in the shop. In many cases, the bike is still owned by the factory - because the dealer has not yet paid for the bike.

Nothing can be done until the dealer takes your money, and passes it along to the factory. After that happens, he can start the transfer to you.

And, of course, there is never any delay time before the dealer lets go of the money :-)

I have my plane ticket to BKK. I arrive this Saturday evening.
I plan to take the train to Chiang Mai Sunday but I heard the train was not running. Is that true?
Looking forward to meeting some new friends and doing some riding

Trains were stopped after derailing god knows how many times in the last year.. I havent seen any info that they have restarted yet ??

Received my LoR today, exactly one week from the day I submitted it. The best part- FREE! No hint for tips, no tip box, free of charge...
icon_smile.gif

Yeah free now and done at an office behind the old CM immigration building along with processing of Burmese so the old office is looking a little empty now.

Asked for 2 copies LoR and have to go back in 5 days to pick them up...i wonder when this will change again :(

i tried to get a LOR at the US consolate in CM
but i couldnt get an appointment until mid January
And i was told i couldnt get an LOR at the Thai office because i had a visa on arrival
i contacted an attorney and 3 days later and 2000 Baht poorer, i had my LOR
i got my green book transfered with a copy
i used the original to get my Thai driver's license
the license they issue is good in most countries in SE Asia including Vietnam and it only cost 155 Baht plus another 100 for the medical check.
i am ready to roll

i tried to get a LOR at the US consolate in CM
but i couldnt get an appointment until mid January
And i was told i couldnt get an LOR at the Thai office because i had a visa on arrival
i contacted an attorney and 3 days later and 2000 Baht poorer, i had my LOR
i got my green book transfered with a copy
i used the original to get my Thai driver's license
the license they issue is good in most countries in SE Asia including Vietnam and it only cost 155 Baht plus another 100 for the medical check.
i am ready to roll

Great current info, thank you.

@fd177 - Now that you have a Thai driver license, you should be aware of the odd proceedures in past years to renew it.

Your first license was good for 1 year. If you renewed it before it expired, you would get another 1 year license.

If you waited until after it expired, you could get a 5 year license. TIT

Of course, this only matters if you will be coming here for future years.

Are you sure about Vietnam ?? A bunch of riders just got their bikes impounded due to not having local licenses.

@fd177 - Now that you have a Thai driver license, you should be aware of the odd proceedures in past years to renew it.

Your first license was good for 1 year. If you renewed it before it expired, you would get another 1 year license.

If you waited until after it expired, you could get a 5 year license. TIT

Logic being the 1 year is a sort of provisional or learners license.. and you must have a license for a full year for them to issue you the 5 year.. You couldnt get an IDP off a 1 year either.

I was always told you must not let the 5 year expire, to do so would mean doing tests again and starting with another 1 year. So the 1 year HAD to expire the 5 year MUST NOT !!

Unsure on that 5 year aspect tho as I didnt chance it.

there was a sign at the Thai land transportation office that said this smart card license is good in 10 countries in SE Asia and vietnam was included. i even asked the gal and that is what she told me. but i will find out for sure when i get my butt over there in February.
in other news, i found a little trail inside the burmese border so i will be camping with my motorcycle inside burma tonight.
pictures to follow on my AdvRider RR.

A British friend is here on a 30 day Tourist entry, and is buying one of my bikes. We went to Chiang Mai Immigration today to get a Letter of Residence. We were told that they are NOT issuing LORs to anyone on 30 day Tourist entrys - only on the longer visas issued by a Thai Embassy.

So, off to the British Consulate. He was able to apply for one there, and will pick it up tomorrow. But, the cost is up to 2950 baht for it.

^ i picked up my LoR`s today. First one was free the second 100baht....bargain!!

^ i picked up my LoR`s today. First one was free the second 100baht....bargain!!

I needed another three of these things so back again,yes got a bit going on ATM.

This time asked for 200 baht for each additional letter after the first free one. So he had his hand out for 400 baht and i politely reminded him that he asked for 100 baht for each additional copy only 2 weeks ago to which he just shrugged and kept his hand out.

He`s fast and efficient and easy to deal with so really no complaints.

TiT!!

If your doing everything at the same time.. CM accepts one letter and makes multiple copies of it and puts a red stamp on them.

I did 2x licenses and 1x vehicle transfer from one letter.

Got car and bike stuff in multiples going on ATM..licences and transfers from phuket and they did take a couple of copies last time around.

In the process of transferring a Thai registered motocycle into my name. At the land/ motor vehicles office near the Holiday Inn in Chiang Mai, they did NOT ask for a letter of residence from the seller & they saw that he was on a 14 day "visa exempt" immigration stamp entry into Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom