Honda CB500X (a couple of days in the saddle)

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
Believing in 'try before buy', I hired a 500X from Khun Lan at C&P Rentals near Thapae Gate (053273161) for a couple of days
to really see what it's like.

The bike was delivered that morning and had 31 kms on it.

Just for reference, I am just over 6 feet tall, heavy and own a CRF.

First Impressions. (19th April)

The seat is low (31.9 inches), so vertically challenged riders will find the 500X to their liking so far.
Taller folk will have some issues.

Easy formalities over with I rode around the Chiang Mai moat to test the bike's manoeuvrability in our dense traffic. No worries there.

The gear selector was way too low to accommodate a riding boot, so that was the first adjustment a bit later during the ride.

The turn indicators are not self-cancelling.

The 500X does not have a centre stand, although it is a Honda accessory.

DSC07705.jpg

But by far the most significant first impression is the silky smooth engine and its marriage to the 6 speed gear box.
(And that impression would be reinforced during the next two days). 471cc parallel twin with 4 valves per cylinder.

Out along the wretched Hang Dong road, which was jammed because a Honda Civic and a truck each decided to occupy the same bit of road.
The truck won. So this gave me a chance to weave in and around all the traffic that had accumulated for a kilometre to the accident scene.
Yes, easy peasy.

The next major impression was how this bike instils confidence right from the word go. Smooth and easy to ride.

I was already noting that the seat was beginning to feel firm!
More on that later, as I thought it would soften throughout the journey.

I filled the tank at 48 kms (91 Gasohol) then opened it up a bit heading out to Hot. My intention was to ride the Doi Inthanon route to Khun Yuam,
where I'd stay the night. The tank holds 17 litres, with a 2.6 litre reserve.

Wind noise from the inadequate screen at 90kph was intrusive. The screen was at its maximum height yet directed the blast right at my head
and it was too far down for me to crouch behind the screen. Khun Lan now tells me that after-market screens are already available.
But that was the first significant negative; easily remedied.

The road to Inthanon is where the 500X came into its own and truly impressed.
Keeping in mind that this is a tight, new engine I found that the smooth delivery of power made riding in those mountains an absolute joy.
What else impressed was the way the bike 'held on' in 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gears, without the need for down-changing.
This is not only a smooth and quiet engine but also an extremely tractable one.
It would pull away in 6th at 50kph without any 'hiccups'.

At 90kph the engine was spinning at 4,100 rpm.

OK, past the friendly uniformed men and onto the road to Khun Yuam.

DSC07702.jpg

DSC07704.jpg

The riders' view.

DSC07703.jpg

Foot-pegs are vibration absorbent.

DSC07711.jpg

Not far into this mountainous stretch and smiling to myself and saying "Life is good", I turned into a sharp curve to discover the road was blocked by a scooter,
rider and pillion who had slid off an oil slick. Yes, the 500X has ABS and very good brakes (even though they hadn't yet 'bedded in' properly).
The fallen couple assured me they were OK so we went our own ways.
Front brakes are twin piston discs and the bike rides on 17 inch wheels.
Mine was shod with Pirelli Scorpion Trail tyres, which never felt 'nervous' on any surface.

DSC07707-1.jpg

DSC07709.jpg

This road is now badly pot-holed and rough in many places. (Obviously VIPs never travel this way.)
But it was a chance to test the suspension and tyres in the rough going.
The ground clearance was tested a few times and nothing scraped.
Its front suspension has 5.5 inches of travel and the rear Pro-link single shock has 9 settings to play around with.
This one was on 4.

DSC07718.jpg

DSC07717.jpg

The 500X has a solid and stable 'feel' on the road and I discovered that it wasn't phased by rough road conditions.
Many times I hit holes in the middle of a curve yet the bike was not upset, so neither was I.
To my surprise it also handled the dirt sections quite capably, so maybe it will handle the conditions in mainstream Laos.

DSC07713.jpg

DSC07716.jpg

DSC07719.jpg

The bike weighs 195 kgs ready for touring with a full tank.
The front forks have 26.5 degrees rake.

Would I ride it in Laos?
Yes!

We arrived in Khun Yuam just before sunset and I checked into the 'Ban Farang Guest House'
I wont give the co-ordinates because I can't recommend this place.
500 baht for a small room with a squeaky bed, crap Thai only TV and a recently added on-site KARAOKE LOUNGE!!!!!
But the room had a shower and that's really all I needed.
However, the room was worth only about 250-300 baht. There are other options in KY.

DSC07720.jpg

There's actually 2 rooms here at 500 baht each, separated by a thin wall!

DSC07724.jpg

So 'couthed up' we 'hit the town' then, later, did a bit of night riding.

DSC07735.jpg

DSC07727.jpg

DSC07732.jpg

The headlight on high beam was adequate without being wonderful (I have poor vision).
The instrument panel lighting is adequate without being interesting.

DSC07737.jpg

This was good day in the saddle and feeling impressed with the 500X so far.
Oh, the saddle 'grew on me', or I grew on it.
It's wide enough and has plenty of room for those minor enroute adjustments.

Can't wait for tomorrow; Mae Hong Son, Pai and back to Chiang Mai.

Tomorrow 20th April

No sleep; they also have dogs!
Awoke to the smell of smoke. That's always alarming.
Turned out there are massive fires and appalling smoke pollution in the Khun Yuam and Mae Hong Son area.
As I write this I have a splitting head-ache and bleary eyes from the damn smoke.
This area is really best avoided for a while.

DSC07738.jpg

DSC07740.jpg

Filled up the tank before departure.
The bike and I had covered a very pleasant 234 kms from Hang Dong Road and it took 8.09 litres to fill.
That's very close to 30 kms/litre and, remember, the ride was through mountains and the engine is still tight.

That should give a comfortable touring range of around 500 kms at moderate speeds.
It will be interesting to confirm this fuel economy with others who are touring on a 500X.
Seems very good to me!

I was taking it easy but absolutely nothing passed me from Khun Yuam to the Mae Rim road!
Yet I passed many.
That says more about the bike's capability than it does mine.
I hit 112 kph but backed off because the wind buffeting from the screen was too much and my back-pack was being lifted.

It was a smokey, incident-free and very curvaceous ride back to Khun Lan's shop, with the 500X showing 599 kms on the dial.

We checked under the seat for storage space.
Well, a rider could put some gloves and/or a plastic rain coat there but that's about all.

DSC07742.jpg

Khun Lan told me that, according to some Thai sites, the 500X will soon be available in red! (there ya go Colin!)

My verdict.

Brilliant engine.
Comfortable.
Competent on all surfaces it encountered.
Economical.
Inexpensive and cheap, obtainable parts.
Excellent touring bike.

Would I buy one?
YES!

Wonder what Phil G says.

Last edited:
A man's gotta be patient.
Can't add more pics yet "Wi Fi looking for networks".
Must be the smoke!

From what both you and Phil have said about the bike it sounds like Honda have really got a winner there

This looks like a NC700 from top to toe....

honda_nc700x_2012_01.jpg

I 've never riddend anyone of those, but may you have some comparison with a Versys?

I have rode the NC700 X in the UK and will try the CB 500 X when I go back

My wife went to look at one to but the F version as it has the lowest seat ,, she really wants a bike with more power than her rebel 250 ,,, unfortunately its too tall for her as usual by about 10cm .....Mityon say it could be lowered 50mm but thats no good ...

Good write up Ron, thanks for taking the time to compile the details.

Ally

Pleasure Ally.
I enjoy being a 'test rider'!

Actually, way back when I was about to leave school my dream job (as it was for many others) was to become a motor journalist for a car magazine in Oz.
Studied Mechanics and did a journalism course and wrote to many motor journalists and all of the magazines.
Not one of them ever replied!

