Last Man Standing Challenge

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
How about a time challenge to complete the "Last Man Standing" trail. Either from bottom to top or up and down. The route is exactly 7Km from bottom to top according to Basecamp.
Ive never attempted the infamous last section but hopefully will get that out the way tomorrow morning.

There obviously has to be some ground rules set. How its timed, what sort of assistance is allowed (if needed), no search and rescue helicopters!

I will have the helmet cam on for tomorrow so everyone gets an idea of what to expect and will try and get some photos of the gnarly section, if I make it that far :hmm

Best time for the year gets a nice trophy and and a full page mention in the illustrious "NOB" magazine

A318C_1.jpg

web.jpg

This is an awesome idea!!!!

Will be interesting to see what people make of this track, great idea Jonny.

OK just had a good idea on how to record the official time. You will have to have some sort of GPS on you during your attempt that will record your route and time, the data can be extracted quite easily.
The wonders of a GPS!

johnnysneds said:
OK just had a good idea on how to record the official time. You will have to have some sort of GPS on you during your attempt that will record your route and time, the data can be extracted quite easily.
The wonders of a GPS!
What about an oganised race , bottom to top ? The hills would be alive with the sound of.......

What time are you heading over there? Maybe want some company?

Were meeting a wee bit before the large roundabout on the Night Safari road, map to help below.

09:30hrs

My mobile is 0871371321 if you can't make it

Anyone else joining???

web.jpg

jkrfjessjess said:
johnnysneds said:
The wonders of a GPS!
What about an oganised race , bottom to top ? The hills would be alive with the sound of.......

:kboom "SCREAMING"????

"Organised Race" -----> Weapons Free :F

Would be great to get a realistic gradient profile here ...ill talk to Auke and see what is the best way to show it.

Great idea JS, but I doubt there are many that are fit enough (including me) to make it in one run from top to bottom.

I reckon 30 mins would be a bloody fast time, who can rode for 30 mins non-stop in that terrain?

The last part about 2 km from the top will have most of us off the bikes and wondering how the hell its possible to get up alone.

Last Man Standing Elevation Profile - The best I can do at the moment is a profile in an elevation profile in Mapsource.

Last Man Standing with Elevations.JPG

Elevation Profile Last Man Standing.JPG

I tried to find you but was 5mins late, then I got lost and got a puncture

alexuk said:

OH! :eek1 Sorry we missed you Alex, you need to let us know that you were coming and we would have waited. You have my mobile?

johnnysneds said:
alexuk said:

OH! :eek1 Sorry we missed you Alex, you need to let us know that you were coming and we would have waited. You have my mobile?

Maybe We were early ? ;)

Riders:

Myself - WR450F
Darren - Some sort of sick trials bike
Jon - WR250F
Jim - KLX250S

Todays ride was eventful, for me anyway. An awesome day that ended in disaster, for me anyway!!!

Below the route and elevation data.

web.jpg

We began the trail at 09:51hrs and arrived at the foot of Last Man Standing Hill at 10:18hrs. We had a break for 11 mins just before the Chicken Run junction. Theoretically we could have arrived at LMS hill in 17 minutes without a break. Then comes the fun part, for me anyway!!!

First attempt at it, got 3/4 the way up hit a rock and stopped dead in my tracks, no problem turn around go down and try again. Up again, get to the same point hit the same rock, flip the bike, I tumble down the hill approx 20ft from where the bike landed, twisted my ankle and had a laugh! Darn that hill, its difficult to get a decent run at it because of the rocky section at the bottom. Daz comes to the rescue easily on his trials bike. We get the WR upright at some crazy steep angle, i look a right cock trying to mount the bike while Daz tries and holds the thing in place, eventually I manage to jam myself between a tree and I get some sort of stabilisation. Start the beast up and somehow manage to get going. I manage to get past the steep section but theres more to come. In all the confusion with the crash, trying to get back on and get going Im pretty sure I must have knocked the gearbox into 3rd. It difficult to know with a Rekluse without physically checking, I obviously didn't bother! Just as I get up the hardest section, its all easy now, woo hoo.....clonk, bang, rattle... the frikin clutch blows itself to smithereens. B A S T A R D. So free wheel down the hill in shame. LMS Fail.

Im uploading all the video and will post it when it finishes uploading. Crash is quite spectacular in the final part, I went down like an English center forward, what a fanny.

Darren did the hill on the second attempt with the correct gear selected awesome, Jon rode up that bad boy smoking a fag and scratching his arse at the same time, how the f*** do you do that dude?!? Jim took the Chicken Run alternative with his KLX and some parts of that are just as difficult, well done mate and thanks for towing my bike out the jungle!!!

Below are some of destruction to my clutch that LMS caused. Thanks to Jon for helping me get all that metal out the engine, diamond geezer.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

All nice and clean.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

f*** that for a game of soldiers
web.jpg

CANT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN!!!!

Part 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LUxZMFucdWg[/youtube]

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone clutch exploded, that is some steep shit in places.

Part2

[video=youtube;ature=player_detailpage&v=mBR-5sus9BE[/youtube]

Part3 First attempt at the hill
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ8wE3P5tVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ature=player_detailpage&v=mBR-5sus9BE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ8wE3P5tVU[/video]5sus9BE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ8wE3P5tVU[/youtube:hib0emde]

Part4 Second attempt at the hill, ouch

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d-xSc2T8UWU[/youtube]

So LMS just claimed it's first clutch, I think the first of many. When R1 Peter came on the KLX the clutch in that made nasty noises and he turned back ...

Will watch the crash videos now (thank God I was busy and had an excuse not to go!)

Smart choice to turn up with the trials bike !!

"Went down like an English centre forward" a classic line Johnny.

Mind you all that rolling around woulda made Gazza blush!

KTMphil said:
How was that trials bike 1st time out LUFC?

A lot of fun and actually not that slow up LMS, but with a 2 litre tank range is limited!

Hard work on my poor little legs standing all the time, but great fun to play around on and practice skills.

LUFC said:
KTMphil said:

A lot of fun and actually not that slow up LMS, but with a 2 litre tank range is limited!

Hard work on my poor little legs standing all the time, but great fun to play around on and practice skills.

Easier to get up there than on the Husaberg?

Would assume its going to be much more the mountain goat type tool..

KTMphil said:
LUFC said:
KTMphil said:

Easier to get up there than on the Husaberg?

The approach is much easier on the Berg, the harder stuff easier on the Beta, you can place the Beta wherever you want even at low speed.

KTMphil said:
Ok - I'm getting one, LUFC what do i buy?

Have a word with Jamie, he should be in CM this week, he's the trials expert.

I just took a punt on an old bike to play on, without knowing much about anything

Ok the first time has been set by moi today at 27 mins 41 secs.

This was not certified, nor even witnessed (cue chorus of laughter!), but was done with the lap timer on my Berg.

I got held up twice, once on the rocks above the steep hill and secondly in the trees with the deep soil - had to push it up there and then rest for a couple of minutes., HR monitor was showing 174bpm at this stage.

I reckon on a "clean" run 25 mins would be a fairly good pace.

For reference it took me 11mins 02 secs to get to the bottom of the steep hill that causes so much drama.

Race On!

LMAO @ Johnny - About 2:40 ish on the 3rd vid, " that bit looks easy..." Geeeez that bit looks criminal!

You guys are awesome.

Ally

LUFC said:

This was not certified, nor even witnessed (cue chorus of laughter!), but was done with the lap timer on my Berg.

I got held up twice, once on the rocks above the steep hill and secondly in the trees with the deep soil - had to push it up there and then rest for a couple of minutes., HR monitor was showing 174bpm at this stage.

For reference it took me 11mins 02 secs to get to the bottom of the steep hill that causes so much drama.

Race On!

Great time D thats gonna be tough to beat. 11 mins to the bottom of the hill!!! WOW. Im gonna hit the gym hard this month offshore in prep for it next month, hope the weather holds up. Got a load of Tungsten Carbide balls winging' their way to replace the steel ones in the Rekluse. I think thats why the clutch exploded - lugging on partial engagement, the TC balls will stop that. That coupled with aftermarket friction discs, Hinson clutch basket and decent synthetic oil should get me there hopefully, if not im taking up golf!

Ally said:
LMAO @ Johnny - About 2:40 ish on the 3rd vid, " that bit looks easy..." Geeeez that bit looks criminal!

You guys are awesome.

Ally

I must have banged "ma heed" on a tree somewhere Ally to come out with a crazy comment like that!

Daz is awesome, I just try and crash my way up it!

LUFC said:

Race On!

Vell , i say vell done big lad !!

Thats a surprising time , i guess you needed to take five once you reached the summit . Suspect that the time will stand for a while unless the man from down under puts on his shiny shoes !

Can someone post an official *.gpx (preferably showing stop and finish points)? Want try my hand at the LMS Challenge but not certain which track you guys are referring to...

Is this the one that I took pictures of in this thread - n-o-b-ride-3rd-february-2012-t1399.html - ?

AlexUSA said:
Can someone post an official *.gpx (preferably showing stop and finish points)? Want try my hand at the LMS Challenge but not certain which track you guys are referring to...

Is this the one that I took pictures of in this thread - n-o-b-ride-3rd-february-2012-t1399.html - ?

Alex, I don't know if any of the regular riders who use a GPS have made it to the top, so there may not be a .gpx file of that exact track.

It's not the track you are referring to.

But you must know the start point if you are aware of the steep hill. Start point, turn right off the asphalt road adjacent to the temple, take the first dirt road left left, ride 30m and then bear right down into the little "valley" at the bottom next to the small man made dam they use in wet season. That's the start point.

End point is when you meet the asphalt road after going up the steep hill, its not possible to take a wrong turn after the steep hill, just a one route track to the road.

Hope that makes sense!

Back
Top Bottom