Horizons Unlimited Chiang Mai meeting 2015. 9th, 10th & 11th January 2015

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Probably the most interesting annual motorcycle meet in Chiang Mai, with real adventure rider's - All are welcome, it's a fantastic event, this year with a group rideout to Nan. Details below:

11883261414_ca02b70058_b.jpg

Horizons Unlimited 2015 Mini-Meeting Schedule

Friday, January 9, 2015: WELCOME

18:00 - 19:00: "Welcome Horizons Unlimited Travellers," a sponsored reception by The Rider's Corner and friends. Free Heineken draft beer for one hour! This evening is a "Meet and Greet" opportunity for serious local motorbike riders, cyclists, overlanders, key people and HU travellers to spend time together exchanging road tales and information. Meals can be ordered off the menu.
19:00: Introduction of all attendees, "Pass the microphone," chill and swill until?

Saturday, January 10, 2015: OFFICIAL HORIZONS UNLIMITED MEETING

14:00 - 14:30: Horizons Unlimited group photo at The Rider's Corner. Professional photographer(s) will be shooting for Horizons Unlimited and magazines.
18:00 - 19:30: BBQ. The Rider's Corner Restaurant has been acclaimed as "the best BBQ in Chiang Mai" and awarded the Tripadvisor 2013 Certificate of Excellence. Reservations for the BBQ are required. Call 0870481787, 0856188914 or email to The Rider's Corner to make reservations. 200 THB per person. This is a special discounted price for attendees of the 2015 HU Mini Meeting.
19:30 - 19:45: Welcome and introduction of all attendees, "Pass the microphone" by the evening Master of Ceremonies.
19:45 - 20:30: Multimedia presentation TDA
20:30 - 21:15: Multimedia presentation TBA
21:15 - ???: Motorcycle Travellers' Questions and Answers - Travel around The Golden Triangle, Southeast Asia or 'round the world.

Sunday, January 11, 2015: RIDE OUT TO TONY's PLACE RIDER CORNER - NAN

18:00 - 20:00: Tony's World Famous BBQ. Reservations required. Call 0870481787, 0856188914 or email to the Rider's Corner.
20:00 - ???? Motorcycle chill and swill, celebrating Tony Chichester and family, their contributions to motorcycle travel and adventure.
(For a report on the 2014 Horizons Unlimited Meeting Dr. Frazier: Southeast Asia?s ADV Rally - Motorcycle USA )

Last edited:
Hi Phil
Sounds like a great event could you book me and my friend the "Doc" who would love to attend in for the 2 meals 2 X "The Rider’s Corner", 2 X Nan BBQ. if you don't mind and in return both of us will be at hand to answers question about riding in China??? I have over 4 years and nearly 100,000km and the Doc has over 12 years and loosed count of the KM travelled in China.

Thanks for your help

steve :giving:

Would you like to do a China riding presentation?

Hi Phil
Sounds like a great event could you book me and my friend the "Doc" who would love to attend in for the 2 meals 2 X "The Rider's Corner", 2 X Nan BBQ. if you don't mind and in return both of us will be at hand to answers question about riding in China??? I have over 4 years and nearly 100,000km and the Doc has over 12 years and loosed count of the KM travelled in China.

Thanks for your help

steve :giving:

I am sure we can work somethink out , the "Doc" who is a KiWI and works as a real Doctor in China would be better then me for such presentation ? with over 30 years riding China, OZ, NZ, but i need to ask him to find out if he is game .... if not then i will Phil like to help out.

Head's up for the next Horizon's Unlimited meeting in Chiang Mai

Reminder for people who want to attend the meeting at Riders Corner Chiang Mai and the ride out to Nan to Tony's place on the 11th of January 2015, you may want to book your accommodation now.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/accommodation-north-thailand/646-nan-accommodation.html

Co-ord's for Tony's place N18.77863 E100.77005

Intinarary below from Horizons Unlimited Hubb

Thailand 2015 9th Annual HU Travellers Meeting | Horizons Unlimited

Chiang Mai

January 9-11, 2015

Why Come to a Horizons Unlimited Motorcycle Travellers Meeting?

You can meet people who don't think you're crazy for wanting to ride your bike to South America or Africa or across Asia, or even around the world! Admit it, all your 'normal' friends and most of your family fears for your sanity! So, this is your opportunity to meet the people who will encourage you in that craziness, share their experiences and advice on how to do it, and maybe you'll meet them again in Mongolia or Timbuktu!

The Plan
Reservations Required / Registration form
Meeting Location - Where is it?
Accommodation
Information about the area
Local hosts, information

How you can help - put up a few posters! Please post it everywhere!
If you're heading there, check out the HUBB for the Thailand Meeting thread, who's going etc!

The Plan - All times - and everything - approximate!
biggrin.gif

Friday, January 9, 2015

18:00 – 19:00: "Welcome Horizons Unlimited Travellers," a sponsored reception by The Rider's Corner and friends. Free Heineken draft for one hour! This evening is a "Meet and Greet" opportunity for serious local motorbike riders, cyclists, overlanders, key people and HU travellers to spend time together exchanging road tales and information. Meals can be ordered off the menu.
19:00: Introduction of all attendees, "Pass the microphone," chill and swill until?
Saturday, January 10, 2015 – OFFICIAL HORIZONS UNLIMITED MINI-MEETING

14:00 – 14:30: Horizons Unlimited group photo at The Rider’s Corner. Professional photographer(s) will be shooting for Horizons Unlimited and magazines.
Lunch-at-Riders-Corner.jpg

Lunch at Riders Corner
18:00 – 19:30: BBQ. The Rider’s Corner Restaurant has been acclaimed as “the best BBQ in Chiang Mai” and awarded the Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence. Reservations for the BBQ are required. Call 0870481787, 0856188914 or email to The Rider’s Corner to make reservations. 200 THB per person. This is a special discounted price for attendees of the 2015 HU Mini-Meeting.
Sample-BBQ-at-Riders-Corner.jpg
19:30 – 19:45: Welcome and introduction of all attendees, “Pass the microphone” by the evening Master of Ceremonies, The Most Honorable Ozie Hamerman, “The California Mocy-Man With The Plan.”

19:45 – 20:30: Multimedia presentation #1 TBA

20:30 – 21:15: Multimedia presentation #2 TBA

21:15 - ???: Motorcycle Travellers’ Questions and Answers – Travel around The Golden Triangle, Southeast Asia or ‘round the world.

Sunday, January 11, 2015: RIDE OUT TO TONY'S PLACE RIDERS CORNER – NAN

Tony's Place Tonys Place Nan Thailand Nan, Thailand
18:00 – 20:00: Tony's World Famous BBQ. Reservations required. Call 0870481787, 0856188914 or email to the Rider's Corner.
20:00 - ???? Motorcycle chill and swill, celebrating Tony Chichester and family, their contributions to motorcycle travel and adventure.
2015 Speakers confirmed:

There will be a number of multi-media presentations on Saturday evening after the globally famous Rider's Corner Horizons Unlimited All-You-Can-Eat BBQ. We'll add details as they come in!
How about you? We're all here to learn, and there's LOTS to learn! We want to do more presentations and clinics - but we need volunteers to give them! Any topic you can contribute having to do with motorcycle travel, maintenance, planning etc, lasting 20 minutes or more, would be great. Please contact me here to volunteer.
Previous speakers and presentations were:

• Two Bikers One World by Anders and Petra Stridfeldt, on BMW F800GS's around the globe.
  • Caught In A Sideways Loop In Hidden Asia, or how an 8,000 kilometer planned adventure tour turned into a 40,000 kilometer lifestyle. By wandering adventurist Ian Gatenby
  • Poor Circulation, an entertaining look at extreme motorbike adventure riding. By global traveler/author Geoff Thomas.
    geoff-thomas.jpg
  • Munich to Capetown (The Harder Way Down)
    Ekke Kok and Audrey Allenspach-Kok (CA)
2012-11_Kok_great-wall-of-China.jpg

• Chris Banks, who shared his near-drowning experience in Morocco with the group. Banks and his fellow travellers lashed their motorcycles to trees when caught in a flash flood. His presentation was one of near death and survival.
  • Greg Frazier, a terrific multimedia "Sun Chasing – Four Times Around The World By Motorcycle, Four solo rides around the world, some hard, some soft - none boring."
    • "How My GPS Lost Me In Southeast Asia"
    • "No Strangers To Danger – Survival Riding In Third World Countries"
    • "Think You Are Tough?"
      1. Riding A Motorcycle To Alaska
      2. ADVENTURE MOTORCYCLE magazine's 2006 "Adventure Motorcycle Ride"
      3. The 2006 Famed "Colorado 500" Dirt Bike Ride

Latest info of itinerary at Riders Corner :

The first Saturday night, January 10, presentation has been confirmed. Presenter Serdar (Sunny) Unal, a multinational and multilingual wandered, will take attendees on a photographic expedition of his 700 day, solo motorcycle adventure from Los Angeles, California through Latin and South America to Buenos Aires, Argentina during which he faced violence, attempts at fleecing by corrupt officials and expats and daily road carnage. It was a wild adventure, one equal to any faced by well protected teams of travelers.

We have also been advised that the globally prominent adventure motorcycle outfitters, The Touratech Company, will be present."

Update:

We have received confirmation that Metal Mule, Heidenau Tires and Scottoiler to attend January, 2015 Thailand Horizons Unlimited Meeting through their Bangkok, Thailand importer.

Reminder for people who want to attend the meeting at Riders Corner Chiang Mai and the ride out to Nan to Tony's place on the 11th of January 2015, you may want to book your accommodation now.

I am in Nan .
Sundara GH where i stay right now is free on 11 Jan
5 Very nice quiet Rooms , comfortable bed , airc. fridge TV hot w. free WiFi (300mbps) 400THB Owner speak english
DSCN0930_zpsc71f2f24.jpg

parking in front of the Room

Tomorrow i need to change to another GH
Don't know the name (only Thai) but rooms look o.k. 350 THB
30 free Rooms at the moment for 11 Jan .
Can be booked via the owner May (speak english )
tel.0856051371
Big closed Parking lot for more then 50 bikes

both about 900m from Tony's

Update

Everyone is welcome to join the ride out to Nan on the 11th of January and meeting up Tony's Place, Wan is laying on a buffet for all riders @ 200 a head.

Could you PM me if you wish to join us for the buffet so i can give a heads up to Wan for numbers.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

What a great night, first night of the Chiang Mai, Horizons Unlimited, Chiang Mai meeting, 9th January, 2015. Raining in January in Chiang Mai, I would have betted heavily against it!

DSC_2312_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2336_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Touratech, Thailand are here and will be presenting tomorrow (10th January, 2015)

DSC_2338_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Pretty much a full house, even with the torrential rain

DSC_2339_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2313_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2332_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2314_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The first day, there's a meet and greet. Pass the mic. session is always interesting (they'll be a huge pass the mic. session tomorrow for the main event and BBQ)

The chap had ridden all the way from Norway

DSC_2316_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Sunny from Miami will be a presenter tomorrow

DSC_2327_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Justin from Fairbanks, Alaska

DSC_2325_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Omar, who came all the way from Egypt especially for the event

DSC_2318_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A French rider who arrived on a Africa Twin

DSC_2319_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Klaus (left)

DSC_2310_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A guy from the UK planning a big trip on a Chinese 200cc bike

DSC_2317_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Doing a big tour around Asia

DSC_2320_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

From New Mexico, USA

DSC_2323_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Rider from the UK

DSC_2329_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A few more interesting riders

DSC_2328_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2326_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2324_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2321_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2322_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Even free give-away's from Flight of the Gibbon worth 3,300 bht - The one-stop for all adrenaline junkies with a wide range of thrilling activities to keep visitors of all ages entertained all day long.

DSC_2331_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

1745 no seats left

DSC_2358_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

10923499_10153553100323345_511327962242640930_n.jpg

Som & the crew had the food ready on time for 90 people, quite an execution

DSC_2353_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Joe's Bike Team's Joe & Armin Schock

10924738_10153553103753345_9165443032305348997_n.jpg

An amazing BBQ - everyone agreed

DSC_2356_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2357_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Greg from Canada made a surprise appearance - he's done a lot of interesting touring

DSC_2362_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The rowdy bunch that are coming to Nan tomorrow

DSC_2360_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2359_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2351_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The Chiang Mai rowdy bunch

DSC_2350_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Beautiful Heineken girl

DSC_2349_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Lots of new friends with common interests

DSC_2348_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Justin (left), one of SE Asia's legends, great to catch up on his Laos trip - such stories

DSC_2345_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Reed (left) - The most experienced motorcycle tour guide in SE Asia (19 years)

DSC_2344_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A few more pictures

DSC_2343_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Kathy from the Philippines - she's been to many places in north Thailand

DSC_2341_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

We're all completely knackered from cleaning up after this bunch

DSC_2340_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A superb evening with every chair taken. Great presentations from Sunny & from Steve regarding riding in China.

11th January, 2015's, HU group ride to Nan was a huge success, many wouldn't have known the great roads there unless they'd come along

IMG_0783_edited.jpg

Quick stop at the hot springs on R 118
'

IMG_0786_edited.jpg

IMG_0787_edited.jpg

By this time we'd lost Omar, time to re group

IMG_0789_edited.jpg

Buffet roast dinner was fantastic, will post photo's with better wifi

Back
Top Bottom