JBR : From Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai and back via Nakhon Thai and Petchabun

Changnoi1

Bikes
Kawasaki Z250
Due to not having my laptop this JBR is a bit late 3 weeks after my tour, but never mind.

I took of via route 12 to Chumpae again, another 100km boring straight road. Then thru the beautiful road & mountains of Nam Nao. Even after have been riding it about 10 times now it is still a beautiful ride.

From Lok Sak I took route 203 (again) to Dan Sai for early lunch at the coffee shop & restaurant in the main street. From there the beautiful country side route 2113 to Na Heao. I had planned to stay there overnight but it was just a bit after lunch time so I continued along route 1268 to Ban Khok where I did find a lovely small resort "MK Resort" just 4km from the Lao border. In this area are 2 Border Markets and I had planned to visit Bo Bia the next day early in the morning.

This is such a beautiful area with grea roads and beautiful scenery. So the next day I first did visit the border market Chet Thon where was an market the day before via route 1268 (really?). Well there was nobody so I could easily ride straight into Laos without anyone stopping me. Actually I did for 100m and made a U-turn as there was not much road.

Then I continued my ride to Bo Bia via route 1123 and did visit the market. The market is actually in a kind of no-mans-land but there is something that looks like an border check. It was busy with Lao people buying Thai things.

From Bo Bia I went a bit back and then to Nan where I did stay at "Nan Boutique Hotel", good place with private parking. From Nan I took the scenic route via route 1143 to Chiang Kham and then to Phayao. Wow route 1143 is a great road with good tarmac and stunning views. Not a good place to get a flat tyre.

While on the way I did meet a few riders and we did "know" each other via web-boars like this. It is a small world!

I stayed 2 night in Chaing Mai to meet old & new friends and made my ride back via Nakhon Thai (Plern Dow Resort), Khao Kho and Petchabun (Burapa Hotel).

It was nice meeting some guys at Riders Corner and I hope the Laos map I bought for my Garmin will work out to be useful this week when I am of to Laos (and Cambodia).

It was a great trip with good road, good weather (only once a little heavy but short rain near Nan) and I saw only 1 accident all the way (and 100's of almost accidents).

I made a trip report with more information and photos at Walking in the Footsteps of Chang Noi: A motorbike trip from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai

Always used to use the Burapa hotel in Petchabun till I found "Homeland Resort", a few km north of town. Really nice clean rooms for 500 baht and the best thing after a day in the saddle...... a swimming pool! Good food, cold beer and usually some hunnies out from town using the pool so very pleasant on the eyes too!

Chiang Mai. May 2009 010.jpg

Chiang Mai. May 2009 011.jpg

Chiang Mai. May 2009 013.jpg

Keep a lookout for this archway on your left as you head north out of town on the main road..... the hotel is down at the end of the soi.

Chiang Mai. May 2009 015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom