Last Man Standing Challenge

LUFC said:
AlexUSA said:
Can someone post an official *.gpx (preferably showing stop and finish points)? Want try my hand at the LMS Challenge but not certain which track you guys are referring to...

Is this the one that I took pictures of in this thread - n-o-b-ride-3rd-february-2012-t1399.html - ?

Alex, I don't know if any of the regular riders who use a GPS have made it to the top, so there may not be a .gpx file of that exact track.

It's not the track you are referring to.

But you must know the start point if you are aware of the steep hill. Start point, turn right off the asphalt road adjacent to the temple, take the first dirt road left left, ride 30m and then bear right down into the little "valley" at the bottom next to the small man made dam they use in wet season. That's the start point.

End point is when you meet the asphalt road after going up the steep hill, its not possible to take a wrong turn after the steep hill, just a one route track to the road.

Hope that makes sense!

Cool, I think I've got it. So the challenge is one-way only - no return back down as I understand it.

Appreciate the gpx Alex - Will try this tomorrow.

If everyone can use a tracking capable GPS, it will be easy to dissect that part of the recorded track and see factually the time taken.

AlexUSA said:
LUFC said:
AlexUSA said:
Can someone post an official *.gpx (preferably showing stop and finish points)? Want try my hand at the LMS Challenge but not certain which track you guys are referring to...

Is this the one that I took pictures of in this thread - n-o-b-ride-3rd-february-2012-t1399.html - ?

Alex, I don't know if any of the regular riders who use a GPS have made it to the top, so there may not be a .gpx file of that exact track.

It's not the track you are referring to.

But you must know the start point if you are aware of the steep hill. Start point, turn right off the asphalt road adjacent to the temple, take the first dirt road left left, ride 30m and then bear right down into the little "valley" at the bottom next to the small man made dam they use in wet season. That's the start point.

End point is when you meet the asphalt road after going up the steep hill, its not possible to take a wrong turn after the steep hill, just a one route track to the road.

Hope that makes sense!

Cool, I think I've got it. So the challenge is one-way only - no return back down as I understand it.

Appreciate the gpx Alex - Will try this tomorrow.

My post near the bottom of page 1 shows the route. The last part after the chicken trail junction is not on the North Thailand Offroad Map. You can also figure out the start point from the picture and Mapsource. I have the GPX but unfortunately not here at work with me. It doesn't include the end of the trail as my clutch failed 3/4 of the way up the steep part!

Had a go at LMS this morning on the KTM. I hated that trail to begin with now falling in love with it. The bike performed admirably for a first attempt. Couple of issues during the ride - my gear lever needs adjusting down a few notches, kept missing gears and my ass kept sliding off the seat at crucial moment. The first one has been rectified already, not sure how to rectum-fy the second! :kat

Fitness was definitely an issue and by the time I got to the foot of the infamous hill I was spent and didn't want to push things too far on my first decent day on the bike, so another time. Anyway from the start point to the foot of the hill 16:02 - pretty decent for my first non stop attempt on a 2 stroke. 5mins off LUFC's time, damn thats an awesome time.

I got lost a couple of times and stuck at some silly places I shouldn't have, practice make perfect though as they say. My arms were on fire at the end probably because of my lack of technique and fitness. I could hardly stand up on the pegs the last third due lack of stamina and resorted to sitting where I kept sliding off the back of the seat at the steep technical sections :WTF

I video'd the whole ride from start to finish and will post it up shortly.

Below the data from my GPS.

web.jpg

johnnysneds said:
...and my ass kept sliding off the seat at crucial moment. The first one has been rectified already, not sure how to rectum-fy the second!

Get yourself a step seat.
78007240100.jpg

And here's the video of this mornings ride up LMS...

Pounce said:
johnnysneds said:
...and my ass kept sliding off the seat at crucial moment. The first one has been rectified already, not sure how to rectum-fy the second!

78007240100.jpg

Hey thanks Pounce, what a great idea. I won't buy it but I know just the place here in Chiang Mai that can replicate that. Cheers dude :DD

johnnysneds said:
Pounce said:
johnnysneds said:

78007240100.jpg

Hey thanks Pounce, what a great idea. I won't buy it but I know just the place here in Chiang Mai that can replicate that. Cheers dude :DD
'

I'm going to get the Chiang Mai seat magician to do that to mine too, great idea

Is the seat magician the place just south of where the Dukes is on the same side of the road?

yeah in the shop houses over the rd from the bar on riverside.. think before the vespa guy...

I put him on the POI map but you know roughly.

Nice vid mr. Sneds. When climbing the steep stuff what gear were you in primarily? You can here the Rekluse slipping a lot. How did the oil look when you changed it?

Amazing to see LMS all dry, enjoy that while you can.

again great to see you on the new toy.

johnnysneds said:
my ass kept sliding off the seat at crucial moment. The first one has been rectified already, not sure how to rectum-fy the second! :kat

Not trying to be a clever cnut Sneds but just try standing up more and keep your weight forward.

That trail will punish anybody sitting down its just too rough and the suspension cannot handle it. I think I can see from the video that on occasions your bars seem to take a big deflection as you hit stuff, if you were standing up that wouldn't be nearly as bad as you wouldnt be off balance so easily.

When you make it up the big hill, immmediately after that is the toughest part, steep, and lots of rocks, sit down there and you'll just bounce from rock to rock wondering what the bars are for.

Justin - early on I was using 2nd on the steepies, as you noticed and as did I at the time, I heard the clutch slipping so tried 1st and it worked better. Not checked the oil yet, however as mentioned earlier the clutch cover at the top of the ride wasnt too hot.

Daz - I was standing most of the way up until I got tired the last third and resorted to sitting down where I ran into trouble sliding off the seat and getting throwen around as you noticed. I'm hitting the gym again and hopefully can get fitter to last all the way up. Good advice though - I hear what your saying, just need to condition myself.

johnnysneds said:
Justin - early on I was using 2nd on the steepies, as you noticed and as did I at the time, I heard the clutch slipping so tried 1st and it worked better. Not checked the oil yet, however as mentioned earlier the clutch cover at the top of the ride wasnt too hot.

Daz - I was standing most of the way up until I got tired the last third and resorted to sitting down where I ran into trouble sliding off the seat and getting throwen around as you noticed. I'm hitting the gym again and hopefully can get fitter to last all the way up. Good advice though - I hear what your saying, just need to condition myself.

I know what you mean, the trials bike had my leg muscles squealing and I tried to sit down but had no seat.

The camera footage is excellent, clear BLUE SKY, is that on your contour cam with the solid helmet mount?
Never really been a fan of helmet cams but you and Max have got some damn decent clips.

Yup, tis' on my auld Contour. Max has the 1080P version and puts a lot of effort into editing his video's with some amazing results, im wondering what he would charge for a personal video shoot. I can't be arsed (nor do I know how to) with editing so just upload the raw video!!!

No I would much prefer flowing trails.
Bike are meant to be ridden, not dragged up a hill by hand.

I guess no one can beat me on the last number. With the TIGER CX scooter (17" wheels, 125cc) in march about 4 and a half hours. With a issue that tooks half hour to fix. It was the hell and the CX was rolling one time back about 10m and crashed hard against a tree. Only a bended handlebar, nothing else. Very reliable bike. But I never, realy never I would do it again. But maybe I do it downhill for some pics, because may camera fucked up and all pics are totally unclear.

jkrfjessjess said:
johnnysneds said:
And here's the video of this mornings ride up LMS...

OOOh mate , bit ponderous ( may be get back on the fags of the 450 titter )

Unfortunately for me its the only descriptive approach I have in my arsenal against LMS. Bored with the 450 dragging my doot up everywhere

A few of us are going up LMS tomorrow morning if you want to come along?

Had another bash at LMS today after being away for 2 months.

Had the Contour GPS along for the ride and discovered that the goggle mount ain't great at all and the record switch gets turned off too easily when it comes into contact with errant branches.
It would be a far better design if the record switch had to be pushed to the rear to record, not the front, that way it could not be switched off by tagging branches when moving forwards.

The 'kin thing turned off after 1 min 14 secs when I must have tagged a branch.
It's odd watching that little bit of video as it seems so slow, the 300 just gets on with the job with very little noise.

But I had the lap timer, so got to the bottom of the big hill in 10 min 25 secs, 2 attempts and I was up the hill, over the rocks and on to the slippery clay not far from the road. I had 3 attempts but couldn't carry enough speed to get up there now that it is wet, the rear wheel would just spin up. I was knackered by this stage so I gave up and turned around. So no actual LMS time as I did not get to the road.

Did scare the shit out of a MTBiker though when he was coming down and he went for a rough ride!

Back
Top Bottom