Importing Indonesian Registered Motorcycle into Malaysia and or Singapore

merantau

Bikes
Kawasaki KLX150, Honda Vario
Has anyone done this? If you have any info you can pass on would be most appreciated. I believe there is a ferry that runs from Dumai to Melaka so that would be my first choice. I have no desire to enter Singapore if it can be avoided and ship travel is my preferred option.

I've done it with an Aussie-registered bike. I needed the Carnet for Malaysia, IIRC. Chakra Enterprises do the shipping from the port near Medan in Sumatra. It all worked well. Had to fly over, as the ferry is long gone and I couldn't go on the ship with the bike. I think K0diak went with his bike, somewhere further south.

Did you get your carnet in Australia? I met an Aussie in Indonesia a couple of months ago He got his carnet in Australia and if, I understood him correctly, the RACQ charged him about $2500 most of which he will not get back.
Years ago (1973) the Malayan AA issued me with a carnet for my Australian registered Honda BEFORE I left Australia. I shipped the bike to Singapore. This was a great help to me as they only required me to deposit $400 with them whereas the RACV wanted $1200. Do you know if you can get a carnet issued by an Indonesian motoring authority?

You may not need one if it is Indonesian registered... ASEAN and all that.... but I don't know.

Yes, mine was issued by the NRMA. Cost me about $1,100 of which I got $250 back. There's the refundable fee, returned when the carnet is closed out, a $400 non-refundable fee and the rest is an insurance charge.... 2% of 150% of the bike's value IIRC. Its 400% of the bike's value for some countries, like India. Not sure about getting one in Indonesia, but should be able to if they have a motoring organisation. I'd check the ASEAN bit first though

Excuse my ignorance but what is IIRC? Is it some sort of International insurance? When I did my trip insurance for such a venture did not exist ASAIKnew. It was all about the carnet. I think my bike ran out of Aussie registration somewhere along the track too. BTW Bigfella I showed that footage of yours on the KTM in Java to a couple of mates - they were speechless!

Sorry... IIRC - If I Recall Correctly.

As for that Java footage... just as well I didn't have the video on when I was getting into it a bit.

I must admit, I did use the rego renewal papers for a while, no-one there was any the wiser. The bike was actually registered, but I just kept using the unstamped papers, as the proper ones were in Oz.

Back
Top Bottom