Horizons Unlimited Meeting tonight (some of the bikes)

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
A large and enthusiastic group of domestic and international riders turned up at Riders Corner tonight; about 60 people from many countries, on many different types of bikes and with some amazing stories to share.

The presentations were superb and the food and service, as usual, excellent.

Here's what was parked outside before sun set.

DSC06702.jpg

DSC06703.jpg

DSC06704.jpgDSC06712.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06706.jpg
    DSC06706.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC06707.jpg
    DSC06707.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 309
DSC06713.jpg

DSC06716.jpg

DSC06717.jpg

DSC06719.jpg

(These few pics have taken 45 minutes of my time! There has to be a better way.)

DSC06722.jpg

Brilliant idea.
2 'Jerry' cans split and widened, top cut and hinged and lockable.
Cheap and tough.

DSC06723.jpg

DSC06725.jpg

MC Al and Greg checking the program.

DSC06729.jpg

An immaculate Africa Twin.

DSC06731.jpg

DSC06733.jpg

Fabulous sticker on another immaculate AT.

DSC06734.jpg

DSC06735.jpg

DSC06736.jpg

DSC06739.jpg

DSC06741.jpg

Great bikes. Great people.

Joerg and Heike gave a presentation about their recent ride in Myanmar that simply makes one want to go there.

Heike and Filippo's presentation of their ride from Germany to Delhi (and tomorrow to Thailand) was also superb.

A terrific night; looking forward to tomorrow.

If you include the people standing at the entrance, I think we counted 100 Ron, a new record.

I can believe that Phil; I stayed indoors and didn't see the 'spill-over'.

Fantaaaastic Phil, Thank you very many

Looking forward the report how did those guys who made in to burma and drove through, did they came to TH via what border crossing?

Marco: I'm afraid that (driving through - ie from Bangladesh/India to Thailand) is still not possible. They shipped over Myanmar, then went in from Thailand through Mae Sot for a loop with pre-arranged permits and some police support. That's the current reality, but it's a promising sign nonetheless.

Phil and Ron: Great photos, thanks for easing the pain by sharing these photos! :)

Kodiak

It's possible as i been routing already and talking my RTW in HU since 2008 (member in HU 4 years 19 weeks) as i was planning to get RTW on 2010 already but thing's changed and it's on the menu now and i have route already planned, it's just a time and rest of the cash on waiting list.
2010 RTW with K1200LT - The HUBB
That is NOT up dated, but when all where started already, and at this point my "Flying Brick" is under re construction so have to wait all parts as it's been standing still in my garage more than year...

but all comes, when the time is right

3 of the 5 rider's that were the first to take their own bikes into Myanmar legally

"At the Horizons Unlimited Meeting yesterday in Chiang Mai. Our presentations went very well... and it was really nice meeting so many fellow motorcycle travellers there. Looking forward to the presentations this afternoon.... — with Heike Fania and Joerg Waldmann at Rider's Corner.Tags: 2 Live the Dream - Heike & Filippo"

169661_498813803494580_1917494768_o.jpg

Sorry for going way OT here, just a few things...

It's possible as i been routing already and talking my RTW in HU since 2008 (member in HU 4 years 19 weeks) as i was planning to get RTW on 2010 already

I've been on the HUBB as well for quite some time (4 years, different username), but that doesn't make riding through Myanmar possible unfortunately. I'm pretty keen on getting in there but last March it was still a definite no even to just do a loop entering through Mea Sot and I don't know about anyone (apart from organised "expeditions" by BMW and Land Rover) that managed to get through.

There were a few people who did manage to ride in Myanmar - like Greg Frazier's attempt on a local bike and definitely a few from Thailand in the border regions but only recently in the way reported. A welcome change, but it's still a far cry from being a reliable route. My friend was also bounced back from the Bangladesh border just a month ago.

I would still count on having to ship/fly if I was planning to continue my RTW trip (I got "stuck" on this side of Myanmar after a year and quite happy with it :D).

Marco - their entry into and riding through Myanmar is documented in the below link:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...kes-myanmar-parliament-naypyidaw-capital.html

Yes Phil i read it just now, but i was hoping when i read lines that some one has been in myanmar with foreign bikes, i was hoping that some one from HU lad's,, as it as talked maybe related with Advert and Sukie...but at least bikes are allowed in there and will keep on hoping that maybe with in next 50yrs they will open borders for bikes, but lets wait and see even those SG lads maybe manage go in there and like Auke mentioned just bit over 200usd per day, it's not expensive if it's include all except fuel and food....

Night two of the Horizons Unlimited meeting at Riders Corner.

Another big crowd, mostly carnivores, to enjoy the BBQ; after 'Jungle Boy' had done his bit.

DSC06763.jpg

DSC06777.jpg

DSC06778.jpg

DSC06780.jpg

DSC06775.jpg

DSC06776.jpg

DSC06779.jpg

DSC06781.jpg

Then a couple of interesting presentations.

DSC06782.jpg

DSC06783.jpg

DSC06784.jpg

DSC06795.jpg

And free beer tomorrow night to enable Richard V-Strom to get us into China!

Nice photo's 2W -

Free draft Chiang tomorrow (Sunday 13th January, 2013) until it runs out, while Richard is finishing the second half of his presentation

Told you I would go over time and this was after cutting a lot out. Lol

It was just warming up too mate!
Especially loved the helmet cam bits and the Aussie dialogue.

Screen on Triumph, while waiting for the BBQ.

DSC06764.jpg

Day 2 turned into day 3 as Richards presentation was only half done and many said they wanted to see the second half of it. Around 50 people attending.

427577_10151634323928345_570122211_n.jpg

8377667070_f10f233f3a_b.jpg

8377667446_3f18d4e932_b.jpg

8376590843_9c65f9525b_b.jpg

2013-01-14_013630.jpg

8376591229_92e42811ed_b.jpg

A surprise additional presenter came forward later in the evening - Goh from Singapore, who rode the world with his partner Samantha

431333_10151634407518345_1771548499_n.jpg

741185_4218691949111_1197768408_o.jpg

8376590643_5fea700fdd_b.jpg

Off into the sunset - The guy behind the scenes that makes all this happen & has the talents to make this continually one of the most successful adventure motorcycle meetings in Asia.

740585_4218686108965_770137360_o.jpg

Thank you for the accolade and photograph in the above post.

I was merely a small spark plug in the big engine of the motorcycle adventure traveler world that made the 2013 Horizons Unlimited Chiang Mai gathering so successful.

Thanks really has to be given to the owners of the Rider's Corner Restaurant and Bar, Som and Phillip Gibbins, for letting Horizons Unlimited literally take over their restaurant for the three evenings. Behind the scenes, making this the largest and most successful motorcycle adventure traveler's meeting in Southeast Asia, was a small army of volunteers. These included the excellent cadre of speakers and presenters we had on all nights making multimedia presentations, the staff of the Rider's Corner, and those individuals whose contributions made possible free swill for the Friday Welcome Reception and spilling over into the Sunday evening unscheduled shows. Special thanks must be granted to our volunteer Master of Ceremonies, Al Trussell, who professionally stepped up and shouldered the heavy work of keeping things smoothly flowing both evenings.

We cannot overlook the support the annual gathering received from the media throughout Southeast Asia and worldwide by positively promoting the event. These outlets, including numerous Internet Forums, spread the word early and widely so serious and adventurist motorcyclists could adjust their travel plans to attend. The same thanks is extended to the local motorcycling community for their support, contributions and warm reception extended to motorcycle travelers that traveled from as far away as Ecuador, Republic of South Africa, Europe, Canada, Australia, the United States of America and even some who rode up from as far south as Singapore.

The 2014 dates of January 10 & 11 have been tentatively announced for the 2014 Horizons Unlimited gathering, again in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

In the meantime, maybe I will see some of the travelers who attended this year's meeting as they pass through the USA and may want to attend the July 12 & 13, 2013 Horizons Unlimited Campout in Grant, Colorado. We would like to extend a "Welcome" to them as well as any of the www.rideasia.net forum members, supporters and the local motorcycling communities in Southeast Asia as we spend two days riding over some of the most scenic on and off pavement roads on the planet and sharing experiences through multimedia presentations in the evenings alongside a clear and cold Rocky Mountain bubbling brook. More information on that event will soon be found on the Horizons Unlimited website www.horizonsunlimited.com

View attachment 15134

Wow... All the great guys and bikes.
I saw many riders who crossed lots of countries.... it's my Dream...

@Phil and Ron: Thanks for the photos, but you guys'd better get some better cameras. :LOL

Back
Top Bottom