Kick Start Procedure after a Tip-Over

AlexUSA

Bikes
XR280R, Dash 125 (supercup) , DT125
Wondering what the fastest procedure is to get an XR250R going again after the engine dies from being on its side (whether from a fall or from me maneuvering under a tree, etc.)

I hold the throttle full open for the first few kicks. Then I start to kick as normal.

Sometimes this doesn't seem to work and I kick and kick but no matter what it seems like it just takes a matter of time (a few minutes) for things to return to normal in there.

Keeping in mind I don't really know what's happening inside my carburetor, is there anything I might be doing wrong? If it's not starting should I keep kicking or wait? Open the throttle again?

I haven't had this problem in a race yet but I was practicing for the Maejo enduro last week and took a spill and wasted so much time and energy trying to get the bike started again it would have totally killed my time on the stage.

Alex - When i drop the DRZ, with the carb draining when on it's side, it then takes 20 seconds to restart the bike with the electric start on matter what I do.

One theory is to close the choke, then with the air shut off & a couple of quick kicks, you could pull more fuel back into the carb quicker, then open the choke to start.

The dreaded, drop and kick syndrome.
This is when those heavyweight electric start guys look smart.

Just spinning the motor with the throttle open to clear the fuel air mixture till it starts with a thumb on the button is real easy!
But if yer Kickin... :bash :bash

What I do..
If the bike falls on the right side,
Hit the kill button immediately! Because the oil bath in the head will drain into the crankcase past the "hole" were the timing chain passes. Of course the camshaft is now dry, so keeping the engine running will not be nice for your cam and rockers.
Right side fall is good, because you have access to the fuel petcock to shut it off.

I always make sure the kill switch is in the off position.
Otherwise backfire through the carby is likely.
When that happens.. the chance of dislodging your air filter, burning it ( I have done that).
With the choke closed it could blow the carby off the manifold?
Of course you want to avoid this scenario.
That’s why you see this hinged pressure release, on the choke plate.
choke-plate.jpg

Then choke open, throttle wide open, de-compresser lever pulled and run the engine around 3 or 4 times taking time to let the carby float level to equalize and the air fuel mixture to return to normal.
Return Kill switch to RUN position1
My XR4 likes the Idle adjustment turned up a couple turns at this point, 2 more kicks and usually running!

Sit down, take your helmet off & have a smoke for 5 minutes.
My old '94 XR600 didn't like starting after a lie down, so that method worked (otherwise I'ld end up kicking the bike instead of trying to kick start it.)

So would you just hold the throttle open and keep kicking until it starts? Or close it after a few kicks and then try to start with closed throttle? That's where I'm unsure after it doesn't start on the first 4-5 kicks.

Had a race on Sunday and got stuck in a mudhole (50m before the finish :bash) for about 1:30 of a ~20:00 special stage. I could have gotten the bike out in :30 had I not been so scared that it would tip over on the side and die. :cry

kick 3or4 times on closed throttle, then 4times wide open throttle(maybe with choke out and hot start)then close throttle and repeat until it works?
As much as most people say dont touch the throttle,some of my bikes have started better on 1/8 throttle

Back
Top Bottom