Horror story -- Importing a used foreign motorcycle in Thailand - frame cut in half

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
With the new rules in place, banning imports of used motorcycles into Thailand, be very careful if you were planning to bring a used motorcycle into Thailand in parts.

We're told in the last few weeks, someone tried to bring a used motorcycle into Thailand broken down into parts (engine and wheels off the bike) that were in the same shipment or box. When he went down to collect the bike in parts, he found that Thai Customs had cut the frame in half with a gas torch.

Don't ship a USED bike in one shipment, broken down into parts into Thailand.

Frame cut in half? That'll buff out won't it?

It will be very interessting, when in the future "used" Formula 1 cars come in 1 container and the customs cut them into pieces. Shit law!

It will be very interessting, when in the future "used" Formula 1 cars come in 1 container and the customs cut them into pieces. Shit law!

Race cars and support come in on the ata carnet system, unlike the cpd carnet which Thailand is not a signatory to.

I was under the impression that second hand frames are banned according to the new rules. Motors and other parts are still ok to import but not used frames.

Yeah I was also told second hand frames can no longer legally be brought in.. not only broken down and shipped in bits, but frames were simply 'no'..

The frame of course being the key item that then is tied to any registration option down the rd.. Effectively it's stopping grey import parts bikes attaining registration later.

Now how well that's adminned, how firm it is, how much money it takes to backdate that ?? Unsure.. But that's the line I was given.

Back
Top Bottom