And, to be honest, I had those memories in mind when compiling my humble little report re the new 500X.
So if 'RideAsia' feels inclined to commission me for further 'test rides' .......... :RE
Remuneration with Riders Corner John Dory will be gratefully accepted.

Another rider's views (AdventureRider)

"Not a bad little jigger!
I'm currently riding a CB500X in Nth Thailand and i'm pretty impressed. They go alright for a 500, went on some dirt roads and through a couple of creeks today and it handled everything in its stride. Its been quite comfortable (i'm 6ft tall) and i put 10lts of fuel in today at the 275km mark, not sure what the tank holds. I'm not about to trade the Triumph XC800 in on one but after 2 days in the saddle would recommend the bike for light adv/touring."

This looks like a NC700 from top to toe....

honda_nc700x_2012_01.jpg

I 've never riddend anyone of those, but may you have some comparison with a Versys?

Howdy from Houston and Two Wheeled Texans, VietHorse! When I saw your Avatar, I had to join and say Hi. You ARE a world traveler! I've enjoyed your ride reports from Tennessee to Viet Nam.

This is the bike that I want to get. The write up was just what I was looking for! Thanks to the OP.

Howdy from Houston and Two Wheeled Texans, VietHorse! When I saw your Avatar, I had to join and say Hi. You ARE a world traveler! I've enjoyed your ride reports from Tennessee to Viet Nam.

This is the bike that I want to get. The write up was just what I was looking for! Thanks to the OP.
Howdy Rob,
Great to see friends all around. Just jealous that you guys can enjoy the last MotoGP in Austin and which I haven't got a chance to watch on the TV even the replay.
I don't know whether you had ridden in SE Asia or not, but RideAsia is good site for you to explore more about riding in this area. That definitely is really nice experience riding in another side of the world.
I haven't seen one of this bike in person, but seen the NC700X once - and I believe there are at least two of them now in Vietnam.

When I move to Thailand next year one of the first things I'll do is buy a 500X. Such good value. Do they do matte black in Thailand? Great write up. Thanks.

Hi 'Algarve Nick', I'll be visiting Honda Big Wing tomorrow, so I'll check about the 500X colour options and advise.
Yes, an excellent bike.

Another thing I'll check for you is what waiting time there is for the 500X.
I suspect it varies according to the chosen colour.

You could also ask whether they check the valve clearances at the 1,000 km service, if you would. Thanks for being so helpful.

Thanks Jerry.

OK, I was at Big Wing today and let's start with the 500X.

I saw this excellent sample waiting to be collected by its 'Farang' owner.

DSC01381.jpg

The best made side boxes I have ever seen were on it.
Apparently the owner bought the various pieces from (as yet) an unknown source and put them together himself.
Total price, including brackets, 25,000 baht.
The guys at BW could easily connect us with the owner.

DSC01389.jpg

He had a taller screen (4,000 bt), 'bark busters', special mirrors and other added features to make this a very good local touring bike.
Hmmm. :hmm

DSC01388.jpg

And for Algarve Nick etc;

They have the 500X in red.

DSC01390.jpg

The white one as seen above and black.
But there weren't any black ones in the shop.

The Manager, Khun Ek, told me that there is a 'one month' wait after ordering one (either colour).

And he confirmed that the valve clearances are done now at the 6,000 km service; not at the 1,000 km service.

Now the CRB650F news for another thread.

Last edited:
2wheels, thanks so much. Those boxes look nice but I would argue the best built ones you can get are from Metal Mule in England. Now, they are expensive but a top box has always tempted me with my Buell Ulysses (I live in Portugal all year at the moment). Metal Mule don't do the frames to take either the side cases or the box for the 500X but the other day I emailed them and asked them whether they had plans for this bike. They replied saying they have been asked this question by so many people and added that they were going to produce them in 2014 in Spring. I wouldn't want the side cases as they make a really nimble bike way too wide but I will be buying a top box, which I will be bringing with me as hand luggage when I move (going to do 6 months in CM and 6 in Lagos, