LAOS INTERNATIONAL BORDER CROSSINGS

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
International Thailand-Laos Border Crossings

Chongmek (Ubon Rachathani - Thailand) to Vangtao (Pakse - Laos) at N15 08.017 E105 28.084

Coming from Thailand, make sure you have enough photocopies of the green/blue book (they don't seem to use/accept the "Passport Rot" from the Transport Department) as well as for the passport (picture/name page only). In case you don't have photocopies you can have them made in the main building on the right-hand side.

Go to the booth on the right side to complete the immigration facilities and after that to the Customs booth (on the left) to complete the "Temporary Export" documents.

164789_10150183755838345_610023344_8670091_5876684_n.jpg

Once completed you can head to the Lao side but there is another Customs booth on the right hand side just before the gate and they may want to see the documents. They have never asked me but you never know.

On the Lao side there is right after the border crossing a booth on the right hand side for a check of the Thai papers. Normally no one is there and you can then go to the Avian Flue Decontamination Point to have the bike disinfected (wheels only).

Vangtao1.jpg

In case you don't have a visum you can get a "Visa-on-Arrival" at the side closest to the border. Here are also 2 Insurance booths (LVI and Toko). The AIG insurance is at the same place as the Customs people - the guy speaks good English and is very helpful and he knows all the tricks. After stamping the passport the Temporary Import papers are prepared by the Customs people (they have given me always 30 days unlike in Vientiane where the "standard period" is 7 days) - fee 200 Baht.

Vangtao2.jpg

Once completed you can enter Laos but about 100 meters to the east there is another gate and the Customs people will here enter all the particulars in the "big book" but once that is done you can drive to Pakse.

See also this for some changes at the Lao side of the crossing: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ternational-border-crossings-3.html#post31147

Last edited by a moderator:
The small map below shows all the International Border Crossings of Laos and indicates which crossings have not yet "Visa on Arrival" facilities when entering Laos so you will need to obtain a visa from a Lao Embassy or Consulate before you enter at these crossings. At 2 crossings with Thailand it may not be possible to enter by bike (Nongkhai- Vientiane and Mukdahan to Savannakhet) as there are some restrictions depending on where the bike is registered, etc. It is possible to leave from Vientiane to Nongkhai by bike but this seems not to be possible from Savannakhet to Mukdahan.

LaosBorderCrossings1C.jpg

An updated map can be found here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/showthread.php?t=105&page=4&p=59237&viewfull=1#post59237

All border crossings between Laos and Vietnam are off-limit for motorbikes unless a permit has been obtained from the Vietnamese authorities. The same is valid for China and in both cases, when given permission, you will have to be accompanied by a local guide.

With regard to Myanmar no information is available but it can be assumed that it will not be possible to enter by bike.

Thailand to Laos: No Visa on Arrival at the Bungkhan to Paksan border crossing by ferry

Vietnam to Laos: No Visa on Arrival at the Tay Trang to Sop Houn crossing (Muang Khua on Rd 2E) and the Chalo to Nam Pao crossing (to Thakheak on Rd 12).

Myanmar to Laos: No Visa on Arrival (Vangpong to Mueang Mom)

Xiengkok River Crossing on the Mekong (passenger traffic from China, etc.) has no Visa on Arrival facilities so get a visa beforehand.

Crossed into Laos at Chongmek on February 4th. Some minor additions:

Got an UNCONFIRMED report that Thai Customs will not allow bikes under 250cc to exit Thailand. Worth checking if you are touring on a small bike.

The Thai side wants 2 copies eac of your passport, the owner page and the tax page of the green book. Copies are 1 baht each in the main building.

The AIG insurance agent was not around, so we were sent to the booths. Nobody at the Toko booth, and the girl at the Lao/Viet booth had never sold insurance for a motorcycle. The first call to the boss got the info that they would only sell us coverage for a year for 500 baht, When we said OK, the second call to the boss got the statement that they would NOT sell insurance for a bike. We went back to the Customs office, and fortunately the AIG agent was back. 30 days insurance for 240 baht.

Never noticed the Avian Flue Decontamination Point, and drove past it. No objections anywhere in the process.

If coming to Chongmek via Khon Kaen, you can get the Lao visa at the Consulate there. You pay a little extra, but get it in 5 minutes. Beats waiting in a long queue for Visa on arrival.

BobS

I've got my Laos immigration visa at the Khon Kaen Laos consulate before Bob, you're right, it's very convenient.

About crossing the bridges from Laos to Thailand:

We entered at Chongmek, and exited at Vientiane with a Thai registered bike. No problem leaving.

We asked Lao Customs if we could enter Laos with a bike from Nong Khai - no problem was the reply.

On the Thai side in Nong Khai, we asked the Customs officer if we could take a bike over to Laos - no problem was the reply.

While riding from south to north, we stopped at the Savannakhet bridge, and asked about exitiing there. Again - no problem.

And that is the flavor of the day. Who knows what the story will be tomorrow.

BobS

When you call the Thai bridge border crossings and they say "no" to motorcycle crossings, it seems to be the standard answer as they don't allow mopeds/ 125cc bikes to cross the bridges from the Thai side into Laos.

I don't know anyone that has turned up on a big bike at any of the bridges and been refused exit from Thailand across the regular bridges.

BobS said:
About crossing the bridges from Laos to Thailand:

We entered at Chongmek, and exited at Vientiane with a Thai registered bike. No problem leaving.

We asked Lao Customs if we could enter Laos with a bike from Nong Khai - no problem was the reply.

On the Thai side in Nong Khai, we asked the Customs officer if we could take a bike over to Laos - no problem was the reply.

While riding from south to north, we stopped at the Savannakhet bridge, and asked about exitiing there. Again - no problem.

And that is the flavor of the day. Who knows what the story will be tomorrow.

BobS

I have been refused exit from Thailand on a Thai registered "larger" motorcycle at the Nong Kai Freedom Bridge, and also at Mukdaham Freedom Bridge 2. Yet I have come into Thailand over both the bridges by the same bike. Seems some times you can get out and you have a better chance if your motorcycle is NOT Thai registered. Just wouldn't bet on it being a sure thing, where as the ferry and land crossings are 100% if your documentation is correct. Thanks "Lone Rider" for the map and info. (also for all your help previously).

OK, will update the map with the information on yes/no motorbikes allowed (or not) to cross the border.

The Huay Khon (Nan) to Mueng Ngeun (Hongsa/Pak Beng) border

The Huay Khon (north of Nan) to Mueng Ngeun (Laos) border crossing.

The main building for the Huay Khon border crossing. [glow=red:27vh066e]This building has now been demolished (May 2012) and temporary buildings have been put up which house the customs and immigration people.[/glow:27vh066e]

HuayKhonLaosImmigrationandCustoms.jpg

Start at the Immigration for departure to Laos. They are located on the left side of the building. Make sure you have photocopies of all the relevant documents like vehicle registration book, passport photo page, etc. beforehand as their photocopy machine may not be working. Once stamped out, proceed to the Customs people who are are on the right side to get the temporary export documents completed.

You can now drive a few hundred meters onward to the Lao side. Stop about 10 meters or so before the barrier as the young immigration/customs guys sitting in the small shed at the barrier on the Lao side are a bit peculiar about that.

GEDC0579lookingtowardsThailand.jpg

The barrier (seen from the Lao side) and the small shacks on the north side (in the picture on the right side) for insurance, phone cards, etc.

They check the Thai documents and the passport and you then have to walk to the immigration and customs building (the small white building) for your visa and other documents.

LaosImmigrationbuildinginsidewithtext.jpg

Visa on Arrival is in the center, immigration on the right hand side and the customs people on the left side. In case you do not yet have a visa start at Visa on Arrival, then Immigration and followed by Customs for the temporary import document. Once finished, walk back to the barrier where they probably want to check again everything before you can enter Laos.

GEDC0550MuangNgeunBorderCrossingLaos.jpg

My passenger was not allowed to sit in the car and be driven over the border but had to walk over the border line and could get into the car once a meter over the border.

GEDC0577MuangNgeunImmigrationandCustomsLaos-1.jpg

On the way back things are more relaxed - just stop at the small white building, go to Immigration Departure and then to Customs who will stamp the Thai temporary export documents and retain the Lao temporary impost document (the green form).

Ride up to the barrier and the young guys will go over the paper work and hopefully they find nothing wrong and you can drive over to the Thai border crossing. Park on the right side just after the barrier for the bird flue decontamination spray (20 Baht)

GEDC0582BirdFluDecontaminationHuayKhonThailand.jpg

and walk to the left for the arrival procedure (arrival card and stamping in).

GEDC0583ImmigrationArrivalHuayKhonThailand.jpg

Once stamped in go to the customs people on the left and they will retain the temporary export document and sign your vehicle into Thailand again.

GEDC0584CustomsandImmigrationHuayKhonThailand.jpg

GEDC0548MuangNgeunFutureBorderCrossing.jpg

This is the drawing of the new building of the Immigration/Customs on the Lao side. This will take some time as at the moment there is nothing which indicates that construction will start anytime soon.

Re: The Huay Khon (Nan) to Mueng Ngeun (Hongsa/Pak Beng) bor

The road down to the Thai checkpoint is very steep, almost looks flat in your 1st photo! For people that havn't been into Laos at this border crossing, its a nice stress free way to cross the border (no ferries or bridges, just a land crossing) apart from the excited soldier checkpoint on the Laos side, which can be quite amusing.

Priceless stuff for my April Trip. Hoping to meet you guys for some route refinement and/or suggestions.

Thanks.

( mod feel free to remove post if you'd like to keep the site informative and comment free. )

Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Have updated the map in original post to show the possibilities to bring in motorbikes across the bridges.

I'm printing that screenshot out of the boarder crossings to Laos - very useful with the crossing allowance information - thankyou

Great information. I plan to try to find Pha Phueng Cave in northern Nan and then go to Luang Prabang. If I could enter with my bike at Huay Khon it would be almost too good to be true.

Nightrider70 said:
Great information. I plan to try to find Pha Phueng Cave in northern Nan and then go to Luang Prabang. If I could enter with my bike at Huay Khon it would be almost too good to be true.

It's no problem entering Laos there, I did it 10 days ago

We found a new Mekong ferry crossing about 30km west of Paxsan, Laos, that was being used by a mining company for logistics from thailand.

He said that there were plans to make it into an international border crossing.

5724875277_59f3cca8bd_b.jpg

ferry 30km west of paxsan.jpg

Good day.. Anyone can help me on this, me and wife are planning to transfer to Laos with our 2year old 110cc smash. Is that possible to cross the boarder without hassle and what are the requirements.. Any info will be a helpful. thank you :RO

Depends a bit on what country the bike is registered in but generally speaking you should have no problems although, as BobS mentioned in a post there are sometimes problems with Customs in not allowing small bikes registered in Thailand out of the country.

Best is to use a land crossing (Chiangkhong to Houayxai - Ferry, Nan to Muang Ngeun, Loei to Kenthao and Buengkhan to Pakxane - Ferry) as the bridge crossings are often off-limit to motorbikes (see the post by Harrythefinn).

What you need is your passport preferably with a visa for Thailand (the Buengkhan to Pakxane crossing has no visa on arrival at the Lao side - all the other crossings have visa on arrival) and the bike registration book (the green book). If at all possible, get a "Passport Rod" (a small purple coloured) booklet for Thai registered bikes which basically is a translation of the green bike registration book and which you can get at the Land Transportation Department (cost about 50 Baht).

Please note that the Ferry Crossings are only open during weekdays while the other crossings are open 7 days a week.

Will ask in here.. Has anyone heard of problems taking in small scooter sized bikes ??

I remember reading they didnt like it, as they didnt want Thais to go back and forth or illegally import small bikes.. But that it was sort of more tolerated by farangs ?? But there was a bit of discretion around it.

I ask as I have some mates talking about a scooter tour, and I would hate them to fly here and then get border problems.

Plan would be Thai bikes for Laos and Perhaps cambo.

LivinLOS said:
Will ask in here.. Has anyone heard of problems taking in small scooter sized bikes ??

I remember reading they didnt like it, as they didnt want Thais to go back and forth or illegally import small bikes.. But that it was sort of more tolerated by farangs ?? But there was a bit of discretion around it.

I ask as I have some mates talking about a scooter tour, and I would hate them to fly here and then get border problems.

Plan would be Thai bikes for Laos and Perhaps cambo.

You won't be able to go north-bound at Nong Khai. Thailand, across the Friendship Bridge into Vientiane Laos, you will have to use a different border crossing. Apart from that, with the correct documentation, shouldn't be a problem.

LaosBorderCrossings1C.jpg

An updated map can be found here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-information/105-laos-international-border-crossings-3.html#post45475

Thanks Lone Rider. Yup my motorcycle is registered in Thailand. So this the best way to make going to Lao.
Best is to use a land crossing (Chiangkhong to Houayxai - Ferry, Nan to Muang Ngeun, Loei to Kenthao and Buengkhan to Pakxane - Ferry) as the bridge crossings are often off-limit to motorbikes (see the post by Harrythefinn). Is that all the requirements for that? because were planning to stay longer there (Lao). Sorry for the questions its just my first time in this.

No problems to answer questions - did the same when I crossed the first time to Laos. Most of the Lao border crossings give you a 30 day entry permit for your bike/car but at the crossing Nongkhai to Vientiane they will give you a standard seven days permit. You can ask for more and they have never refused to give me a permit for a longer stay. Best is to ask specifically for a 30 day entry permit for the bike when you cross the border.

At the end of the 30 day permit, the permit for the bike can be extended but this requires quite a bit of running around and you probably will need to have a Lao speaking assistant to make thing go smooth.

KTMphil said:
Nightrider70 said:

Phil and others,
I am thinking about doing a border crossing here.
What is the process like?
Can I get across with a Honda 250 CBR in my name?
Is there visa upon arrival (as shown on the map)?

Thanks in advance,
JB

JB - the Huay Khon / Muang Nguen border crosssing ( North Nan) is an easy crossing - no problems with the CBR 250. Laos side the paperwork is a bit slow, make sure you have copies of passport and bike reg. & you sign them & also a passport photo for the Laos visa.

Some photo's of the border crossing here towards the beginning of this report:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/1478-north-laos-loop-craig-hienz-som.html

jb2112 said:
KTMphil said:
Nightrider70 said:

Phil and others,
I am thinking about doing a border crossing here.
What is the process like?
Can I get across with a Honda 250 CBR in my name?
Is there visa upon arrival (as shown on the map)?

Thanks in advance,
JB

Slow is right.. We got there and it was as though it was shut.. After a good long wait we found someone to start the bike processing, but then for the visa processing the guy simply wasnt there.. The customs woman hustled around, made phone calls that went unanswered and looked apologetic, and by now there was quite a few people waiting.. Finally he turned up, hair all over and almost certainly just been off for a 1 hour nap.

Took a good old while to get through.

Slow is right.. We got there and it was as though it was shut.. After a good long wait we found someone to start the bike processing, but then for the visa processing the guy simply wasnt there.. The customs woman hustled around, made phone calls that went unanswered and looked apologetic, and by now there was quite a few people waiting.. Finally he turned up, hair all over and almost certainly just been off for a 1 hour nap.

Took a good old while to get through.

KTMphil said:
JB - the Huay Khon / Muang Nguen border crosssing ( North Nan) is an easy crossing - no problems with the CBR 250. Laos side the paperwork is a bit slow, make sure you have copies of passport and bike reg. & you sign them & also a passport photo for the Laos visa.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/1478-north-laos-loop-craig-hienz-som.html

Phil,
Thanks for the reply. After reading your trip report I think I may take the Lifan!

jb2112 said:
KTMphil said:

laos-ride-reports/north-laos-loop-with-craig-hienz-som-t1578.html

Phil,
Thanks for the reply. After reading your trip report I think I may take the Lifan!

Take the Lifan and take the dirt route to Luang Prabang, 120km of dirt riding. Heading westwards into Laos, the left turn (NE) for the dirt road to Luang Prabang is about 13km west of the town Hongsa, there are handwritten signs at the turns now.

file.php

Re: The Huay Khon (Nan) to Mueng Ngeun (Hongsa/Pak Beng) bor

Lone Rider said:
The Huay Khon (north of Nan) to Mueng Ngeun (Laos) border crossing.

The main building for the Huay Khon border crossing.

UPDATE _ The Huay Khon (Nan) to Mueng Ngeun (Hongsa/Pak Beng) border

The building on the Thai side (shown above) is no longer there. Guess the passage-ways were to narrow for the transport of the heavy equipment coming from Thailand for the Hongsa Power Plant which is being built in Hongsa.

Customs has been moved to the left side about 100 meter to the south from where it was earlier(coming from Thailand)

IMG_1657edit.jpg

Immigration Inbound is still at the same site but the Outbound site is now in a small container building on the left hand side (coming from Thailand), more or less where the original customs/immigration building was located

IMG_1658edit.jpg

I would have got a shock pulling up there to find all this gone, thanks for the heads-up Auke!

Amazing all demolished so that the trucks carrying construction parts for the Hongsa power plant can get through.

KTMphil said:
I would have got a shock pulling up there to find all this gone, thanks for the heads-up Auke!

Amazing all demolished so that the trucks carrying construction parts for the Hongsa power plant can get through.

And some might of thought that it would of been easier just to cut a road in around the building for oversize loads.

KTMphil said:
jb2112 said:
KTMphil said:

laos-ride-reports/north-laos-loop-with-craig-hienz-som-t1578.html

Phil,

Take the Lifan and take the dirt route to Luang Prabang, 120km of dirt riding. Heading westwards into Laos, the left turn (NE) for the dirt road to Luang Prabang is about 13km west of the town Hongsa, there are handwritten signs at the turns now.

file.php

Is there any problems doing this route this time of the year to Luang Prabang? How are the river crossings?

I am thinking about heading up to CM and then over to Laos since my visa will be up. Just looking at options.

KTMphil said:
Should be no problem Jim, we've done it this time of year several times

Well that is encouraging, thanks Phil.

How about the track from Luang Prabang to Phonsavan that you and Don did last year at this time?

I am just leery of crossing rivers in a single canoe with a 500 pound bike. Unlike you I would be through the canoe and into the river bed.

AlexUK did the Luang Prabang / Phonxai/ Phonsavan trail about 6 weeks ago. I think you should be fine, a lot of it is pick-up dirt roads

file.php

They do have a catamaran raft there too that they will prob charge you a lot more for if you're concerned. The canoe at the Nam Khan river crossing is small, in fact i capsized the canoe trying to adjust the DRZ 400's position while on the canoe and burst the planks when the bike fell!

5695189161_7a4e587833_b.jpg

more here on that trip:

10-day-dirt-trail-riding-in-north-east-laos-part-2-t376.html

BWG950S said:
KTMphil said:
Should be no problem Jim, we've done it this time of year several times

Well that is encouraging, thanks Phil.

How about the track from Luang Prabang to Phonsavan that you and Don did last year at this time?

I am just leery of crossing rivers in a single canoe with a 500 pound bike. Unlike you I would be through the canoe and into the river bed.

Back
Top Bottom