Chiang Mai confirmation of resident letter - Moved !!

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
Posted elsewhere.

I went to Chiangmai Immigration today to get a residence letter. The Office over there is now closed and the staff moved to a new location.

There is a sign in Thai only posted outside the window of the old office. I when Inside the regular Office and after talking with a few different Officers, one of them confirmed the new location. The others had no idea of the closure.

Now we need to go to Chiangmai Immigration Region 3 for Legalized Labor Office. The building is across the road from Promenada Shopping Mall. This is also where the Burmese and Laotian workers go now.

There is a sign Inside in English for Residence letter desk. There is a large parking area.

You deposit your documents there, pay 500 Bahts per letter,and you pick-up the residence letter the next day between 13h00 and 16h00.
I include photo of : Outside new office, posted sign at old office, and the coupon issued for pick-up.

post-92454-0-98398600-1400478340.jpg

post-92454-0-85126900-1400478260.jpg

Cool, good info. They were swamped in that little office with long lines every day.
And time wait now is only 1 day, opposed to the 10 day wait I saw them advertise last I went.

So they've gone from free to 500 baht again.

great information. i found the Chiangmai Immigration Region 3 for Legalized Labor Office no problem thanks to the map and the photo.
when you go there just you'll see lots of people waiting with numbers. you do not need to wait. just go to window number 2 with your photo copies and 2 large passport photos.
you can get copies made and photos made right there if you need to.

you will have to pay 500 baht and pick up the document the following afternoon.

i only have a 30 day VOA and had no problems at all

The Lat/Long for the Chiang Mai Immigration Region 3 for Legalized Labor Office that issues the Letter of Residency is :18.763580, 99.035232

The office is on the south side of Promenada Shopping Mall off of route 1141. There is a large parking lot.

Well, not sure who has shares or owns the G4T company next to the Immigration Office in Promenada. G4T can make photocopies, and handles for a fee the overflow of the number of daily long terms visa applicants (apparently Immigration has decided that they can only handle 20 applicants per day for Retirement visa, Visa for being married to Thai lady, etc.).

The latest news is that they now also do the "Letter of Residence" which was previously taken care of by Immigration located in the building opposite Promenada.

"Allegedly" it's immigration's own agency. You talk to the Thai lawyers/ visa agents, they say they cannot complain as they will then be shut out, they want foreigners to complain!

Well, not sure who has shares or owns the G4T company next to the Immigration Office in Promenada. G4T can make photocopies, and handles for a fee the overflow of the number of daily long terms visa applicants (apparently Immigration has decided that they can only handle 20 applicants per day for Retirement visa, Visa for being married to Thai lady, etc.).

The latest news is that they now also do the "Letter of Residence" which was previously taken care of by Immigration located in the building opposite Promenada.

This is good news, I've just been to Tak immigration in Mae Sot and they wouldn't issue me with a residence certificate, had all the necessary documentation, but they tried to hound me into getting a retirement visa.
Looks like I'll be heading to Chiang Mai and booking myself a cheap apartment for a month in order to get a letter from the landlord, anyone have any suggestions ?

Cheers

Stuart

My Driving License expires soon so went to Immigration to get a Residence Certificate. Unfortunately, the Immigration Office in Chiangmai had decided that they need a new system to provide a "Residence Certificate" to foreigners who need to prove that they live here in Chiangmai. For that reason they DO NOT PROVIDE Residence Permits anymore till further notice. Apparently they stopped providing these certificates two months ago so it might be anyone's guess when they will start with their new system.

Went to G4T at Promenada (they have move to the top floor of Building A of Promenada) - same story - sorry sir but Immigration does not provide these anymore so you will have to go to your Embassy to get one. So either off to Bangkok to the Embassy or temporarily move to another province where Immigration still provides these certificates.

That doesn't sound good. I've only ever used my embassy in Bangkok, which signs what I write without asking any questions, has always been that way. Luckily I also live in Bangkok, it must be a nuisance if you live somewhere more than a couple of hours drive from Bangkok just to visit your embassy for this document. Citizens of Australia have it easier now if they live in the south since there is a new consulate-general in Phuket. I'm not sure that Honorary consulates (often located in cities like Lampang, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin/Cha Am, Pattaya etc.) are authorized to notarize documents so visiting either your embassy or it's consulate-general (if there is one) is usually the only way to go.

Hope that things will go back to the way they used to be. Another question - what if you have a yellow residence book, wouldn't that be allowed in lieu of a residence certificate?

Back
Top Bottom