LAOS INTERNATIONAL BORDER CROSSINGS

They do have a small ferry for cars but the ferry is considerable more expensive than the "normal boat". Last year the boatman quoted a price of 70-80,000 Kip for a crossing by ferry.

GEDC07702doc.jpg

The Thali/Ban Nakkraseng-Nam Heung/Kenethao crossing (North of Loei).

The Thali/Ban Nakraseng-Nam Heung/Kenethao crossing (North of Loei).
Extracted from: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...670-poking-around-areas-east-west-paklay.html

Thali border.jpg

On the Thai side things went quickly but the Lao side was a bit slow. The guy who had to prepare the temporary import documents for my truck could not speak English and he asked me to spell my name in Lao language which was a bit difficult for me. After numerous phonecalls and running around to ask colleagues to help him he managed to complete the form in about 40 minutes.
There was a sign for Insurance but there was no one selling insurance so you will have to buy that in Nam Heung/Khentao, Xanakham (Agl Insurance (Somboun Souvannaseng - coordinates N17.91615 E101.68473) or in Paklay (AGL Insurance in Paklay is opposite the market - coordinates N18.21782 E101.40838)

On the Thai side the Immigration office (the small building with the Thai flag) is next to the Customs Office. The Customs people handle both outbound and inbound traffic.

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

The Lao immigration building with the traffic (left/right) cross-over.
IMG_0726.JPG

Park your car or bike and you will find the Visa-on-arrival office on the left hand side while the Immigration and customs is on the right hand side
IMG_0729.JPG

Not sure if at the moment if bikes are allowed to cross - in the past it was possible but heard that some people got refused over here!

Vang Tao crossing border checkpoint construction kicked off
By Vinnaly

(KPL) The construction project of Vang Tao international crossing border checkpoint was officially opened on 28 June at Vang Tao international immigration border pass. This project was solely invested by the government with a large budget as high as over 98 billion kip to improve the infrastructure of Vang Tao International Crossing Border Checkpoint Phonthong district, Champassak province. This project is the part of efforts to prepare for the integration of ASEAN Economic Community by 2015 and contribution to the socio-economic development plan. The construction work expected to complete next three years. Head of Champasak Public Works and Transport Department, Mr. Soukkaseum Pakdimanivong highlighted the project profile at the groundbreaking ceremony that the construction project of Vang Tao international crossing border checkpoint, Phonthong district, Champassak province has been initiated its survey and design in 2012 before proposing for the government approval. Seeing as an important, thus the government has allocated 10% of tax collection gaining from the Vang Tao International Crossing Border Checkpoint to the construction.

The contractor company is Phongsubthavy wining the construction bid. This company has experienced in the construction of Nong Nock Kiet International Crossing Border Checkpoint between Laos- Cambodia, which will officially open for public soon. The Vang Tao international crossing border checkpoint is designed to be an international standard and up-to-date level.

Source: :: KPL :: Lao News Agency

Note by LR: This is the Chongmek to Vang Tao border crossing east of Ubon Ratchathani (see also post 1 on page 1 of this thread). Where you normally would head right after crossing the border to go to the Customs/Immigration building you now have to go straight on (past the Tax-Free shops on your left) as the old entrance road is now blocked of.

Vangtao1.jpg

Once you are past the building shown in the picture above, turn right and you will find Customs and Immigration still at the same old place. The whole construction period is said to be 3 years so over time there might again be other changes.

The Thali/Ban Nakraseng-Nam Heung/Kenethao crossing (North of Loei).

View attachment 17471

On the Thai side the Immigration office (the small building with the Thai flag) is next to the Customs Office. The Customs people handle both outbound and inbound traffic.

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

Not sure if at the moment if bikes are allowed to cross - in the past it was possible but heard that some people got refused over here!

A few months ago I had a look at the Tha Li - Kenethao border crossing. On the Thai side they are now finally replacing the containers which at the moment house the Customs and Immigration.

IMG_5326.jpg

Not sure when the new building is ready for use but the next time I am passing through I will ask.

Update Map showing Lao Border Crossings

I have now updated the small map of Laos which shows the International Border Crossings for Laos to its neighboring countries. The situation with the bridges is still a hit and miss affair with motorbikes normally allowed to cross the bridge between Nongkhai and Vientiane (Frienshup Bridge 1) but not allowed at the new bridge between Chiangkhong and Huayxay (Friendship Bridge 4). With regard to the other 2 bridges - Nakhon Phatom to Thakheak (Friendship Bridge 3) and Mukdahan to Savannakhet (Friendship Bridge 2) it appears to be up to the people on duty if they will or will not allow bikes to cross the bridge.

The new Phudu (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing is expected to open sometime later this year and although it will be an International Crossing, there were rumours that foreigners may not be allowed to cross here at the start as the border post staff might have insufficient experience with vehicles crossing the border. However, at the moment the border crossing is being used on a daily basis by big trucks carrying cement from Thailand to Laos for large construction projects. These trucks are being processed in the same way as bikes and cars so the staff at the border crossings should have sufficient training to handle other vehicles right from the opening of the crossing.

At this moment there is no further info available with regard to Visa-on-Arrival nor on the opening times for the new Laos to China border crossing Lantouy to Kham in Phongsaly Province (Opened late December 2013).

Maps showing Lao border crossings with info on availability of Visa-on-Arrival and opening/closing times of the crossings as of January 2014

LaosBorderCrossingsFeb2014b.png

Additions on 16 February 2014: Added a new Laos/Vietnam international border Ban Dan to Chiengkhuong (Vietnam) crossing in Huaphan Province. The Vietnamese Consulate in Luang Prabang indicated that the Nason (Luang Prabang province) to Huoi Puoc in Vietnam is also open for foreigners (Source: Laos/Vietnam border crossing)

An updated map can be found here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/showthread.php?t=105&page=4&p=59237&viewfull=1#post59237

Last edited:
Thanks Auke, very useful information as always.

Lalay border checkpoint to become international border

Lalay border checkpoint (at the end of Rd 15) in Samuoy district of Saravane Province is now undergoing improvement to become an international border checkpoint between Laos and Vietnam by June this year. Mr Bouaphengphet Phosay, Deputy Head of the Saravane Public Works and Transport Office briefed the progress of the improvements to Mr Bounkeut Sangsomsak, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, during his inspect tour to the province.

According to Mr Bouaphengphet Phosay, a number of old buildings have been renovated in order to prepare for upgrades, while the new building is also under construction and expected to be complete by the mid-June. On this occasion, Mr Bounkeut urged all provincial and district leaders to focus on constructing infrastructure in the border gate area as per the plan. He also asked the provincial level to work hard on overseeing the project, while the district authorities must build their own plan to attract tourists in order to generate income for local people. The opening of the Lalay International border will allow Saravane to exchange other countries and will give foreign tourists the chance to visit the beautiful landscape and fine culture of Saravane Province, especially in Samuoy district.

More info on Rd 15 here:
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...pment-road-construction-laos-2.html#post27134
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...pment-road-construction-laos-2.html#post27156

Lalay border checkpoint to become international border

Lalay border checkpoint (at the end of Rd 15) in Samuoy district of Saravane Province is now undergoing improvement to become an international border checkpoint between Laos and Vietnam by June this year. Mr Bouaphengphet Phosay, Deputy Head of the Saravane Public Works and Transport Office briefed the progress of the improvements to Mr Bounkeut Sangsomsak, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, during his inspect tour to the province.

More info on Rd 15 here:
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...pment-road-construction-laos-2.html#post27134
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...pment-road-construction-laos-2.html#post27156

Laos-Vietnam opens 8th international checkpoint

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr Thongloun Sisoulith and his counterpart Mr Pham Binh Minh celebrated the opening of the Lalay international border checkpoint, while hundreds of delegates from both sides witnessed the event. “This is the eighth international checkpoint between Laos and Vietnam out of the 47 traditional, national and international checkpoints that are currently seen along the north to south borderline in both countries,” Mr Thongloun said at the opening ceremony. According to a press release from the Foreign Ministry, Laos currently has 25 international checkpoints, eight bordering with Vietnam, two with China, one with Cambodia, 10 with Thailand and four international airports.

Lalay international checkpoint is an important strategy route of Road No. 15A, which links the 147km long road from urban Saravan province to the border of the two countries, while also linking 75km from urban Saravan on Road No. 15B to the southern Road No. 13 in Naphong area.

In the future, both of these roads will join a new checkpoint between Paktaphan in Saravan, Laos and Amnat Charoen province in Thailand as plans to build a friendship bridge are in the works.

Adapted from Vientiane Times Vientiane Times 26 June 2015

Admin, please update the map above with updated info on opening and closing times, particularly for some of the Thai-Lao crossings. I can confirm that the Nakorn Phanom-Tha Khaek 3rd Friendship Bridge is open from 6am to 10pm as is the Mukdaharn to Savannakhet 2nd Friendship bridge. The Chong Mek crossing closes at 8pm and has been that way since as early as February 2012 when I crossed there for the first time I arrived at 7.30pm with my Lao car and made it to Pakse around 8.15pm due to some time spent at the quarantine station. I wouldn't be surprised if it now closes later (perhaps 10pm?) but 8pm is guaranteed unless someone has more recent information than I do. I too was almost caught out when around 6pm asking around in Ubon some locals claimed the border would close at 6pm but being nearly 100km away they obviously didn't have the latest info - lucky for us we decided to make a run for it and see, and we were happy that we didn't listen to those folks back in Ubon, thus saving valuable time and allowing us to have a good time in Pakse. Next day we made it to Buon Ma Thuot in Vietnam via the southernmost Phu Keua - Bo Y crossing. I think that crossing closes at 7pm based on info from 2012 (the Lao border guards told me that and due to staying overnight in one of the officer's huts, I can confirm this too as I was there from 5pm until 7pm). Opening time there is 7am I believe.

Admin, please update the map above with updated info on opening and closing times, particularly for some of the Thai-Lao crossings. I can confirm that the Nakorn Phanom-Tha Khaek 3rd Friendship Bridge is open from 6am to 10pm as is the Mukdaharn to Savannakhet 2nd Friendship bridge. The Chong Mek crossing closes at 8pm and has been that way since as early as February 2012 when I crossed there for the first time I arrived at 7.30pm with my Lao car and made it to Pakse around 8.15pm due to some time spent at the quarantine station. I wouldn't be surprised if it now closes later (perhaps 10pm?) but 8pm is guaranteed unless someone has more recent information than I do. I too was almost caught out when around 6pm asking around in Ubon some locals claimed the border would close at 6pm but being nearly 100km away they obviously didn't have the latest info - lucky for us we decided to make a run for it and see, and we were happy that we didn't listen to those folks back in Ubon, thus saving valuable time and allowing us to have a good time in Pakse. Next day we made it to Buon Ma Thuot in Vietnam via the southernmost Phu Keua - Bo Y crossing. I think that crossing closes at 7pm based on info from 2012 (the Lao border guards told me that and due to staying overnight in one of the officer's huts, I can confirm this too as I was there from 5pm until 7pm). Opening time there is 7am I believe.

A big thank you Blackwolf for the info and I will update the opening times on the map

I have updated the small map of Laos which shows the International Border Crossings for Laos to its neighboring countries with updated opening times. The situation with the bridges is still a hit and miss affair with motorbikes normally allowed to cross the bridge between Nongkhai and Vientiane (Friendship Bridge 1). With regard to the other 3 bridges - Mukdahan to Savannakhet (Friendship Bridge 2), Nakhon Phatom to Thakheak (Friendship Bridge 3) and Chiangkhong and Huayxay (Friendship Bridge 4) it appears to be up to the people on duty if they will or will not allow bikes to cross the bridge.

The new Phudu (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing is open for local people and sometime later this year it is expected to become an International Crossing.

At this moment there is no further info available with regard to Visa-on-Arrival nor on the opening times for the new Laos to China border crossing Lantouy to Kham in Phongsaly Province, the new Lay-Lay border crossing to Vietnam in Saravane Province nor on the new Laos/Vietnam international border Ban Dan to Chiengkhuong (Vietnam) crossing in Huaphan Province.

67966491.jpg

The Lantouy to Kham border crossing post at the Phongsaly/China border north of Nhot-Ou on Rd. 1-A (Picture copyright by Phanomsin)

The Vietnamese Consulate in Luang Prabang indicated that the Nason (Luang Prabang province) to Huoi Puoc in Vietnam (not shown on the map) is also open for foreigners (Source: Laos/Vietnam border crossing).

Maps showing Lao border crossings with info on availability of Visa-on-Arrival and opening/closing times of the crossings as of May 2015

LAOS BORDER CROSSINGS.jpg

Last edited:
I have updated the small map of Laos which shows the International Border Crossings for Laos to its neighboring countries with updated opening times. The situation with the bridges is still a hit and miss affair with motorbikes normally allowed to cross the bridge between Nongkhai and Vientiane (Friendship Bridge 1). With regard to the other 3 bridges - Mukdahan to Savannakhet (Friendship Bridge 2), Nakhon Phatom to Thakheak (Friendship Bridge 3) and Chiangkhong and Huayxay (Friendship Bridge 4) it appears to be up to the people on duty if they will or will not allow bikes to cross the bridge.

The new Phudu (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing is open for local people and sometime later this year it is expected to become an International Crossing.

At this moment there is no further info available with regard to Visa-on-Arrival nor on the opening times for the new Laos to China border crossing Lantouy to Kham in Phongsaly Province, the new Lay-Lay border crossing to Vietnam in Saravane Province nor on the new Laos/Vietnam international border Ban Dan to Chiengkhuong (Vietnam) crossing in Huaphan Province. The Vietnamese Consulate in Luang Prabang indicated that the Nason (Luang Prabang province) to Huoi Puoc in Vietnam (not shown on the map) is also open for foreigners[/I][/B] (Source: Laos/Vietnam border crossing).

Maps showing Lao border crossings with info on availability of Visa-on-Arrival and opening/closing times of the crossings as of July 2014

LaosBorderCrossingsJuly2014a.jpg

Good to see the updated times on the map. I have also noticed that the main Lao Bao/Daen Savanh crossing is now open as late as 22.00, in line with the Thai bridge crossings.

Regarding Beung Kan, when I was there in March I found out that if you want to cross over to Laos slightly after 4.30pm (but not too much later, definitely not later than around 5.30pm except in exceptional circumstances) or on weekends, particularly in the mornings, it is possible if there's a ferry going at that time. This will depend on demand. However, most likely you'll have to charter the ferry if you want to cross at a particular time without the uncertainty of waiting. Customs and immigration often don't know when the ferries leave exactly. On one particular Saturday morning there was a ferry but it was unclear what time it would be leaving. Apparently it departed around 9am and that was the only scheduled ferry for the day. So if you don't mind chartering a ferry you can still cross outside of the times listed. However, you'd need to be flexible because ferry times are not fixed. Note that if you are taking across a vehicle to Laos - you will first need to clear immigration and customs paperwork for your vehicle at the main checkpoint, then drive about 1km to the vehicle ferry pier. If you cross without a vehicle, passenger ferries leave from next to the immigration office. I believe there are more ferries for only passenger use than if you want to bring a vehicle, car or motorcycle across.

At least one local told me his friend was refused when trying to bring a small Thai registered motorcycle across to Paksan, this was around January. This likely due to the case of some Thai riders that entered there months earlier who hadn't done any paperwork at the border. It was however not full confirmation. Thai customs will allow you to cross over to Laos without getting your passport stamped, with your motorcycle paperwork to request permission from Lao customs to bring your bike across. If they give you the green light to bring your bike across, you go back to the Thai side, stamp out, get the customs export documents done then cross with the bike into Laos. Note that since 250cc and above bikes are allowed across the nearby Nong Khai to Vientiane 1st Friendship Bridge just 140km away anyway, I wouldn't be spending too much effort to cross at Beung Kan unless driving a smaller bike, which I was.

I therefore can not definitively say whether you can now cross into Paksan from Beung Kan with a motorcycle - although with a larger bike you'll improve your chances. Very few people had attempted to do so when I asked (I think most locals wouldn't want to go through the hassle and expense of organizing the paperwork for their bike each time just for some quick shopping across the border, even if they knew they could bring their bikes across), but then again that crossing is so quiet that even passenger boats are not that common compared to other crossings. That will likely change once the 5th Thai-Lao bridge, currently just starting construction is finished in about 2-3 years time.

I have now updated the small map of Laos which shows the International Border Crossings for Laos to its neighboring countries. The situation with the bridges is still a hit and miss affair with motorbikes normally allowed to cross the bridge between Nongkhai and Vientiane (Frienshup Bridge 1) but not allowed at the new bridge between Chiangkhong and Huayxay (Friendship Bridge 4). With regard to the other 2 bridges - Nakhon Phatom to Thakheak (Friendship Bridge 3) and Mukdahan to Savannakhet (Friendship Bridge 2) it appears to be up to the people on duty if they will or will not allow bikes to cross the bridge.

The new Phudu (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing is expected to open sometime later this year and although it will be an International Crossing, there were rumours that foreigners may not be allowed to cross here at the start as the border post staff might have insufficient experience with vehicles crossing the border. However, at the moment the border crossing is being used on a daily basis by big trucks carrying cement from Thailand to Laos for large construction projects. These trucks are being processed in the same way as bikes and cars so the staff at the border crossings should have sufficient training to handle other vehicles right from the opening of the crossing.

At this moment there is no further info available with regard to Visa-on-Arrival nor on the opening times for the new Laos to China border crossing Lantouy to Kham in Phongsaly Province (Opened late December 2013).

Additions on 16 February 2014: Added a new Laos/Vietnam international border Ban Dan to Chiengkhuong (Vietnam) crossing in Huaphan Province. The Vietnamese Consulate in Luang Prabang indicated that the Nason (Luang Prabang province) to Huoi Puoc in Vietnam is also open for foreigners (Source: Laos/Vietnam border crossing)

An updated map can be found here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/showthread.php?t=105&page=4&p=59237&viewfull=1#post59237

Info from Lonely Planet: The Lantouy to Kham in Phongsaly Province (Opened late December 2013 and located north of Phongsaly - Road 1A) is International but, as seems to be quite common in Laos, the crossing is not yet open for foreigners.

The same is true for the Phudu (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing is now open and is International but foreigners can not yet cross here. When I asked them when foreigners could cross the answer was "Pii Mai" or New year but that can mean anything - This December/January New Year (2014/2015), Traditional New year in April 2014 or heaven forbids, New Year 2015/2016 but at this moment foreigners can not yet cross here.

Seeking information Laos to Cambodia border crossing with motorbike at Nong Nok Khoen - Dong Kralor.

I am a norwegian citizen for the moment in Thailand on a norwegian registred motorbike whoch I own myself. I am planning to ride a loop into Laos and Cambodia and would like to know more about the abovementioned bordercrossing. Is it doable for me? Will they let me cross into Cambodia from Laos with my bike? Whats experiences do you guys have?

I recently talked to a another norwegian guy who did a similar loop a month or two ago and he told me he was turned down at this border. The border guys on the cambodian side told him needed permission from authorities in Phnom Phen to enter by motorbike at that border. He had already stamped out of Laos so it was quite inconveniant for him to go back and try to explain this to the Laos border staff. (But the did eventually help him and stamped "cancelled" on his "left" stamp on the Laos visa side in his passport) He was on a thai registred motorbike he owns himself, 500 ccm. Eventually he got into Cambodia by crossing from Laos into Thailand at Chong Mek and then from Thailand into Cambodia in Si Sakhet or Surin province of Thailand somewhere in the direction to Siam Reap.

Is there any problems going the opposite way, in case this border really is closed for motorbikes without the correct paperwork? Its no major problem to start the trip in Cambodia. Just dont want to have any unpleasant surprises....

Seeking information Laos to Cambodia border crossing with motorbike at Nong Nok Khoen - Dong Kralor.

I am a norwegian citizen for the moment in Thailand on a norwegian registred motorbike whoch I own myself. I am planning to ride a loop into Laos and Cambodia and would like to know more about the abovementioned bordercrossing. Is it doable for me? Will they let me cross into Cambodia from Laos with my bike? Whats experiences do you guys have?

I recently talked to a another norwegian guy who did a similar loop a month or two ago and he told me he was turned down at this border. The border guys on the cambodian side told him needed permission from authorities in Phnom Phen to enter by motorbike at that border. He had already stamped out of Laos so it was quite inconveniant for him to go back and try to explain this to the Laos border staff. (But the did eventually help him and stamped "cancelled" on his "left" stamp on the Laos visa side in his passport) He was on a thai registred motorbike he owns himself, 500 ccm. Eventually he got into Cambodia by crossing from Laos into Thailand at Chong Mek and then from Thailand into Cambodia in Si Sakhet or Surin province of Thailand somewhere in the direction to Siam Reap.

Is there any problems going the opposite way, in case this border really is closed for motorbikes without the correct paperwork? Its no major problem to start the trip in Cambodia. Just dont want to have any unpleasant surprises....

I have crossed from Cambodia into Laos with my Thai registered bike without any issues two times. No bribes paid. The other way may be different. When the officials start talking about problems they are asking for a bribe. Try with $5 first, increase as neccesary. Do not go over $20.

Bump - anyone tried to cross from Laos to Cambodia lately? Nongnok Khien to Dong Kralor?

Bump - anyone tried to cross from Laos to Cambodia lately? Nongnok Khien to Dong Kralor?

I have not crossed there but it seems to be a "difficult" crossing with the Customs guys making all kind of excuses why you can not cross there on a bike but it appears that they are willing to waive their own rules with the right encouragement. As Nightrider70 says "When the officials start talking about problems they are asking for a bribe. Try with $5 first, increase as necessary. Do not go over $20."

For more info see: North Cambodia and South Laos and North East Cambodia and Southern Laos

Also some more info here: The next day we did reverse the all ferry story and we made our way to the border of Laos and Cambodia. On the Laos side all went very smooth but "Welcome to the bullshit of Cambadia". It started with a "Health Check" where we had to pay 2 us$ pp. Then at customs the officer asked if we thought it would be fair to pay 20 us$ pp. No way! So we settled for 20 us$ for the 2 of us. Then we had to get our Cambodian visa and were charged 25 us$ instead of 20 us$. By this time I was getting sick of the bullshit and I told the little f&*ers! from Walking in the Footsteps of Chang Noi: On the motorbike from Thailand to Laos and Cambodia and back to Thailand

Crossing from Cambodia into Laos seems to be much less of a problem. When crossing from Thailand and Cambodia, the best crossing with the least hassles seems to be the O'Smach (Chong Jom) off Thai Highway 214 - see: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/cambodia-ride-reports/5434-chiang-mai-phnom-penh-via-osmach-newbie.html

Admittedly, this is not recent info but it does seem to be a hit and miss affair on the Cambodian side so just try your luck

Thanks both Nightrider and Lonerider70 for information.

Cant understand all the hazzle at this border...... My friend even offered to pay to get through - but no, the border guys wasnt interested at all in money according to him.

Thanks both Nightrider and Lonerider70 for information.

Cant understand all the hazzle at this border...... My friend even offered to pay to get through - but no, the border guys wasnt interested at all in money according to him.

Welcome to this part of the world where rules are interpreted according to the whim of the officer in charge - today you can cross but tomorrow with someone else in charge, you can not cross although the circumstances are exactly the same). My impression (and I have lived here for about 35 years) is that government officials sometimes see themselves as "king in their own kingdom". Mind you the majority of the government officials are OK if not helpful but there are always a few who want to show you who is the boss.

Info from Lonely Planet: The Lantouy to Kham in Phongsaly Province (Opened late December 2013 and located north of Phongsaly - Road 1A) is International but, as seems to be quite common in Laos, the crossing is not yet open for foreigners.

The same is true for the Phudu (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing is now open and is International but foreigners can not yet cross here. When I asked them when foreigners could cross the answer was "Pii Mai" or New year but that can mean anything - This December/January New Year (2014/2015), Traditional New year in April 2014 or heaven forbids, New Year 2015/2016 but at this moment foreigners can not yet cross here.

I wouldn't trust Lonely Planet as the right source of information regarding the Phongsali (Ban Lanteuy to Jiangcheng) crossing. I believe it was designated as an "international" crossing some time back, perhaps 2-3 years ago but it did in fact finally open quietly in either December 2013 or January 2014 to all passport holders according to a number of minor news sources. I just haven't heard of anyone crossing there because it is quite isolated and compared to crossings between other SEA countries, not a whole lot of foreigners (for some reason) travel overland between China and it's neighbors. Even when I've crossed between Vietnam and China overland at the Hekou crossing, not once have I seen any other foreigners other than myself and a friend. Mostly just Vietnamese traders, not even many Chinese folks.

Anyway, I'd keep it as it is on the map and say it's an international crossing until/unless someone who has been there can state otherwise.

What I can confirm is almost certainly not a legitimate border crossing is the supposed Mekong River crossing halfway between the Golden Triangle and the Lao/China border at Xieng Kok, that is supposedly a crossing point into/out of Laos heading to/coming from China. Even when cargo boats are running and able to take passengers, I don't think there is an immigration checkpoint on the Lao side there so the only way of heading into China using the Mekong river has been to start in Chiang Saen on the Thai side, but that's very unreliable these days due to very few cargo boats and increased road traffic via Lao territory. I am also suspicious of the current Lao-Myanmar river crossing, which I have never heard anyone crossing or even enquiring about. At best, if it can be crossed is to go to the casino on the Myanmar side, but typically that's done from the Thai side at the Golden Triangle. Otherwise, if it does exist, it's probably only a locals crossing for trading purposes.

The good news is around that location marked as the 3rd China-Laos Mekong River crossing near Xieng Kok I believe, is the site of the actual upcoming first ever Lao-Myanmar crossing, which is slated to open in May after the first ever Lao-Myanmar Friendship bridge across the Mekong is finished reportedly next month.

And now the Phu Du crossing just opened like 2 weeks ago.

Laos-Vietnam opens 8th international checkpoint

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr Thongloun Sisoulith and his counterpart Mr Pham Binh Minh celebrated the opening of the Lalay international border checkpoint, while hundreds of delegates from both sides witnessed the event. "This is the eighth international checkpoint between Laos and Vietnam out of the 47 traditional, national and international checkpoints that are currently seen along the north to south borderline in both countries," Mr Thongloun said at the opening ceremony. According to a press release from the Foreign Ministry, Laos currently has 25 international checkpoints, eight bordering with Vietnam, two with China, one with Cambodia, 10 with Thailand and four international airports.

Lalay international checkpoint is an important strategy route of Road No. 15A, which links the 147km long road from urban Saravan province to the border of the two countries, while also linking 75km from urban Saravan on Road No. 15B to the southern Road No. 13 in Naphong area.

In the future, both of these roads will join a new checkpoint between Paktaphan in Saravan, Laos and Amnat Charoen province in Thailand as plans to build a friendship bridge are in the works.

Adapted from Vientiane Times Vientiane Times 26 June 2015

Laos, Vietnam to upgrade La Lay border crossing

The governments of Laos and Vietnam have allocated funding to upgrade the La Lay international border crossing, aiming to boost economic growth and tourism in this region. Opened in June last year, the La Lay border crossing is located on the border of Saravan province in Laos and Dakrong district in Vietnam's Quang Tri province.

The Lao government will invest 50 billion kip to build a checkpoint building at the border to facilitate the passage of both people and goods. Saravan provincial Department of Planning and Investment's Mr Xayadeth Vongsalavan told Vientiane Times last week "We are in the process of designing the checkpoint building and clearing land, with construction expected to take place in 2016." So far the authorities have spent 5 billion kip to repair the existing building which houses the customs offices and other sections.

Meanwhile Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung last Monday approved the investment of US$107 million in the La Lay border area in Quang Tri province. The development on the Vietnamese side will include a terminal for cargo transit, a concrete border gate, customs and logistics services, offices and roads, as well as water and electricity supply.

Source: La Lay border crossing - Facilities to be upgraded - By Somsack Pongkhao, (Latest Update August 31, 2015)

The existing facilities at the La Lay border crossing - Laos (on the left) and Vietnam (on the right)

La Lay Laos.png La Lay Vietnam.png

Admin, if you could update the map with the Phu Doo opening times. They are 6am to 8pm daily. However, when I went across in March on a Sunday, I showed up at the Thai checkpoint around 5.30pm and it took until 6.40pm until I was finally standing outside the Lao gate, which was closed. 15 minutes later, a guard carrying a rifle finally showed up to open the gate for me. He assured me the border does in fact close at 8pm, but exactly why they closed the gate well before the actual closing time is still a mystery to me.

VOA was not yet available on the Lao side when I went. It might be now, or will be soon. If your nationality requires one, apply in Bangkok or Khon Kaen before arriving at the border. Third party insurance needs to be purchased either at Paklay, 32km away, or the Nam Heuang crossing, or Saiyabuli. There will probably be someone who can sell insurance at the Phu Doo crossing in the near future but since it only opened up recently, it's not surprising there was nothing available when I went. The customs and immigration buildings on the Lao side are otherwise fully functioning and brand new, on the Thai side they are fully functioning too but could do with a bit of an upgrade! The road from the Lao side of the border all the way to the route 4 junction is easily the best in Laos; it's a little winding but in excellent condition with proper shoulders, reflectors and road markings. Just like any rural Thai road. Perhaps one day all Lao roads might be like this one?

I wouldn't trust Lonely Planet as the right source of information regarding the Phongsali (Ban Lanteuy to Jiangcheng) crossing. I believe it was designated as an "international" crossing some time back, perhaps 2-3 years ago but it did in fact finally open quietly in either December 2013 or January 2014 to all passport holders according to a number of minor news sources. I just haven't heard of anyone crossing there because it is quite isolated and compared to crossings between other SEA countries, not a whole lot of foreigners (for some reason) travel overland between China and it's neighbors. Even when I've crossed between Vietnam and China overland at the Hekou crossing, not once have I seen any other foreigners other than myself and a friend. Mostly just Vietnamese traders, not even many Chinese folks.

Anyway, I'd keep it as it is on the map and say it's an international crossing until/unless someone who has been there can state otherwise.

What I can confirm is almost certainly not a legitimate border crossing is the supposed Mekong River crossing halfway between the Golden Triangle and the Lao/China border at Xieng Kok, that is supposedly a crossing point into/out of Laos heading to/coming from China. Even when cargo boats are running and able to take passengers, I don't think there is an immigration checkpoint on the Lao side there so the only way of heading into China using the Mekong river has been to start in Chiang Saen on the Thai side, but that's very unreliable these days due to very few cargo boats and increased road traffic via Lao territory. I am also suspicious of the current Lao-Myanmar river crossing, which I have never heard anyone crossing or even enquiring about. At best, if it can be crossed is to go to the casino on the Myanmar side, but typically that's done from the Thai side at the Golden Triangle. Otherwise, if it does exist, it's probably only a locals crossing for trading purposes.

The good news is around that location marked as the 3rd China-Laos Mekong River crossing near Xieng Kok I believe, is the site of the actual upcoming first ever Lao-Myanmar crossing, which is slated to open in May after the first ever Lao-Myanmar Friendship bridge across the Mekong is finished reportedly next month.

And now the Phu Du crossing just opened like 2 weeks ago.

I can confirm that the Lanteuy international crossing between China and Myanmar has incorrectly been designated as already having opened to third country nationals, but apparently this is not yet the case. It will reportedly open in coming months or the next year or two, once the road on the Lao side has been improved. Exactly why the quality of the road is a reason to delay the border post's opening for foreign nationals is a mystery - some of us like adventure!

Also, no reports of the Lao-Myanmar friendship bridge being designated as international yet, and I would assume that only local traders would be allowed across and restricted to a short radius of travel near the border. Lao vehicles apart from trucks loading/unloading goods are not allowed across. There are still a lot of travel restrictions in Shan State and nowadays no foreign registered vehicles are allowed to leave the border town they entered unless they go on a tour. So that means Chinese vehicles coming from Ruili, can only stay in Mu-se, while it's much the same at the Mong La crossing which is officially shut anyway. Same thing if coming from Mae Sai over to Tachilek - Thai cars and motorcycles can't leave town.

Bungkhan to Paksan (Pakxane) border crossing

As there has been some confusion at the various forums if a Visa-on-Arrival was available on the Lao side I decided last week to pass by the border crossing on the Lao side. According to the two young immigration guys guarding the crossing, there is still no Visa-on-Arrival on the Lao side. "Have to get visa in Thailand" was their answer after some confusion about what the old white guy wanted.

Also, no reports of the Lao-Myanmar friendship bridge being designated as international yet, and I would assume that only local traders would be allowed across and restricted to a short radius of travel near the border. Lao vehicles apart from trucks loading/unloading goods are not allowed across. There are still a lot of travel restrictions in Shan State and nowadays no foreign registered vehicles are allowed to leave the border town they entered unless they go on a tour. So that means Chinese vehicles coming from Ruili, can only stay in Mu-se, while it's much the same at the Mong La crossing which is officially shut anyway. Same thing if coming from Mae Sai over to Tachilek - Thai cars and motorcycles can't leave town.

Yes, the Lao-Myanmar Friendship Bridge was opened in May this year but at the moment it is only open as a "Local Crossing" due to that the countries have not yet finalized their juristic acts.

Laos-Myanmar bridge awaits juristic acts

Laos-Myanmar Friendship Bridge in Luang Namtha province in the northern parts of the country has yet to become an official international border as the juristic acts between the two countries have not been completed. While the bridge crossing the Mekong River is still waiting for the requisite juristic acts to be passed, it has now opened as a traditional border initially for people between the two countries to exchange goods for sale and visit each other along this border area. Head of the committee on border management for Laos-Myanmar, Mr Samly Sisomphone, told Vientiane Times on Monday that about 10 or 20 people are crossing this border on the bridge. Some are travelling to see the new bridge site and then returning home. Currently, most people from Laos are travelling to Myanmar for selling goods at the border while the Myanmar people typically go on tour in the border area and the town of Long district, Luang Namtha province.

Source: Vientiane Times 29 September 2015

The latest update for the Laos Border Crossings (updated May 2016)

Laos Border Crossings May 2016.jpg

Besides these 23 land border crossings there are a few more like the 4 International Airports where you can enter Laos with Visa on Arrival (Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Pakse and Savannakhet) as well as the Thanaleng Railway Station border point and twice a week small canoe ferry from Ban Mo in Thailand (just south of Vientiane) to Vientiane making for a total of 29 international border crossings.

I just called the Laos Immigration Department in Vientiane about the Pu Doo (Uttaradit) to Paklay border crossing and they confirmed that there is now a Visa on Arrival (VoA) service. I'll cross there next weekend and I'll post info on the crossing here and update the border crossing map after I have checked with them on the other border crossings which may or may not have the VoA service.

Capture.jpg

Must be a very new visa on arrival service at Phu Doo (perhaps as of January 1?) because as of December last year when I crossed there it was not available yet. Border opening times still 6am to 8pm. No currency exchange service at the border except if you exchange with the border officials, who won't give you a particularly good rate.

Must be a very new visa on arrival service at Phu Doo (perhaps as of January 1?) because as of December last year when I crossed there it was not available yet. Border opening times still 6am to 8pm. No currency exchange service at the border except if you exchange with the border officials, who won't give you a particularly good rate.

We crossed a few weeks ago at Phu Doo and the immigration guys at the Lao side confirmed that there is still NO VISA ON ARRIVAL AVAILABLE for people entering from Thailand.

Does anyone have any recent info if they are allowing bikes through at the Mukdahan/Savannakhet crossing?

Does anyone have any recent info if they are allowing bikes through at the Mukdahan/Savannakhet crossing?

Greg - That's always been a tricky bridge crossing for motorcycles, I wouldnt risk it. Last event I know of there, Russ came across from the Laos side to Thailand. Because motorcycles are discretionary on that border crossing, they wouldn't issue Russ a temporary import for his foreign bike on entry into Thailand, it made a huge mess, he ended up having to ride 1,000km back there.

Thanks Phil. Are there any reliable border crossing places south of Vientiane? I want to go to Xepon.

For safety maybe go to the Ubon/ Pakse crossing which is 100%? You're a bit far south but a fun ride to Xepon.

Yes, I agree with Phil - the Chongmek (Ubon Rachathani - Thailand) to Vangtao (Pakse - Laos) located at N15 08.017 E105 28.084 is a safe bet to cross from Thailand to Laos as the bridges at Savannakhet (Friendship Bridge II) and at Thakhaek (Friendship Bridge III) often refuse to let bikes cross from Thailand to Laos. From Laos to Thailand the bridges are normally OK.

Hi Everyone.. I m planning a viet- laos trip
My first plan was to rent in Hanoi, and [FONT="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]enter Laos by , Bo y/ Attapeu and out by Sao/ Nam Phao
[/FONT]
Apparently, there is only one border allowing bike !
-"You only can ride into Laos via NA MEO border ( ONLY this border allows to bring bike into Laos) and come back to Vietnam via any international borders from Laos."

Is anyone had experienced crossing recently anywhere else?

Thanks for the info

Ange

My first plan was to rent in Hanoi, and [FONT="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3]enter Laos by , Bo y/ Attapeu and out by Sao/ Nam Phao
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[COLOR=#444444]Apparently, there is only one border allowing bike !
-"You only can ride into Laos via [B]NA MEO border [/B]( ONLY this border allows to bring bike into Laos) and come back to Vietnam via any international borders from Laos."

Thanks for the info

Ange
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

There are quite a few people (mainly back-packers) who buy a Vietnamese registered bike in Vietnam or Laos or Cambodia and cross the border between Vietnam and Laos or Vietnam with Cambodia with a motorbike and generally they have no problems as long as they have blue Vietnamese ownership card for the bike. It most probably might be difficult to cross the border between Laos and Cambodia with a motorbike. Although things change from time to time, the following article on crossing the Vietnam/Laos and other borders seems to be quite accurate - [URL="http://www.vietnamvisa-easy.com/blog/crossing-borders-with-a-motorbike-in-indo-china/"]Crossing-borders-with-a-motorbike-in-indo-china/[/URL]

Here is the part of the various border with indications where you can cross:

Vie Lao border crossings.jpg

Hey Lone Rider
Thanks a lot for the updated infos !! very usefull to plan my road trip
The blue Vietnamese ownership card is provided with the Rental bike i will get !

I would love to cross the Border at Cau treo/ Nam Phao (Road to Lak Sao) this will reduce my trip of many km...

Before i do my travel, i ll start a new post to get the last info about this border...or about any change that my happen.

Anyway, don t hesitate to update this post from your last experience

Thanks to all

Regarding the Huay Kon (Nan) crossing, Auke showed some pix from 2011 where the old building was demolished and temporary ones put in place. The old building looks identical to the one at Phu Doo, which I assume will also eventually be converted into something new (on the Lao side the Phu Doo crossing has new buildings). Going through Huay Kon in 2015 I saw the temporary ones. I am assuming they are planning on constructing a new customs/immigration complex on the Thai side as well as on the Lao side. When are these likely to be finished?

My first plan was to rent in Hanoi, and enter Laos by , Bo y/ Attapeu and out by Sao/ Nam Phao

Apparently, there is only one border allowing bike !
-"You only can ride into Laos via NA MEO border ( ONLY this border allows to bring bike into Laos) and come back to Vietnam via any international borders from Laos."

Thanks for the info

Ange

You should probably inform both Vietnamese and Lao customs where you will be exiting/ re-entering Vietnam as my Vietnamese friend, driving a Vietnamese car was fined around 1 million Dong for crossing into Laos at a different border checkpoint to the one entered in his Lao-Vietnam car permit. He was also delayed at the border for 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom