Indonesia On The 2021 MotoGP Calendar

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Earthquake ravaged Indonesia now figures in the 2021 MotoGP calendar, no date has been mentioned but most likely will be mid October, this is sure to be a boost tourism and inject much needed cash into the country.

More here from the Jakarta Times.

Indonesia will host a world-class motor racing event for the first time after more than two decades as the country has secured a deal with Dorna Sports’ MotoGP for a slot in the 2021 season.

The country had held two consecutive MotoGP stints at the Sentul International Circuit in Bogor, West Java, in 1996 and 1997. Legend Valentino Rossi of Italy won Indonesia’s 125 cc title in 1997.

Indonesia Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC), a state-owned company, sealed the deal with Dorna for the prestigious motorcycle race. The event is to be held on a new circuit in the Mandalika Special Economic Zone on the island of Lombok in West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), which was hit by a devastating series of earthquakes last year.

“We signed a contract in Madrid on Jan. 29 with Dorna, the MotoGP operator, and Mandalika's street circuit is targeted to have its first race in 2021. Now, we will focus on establishing the venue, infrastructure and facilities," ITDC president director Abdulbar M. Mansoer told the press on Tuesday.

The deal includes hosting the race as well as developing the circuit.

The construction of the 4.32-kilometer racetrack through beautiful scenery from mountains to pristine beaches is part of the effort to turn Mandalika into a world-class tourist destination.

I've been living in Kuta Lombok, just a few kms from the site of the course, for 10 yrs. I first saw the master plan for the Mandalika site about 6 yrs ago. The GP track was part of the plan. To be honest, I thought it was a pipe dream. But in the last 4 years there has been a massive amount of money spent. There is still a lot to do but I think it's going to happen. Indonesians are Moto GP crazy. 80% of vehicles are two-wheeled. As an event to launch the name "Lombok" to the world as a tourist destination I think it's got legs. I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom