Letter of Residence to transfer motorcycle registration

Any ideas how long the one from the consulate is valid for? I forgot to look at the one I got!

An awful lot longer then the ones from immigration, I cant remember if it was 1 years validity

Heard both 14 and 30 days.. think it's on the whim of the officer.

EDIT that's an immigration one, see no reason why one would be valid longer than another. Both should be showing your current address so how current must it be.

Just back from CM imm. office where i managed to get my 90 day report done in a new record total of 10 mins :)

I thought i`d try and get a letter of residence while i was there and the new farang looking girl on the middle desk informed me that "booked out today come back monday and we can do".

So LiL`s rumor seems to be on the money.

Posted top day on ThaiVisa: Today's Resident Certificate Experience - Chiang Mai Forum - Thailand Forum

I needed ANOTHER Resident Certificate today and made my way in to immigration. Had my application all filled out, a copy of every page necessary from my passport, a letter stating that I live at the apartment building, two photos... and viola!!!! She handed me a slip of paper that said to come back on July 2nd and pick it up. So that's a new one. I'm done questioning what Thai people, what the Thai government, what any and every one in this country, are doing. That's the way it is today. Next week? Who knows. Good luck!

^ the whole LoR thing has become hit and miss here in CM.

They`ve built up a backlog of people needing them now by not issuing them for a period of time.
That small office is becoming a mad house and best avoided if possible.

I'm off to CM Immigration on Monday, Nov 11 for the infamous Residency letter, will post back on how it went. My recent experience was that I needed a LOR from Pattaya to buy the CBR250 in Sukhothai. Luckily my GH scanned the original and produced a color copy that was accepted by Sukhothai DLT to put my name in the Green book. Two weeks later I went to Chonburi DLT to get (Chonburi) plates and, of course, they insisted on an original letter. Two weeks later I sold my CBR150 and the prick at Pattaya DLT would not accept a copy of the Aug 6 LOR. Back to Pattaya Immigration for another letter.

Just to confuse the issue even further, CM Immigration Police are now back to issuing LoR, so you do NOT need to apply for one of the insanely expensive ones at your Consulate!

They are obviously working to a month/quota schedule, so I'd take the whole thing on a wish & prayer from now...... one month you'll get it, the next you will not, depending on applications at the Immigration Stn.
My latest one was accepted very quickly but they will not provide same day/next day service..... you'll have to wait a week for the certificate.

TiT

Just to confuse the issue even further, CM Immigration Police are now back to issuing LoR, so you do NOT need to apply for one of the insanely expensive ones at your Consulate!

They are obviously working to a month/quota schedule, so I'd take the whole thing on a wish & prayer from now...... one month you'll get it, the next you will not, depending on applications at the Immigration Stn.
My latest one was accepted very quickly but they will not provide same day/next day service..... you'll have to wait a week for the certificate.

TiT

Hi Martin! I thought about a LoR from the US Consulate but they have an online appointment system now, and I'd have to wait several days to get in- and pay 1,550 baht. So I'll go with CM Immigration. The last LoR I got at Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration was 300 baht and about a ten minute wait. But I'm not at Pattaya now and ITI :)

Latest LoR experience as of Nov 11: arrived at 0830 and the place was already packed. A thai girl who has a friend at Immigration accompanied me, hoping we could get the LoR sooner. No way! A nice student took my application, but she was as dumb as a box of rocks. Presented all of my documents but there is no Moo number on the very correct looking rental contract. We call the Landlord- the building does not have one. OK, what is the street name? Its printed on the contract but she has to have it verified by the Landlord. There was no argument and I even wore long pants and a white shirt (polite maak!) Just a young student afraid of her shadow and needs to be reassured about each and every detail. Yeah, I understand enough Thai to know that she was asking basic questions like the street name, even when its written AND printed on the contract. While she was at it, she made me get new photos. My face was "too big" on the 4 x 6 cm pics I submitted... Those very same pics worked at Pattaya Immigration for two retirement extensions, one reentry permit and two residence letters. Again, no arguments, just a student in a minor position scared to death of making a mistake. I'm surprise she didn't reject the Lease for something like: Incorrect font" or some other no common sense reason. The wait is one week, can pick up in the afternoon on the 18th. There is a sign outside the small Residence Letter building saying "Free Service" Gawd, I would hope so :)

Received my LoR today, exactly one week from the day I submitted it. The best part- FREE! No hint for tips, no tip box, free of charge...
icon_smile.gif

Went to Hong Noi DLT with the seller, filled out the paper work, serial numbers checked and told I could pick up the Greenbook tomorrow afternoon
icon_smile.gif

After the number check, I watched staff enter the year, make and model in to a computer. DLT valued the bike at 90,000 so per John G there is a .005 transfer tax included in changing the name. I paid 555 baht (not joking, that was the fee
icon_smile.gif
) so I figured the transfer tax was 450 and the name change fee was 105B. Buyer and seller both local so no number tag change.

I'm riding again!

I have actually bought 3 or 4 from the US consulate in the past two years.
For purchasing truck,bike drivers license etc.

The online booking system is clean & you usually can get an appointment the next day or two.
Then it is all of a 5 minute process...fill in form, swear it is true pay the ( yes high ) fee of $50 & your out of there.
I know it seems high but it is good for a year instead of a month. You also know your getting it period.
No wishy washy Imm deal.

The one year deal was important for truck as I was shopping & did not know how long it would take.
It was important on the new bike as they did not know when it would be delivered as it was a new model 2013

If CM Imm continues to improve & I need another I may give it a try but US Consulate just seemed easy
albeit pricey.

I met the seller, looked at the bike and agreed to buy it on Nov 8. I then checked the US Chiang Mai Consulate web site but the first available appointment was Nov 14 so I decided to wait a few days and save a few baht. Worked out well because the letter was free :)

Any way, TiT and next month Immigration could suspend the service or renew the 500 baht LoR fee :)

I read thru the entire thread and it left me a little confused. I have never been to Thailand before so I don't know what yellow or blue books are.
All I know is that I am coming next week. I am looking to buy a CRF250L somewhere (used). And I think I am going to need a LOR which I understand can be obtained at either the US Consulate (more costly, less time) or Thai Immigration Police (less costly/more time).
I don't really have a place to stay as I tour SE for 5 months (camping and hotels mostly), so if I need proof of residency (Rental agreement), then I will just have to make it up with some help.
With that said, it seems like making an appointment at the US Consulate is my best bet.
Can someone tell me what I will need to walk in with so I can walk out with a LOR so I can put the ownership of the bike in to my name and get a Thai driver's license.
Thank you

Yellow book is an expats proof of residence from owning or long term renting a house.. Many of us dont have them and you wont have one.

Blue book is the bikes ownership papers. This will eventually be put into your name.

Your advised to also view the thread detailing recent changes (at some but perhaps not all) Laos border points which appear to want a translated version of the blue book.

Really you dont need a Thai driving license.. Given your timescales its an extra day (at best) of officialdom and forms.. You could just carry an IDP for that kind of visit.

Your advised to also view the thread detailing recent changes (at some but perhaps not all) Laos border points which appear to want a translated version of the blue book.

Thanks for the info
I am spending the whole day reviewing the entire RideAsia site and reviewing posts pertinent to my tour planes
I saw I will be needing a Vehicle Registration Certificate as well for Laos.
The list keeps growing!
But I am learning!

They're getting real touchy at the Thai borders about more than 3 back-to-back visa waiver entries back into Thailand, potentially more headaches if you go this way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Hummmm.......this seems easier than I first thought. And it seems I can do this on a 30 day on-arrival visa........yes?

Best to get a visa if you want to buy a bike and transfer the title to yourself.

Tourist Visa`s are fairly easy to get.Once you`ve used to transfer your name to the book you can let it expire and use 30 day stamps after that.

They're getting real touchy at the Thai borders about more than 3 back-to-back visa waiver entries back into Thailand, potentially more headaches if you go this way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Really ?? Which borders.. That was in effect a few years ago but stopped once they reduced the 30 day to 15 day at land borders (now raised back to 30 for G7 countries)..

Tourist Visa`s are fairly easy to get.

If I can't get one here in Peru in one day, can I get a tourist visa quickly once I am in Thailand with a visa on arrival?

No see above.

Visas are issued outside of the country.. You would need to leave Thailand again to get one. Travel to Laos or Cambodia or Penang, KL, Singapore, Manila etc and apply at an embassy there. The embassys in SE Asia are a lot less compliant than embassy's elsewhere globally.

A couple comments:

1. About 12 years ago, I was able to buy a bike in Thailand while in country on a 30 day visa on arrival. They had recently changed the law, allowing me to do so. So - has anyone actually run into a problem doing this recently, or can it still be done on a VOA?

2. If you intend to register a bike AND get a Thai license, you will be dealing with two separate issues - each requiring a letter of residence. Does anyone know if the same one will be accepted for both, or will you need to get 2?

2. If you intend to register a bike AND get a Thai license, you will be dealing with two separate issues - each requiring a letter of residence. Does anyone know if the same one will be accepted for both, or will you need to get 2?

I`ve been led to believe they will accept a photocopy but yet to test it out.

A couple comments:

1. About 12 years ago, I was able to buy a bike in Thailand while in country on a 30 day visa on arrival. They had recently changed the law, allowing me to do so. So - has anyone actually run into a problem doing this recently, or can it still be done on a VOA?

1. I bought my bike in Pattaya/Chon Buri 2009 without VISA, I only had the 30days airport stamp.

2. In Pattaya/Chon Buri you need to get separate papers. The papers (LOR) are purpose made here, a paper for a driver's license can not be used to buy a bike and vice versa. They keep the paper when you use it, so it is one time use only. The paper also expire pretty fast. 30 days or when your stamp/VISA expaires, whichever comes first I think.

No see above.

Visas are issued outside of the country.. You would need to leave Thailand again to get one. Travel to Laos or Cambodia or Penang, KL, Singapore, Manila etc and apply at an embassy there. The embassys in SE Asia are a lot less compliant than embassy's elsewhere globally.

I guess the question remains........do I need a Visa to purchase the motorcycle or will a visa on arrival work (call me dumb, but I honestly doesn't even understand what the difference is between the two). It sounds like I only need the LOR, which sounds fairly simple to get. Is that correct? I know the rules change all the time so if it was done one way a year ago or more, it may not still hold true today. Anyone have any recent experience here?

I guess the question remains........do I need a Visa to purchase the motorcycle or will a visa on arrival work (call me dumb, but I honestly doesn't even understand what the difference is between the two). It sounds like I only need the LOR, which sounds fairly simple to get. Is that correct? I know the rules change all the time so if it was done one way a year ago or more, it may not still hold true today. Anyone have any recent experience here?

The problem is Thailand is a country where the rules in one office are not the same as the rules in another.. or even from one worker to another.. or even before lunch and after lunch some damn days.

We can only give guidelines.. But there are no absolutes.

I have bought vehicles on 30 day stamps before, but that was on Phuket where they are used to farangs, and I used to take the fat bird cakes, do she would do it all for me.. I believe things are much tighter now, I would strongly say to get a visa to be sure your covered.

Lastly in chiang mai the wait time on changing name on a second hand vehicle, was less than one week, when I did one last year or so.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I got my letter of residence to buy my bike in January with a 30 day stamp, however the motor office was late in processing it, so that the paper expired.
In July I think it was, I went again for a new letter, same 30 day stamp.
Got it back again two days later and went to KTM with it to have them process it with the motor office.
Plates and green book were issued 5 days later.
So yes it is possible to do it here in Chiang Mai with a 30 day stamp.

So yes it is possible to do it here in Chiang Mai with a 30 day stamp.

But you had KTMs fixer do it for you ??

I always found that when the fixers do it, lots of things are easier / solved for you.

Plates and green book were issued 5 days later.
.[/QUOTE]

Was that for a new or used motorcycle?
I like those KTM Duke 200's!!!!
Maybe I should get one of those instead of the CRF???
Hummmm.....decisions.......decisions

I think he means he waited a month or more of the plate to be issued from new.. Then once he got his paperwork in order and submitted, it took 5 days to have it finished off. Certainly he was not issued a full plate 5 days after buying the bike.

I spoke to the Thai Embassy here in Lima Peru. They told me that I can not apply for a visa in Peru as an American citizen. And that I would have to return to the US to do that.
She also told me that "visas on arrival" are not issued at the airport and that I would be returned. I am pretty sure she is wrong on that one as the US State Department's web site says otherwise.
But in any event, it looks like it will not be possible to get a visa prior to my departure.
Just so I can sleep better, can someone else confirm that I will get a visa on arrival to BKK with just my passport.
And what is the difference between obtaining a visa prior to departure and a "visa on arrival"?
My plan is to obtain a LOR so I can purchase a motorcycle in my name and ride around SE Asia for 5 months
Thanks

From the New York City Thai Consulate website: The USA is on the list - so they will let you in for 30 days.

Tourist Visa Exemption :

Passport holders of the following countries are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay not to exceed 90 days within 6 months of the date of first entry (Passports must be valid for at least 6 months)

This is what is called "visa on arrival". You will be stamped in at Immigration at the airport in Bangkok. BTW, the day that you arrive is the first day of the 30 days, even if you are stamped in at 11:59 PM.

From the New York City Thai Consulate website: The USA is on the list - so they will let you in for 30 days.

Tourist Visa Exemption :

Passport holders of the following countries are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay not to exceed 90 days within 6 months of the date of first entry (Passports must be valid for at least 6 months)

This is what is called "visa on arrival". You will be stamped in at Immigration at the airport in Bangkok. BTW, the day that you arrive is the first day of the 30 days, even if you are stamped in at 11:59 PM.

Yes, that is what I read too.
Thanks for helping me confirm that the lady here in Lima was wrong.
Now, what is the difference in the types of Visas and how will they affect me when buying a motorcycle?

I spoke to the Thai Embassy here in Lima Peru. They told me that I can not apply for a visa in Peru as an American citizen. And that I would have to return to the US to do that.
She also told me that "visas on arrival" are not issued at the airport and that I would be returned. I am pretty sure she is wrong on that one as the US State Department's web site says otherwise.
But in any event, it looks like it will not be possible to get a visa prior to my departure.
Just so I can sleep better, can someone else confirm that I will get a visa on arrival to BKK with just my passport.
And what is the difference between obtaining a visa prior to departure and a "visa on arrival"?
My plan is to obtain a LOR so I can purchase a motorcycle in my name and ride around SE Asia for 5 months
Thanks

The 30 days stamp you will receive at the airport without any prior arrangement is not a "VISA on arrival", it is more of a VISA wavier stamp. The VISA on arrival is for people from countries that can not get that stamp. So technically you can not get a VISA on arrival but it is because you do not need one in the first place. I asked at the airport one time if I could upgrade the 30 days stamp to a 60 days tourist VISA from "VISA on arrival" but they said no.

The 30 days stamp you will receive at the airport without any prior arrangement is not a "VISA on arrival", it is more of a VISA wavier stamp. The VISA on arrival is for people from countries that can not get that stamp. So technically you can not get a VISA on arrival but it is because you do not need one in the first place. I asked at the airport one time if I could upgrade the 30 days stamp to a 60 days tourist VISA from "VISA on arrival" but they said no.

Awesome. More good news. Now I need to learn to say all that in Thai :)

Back
Top Bottom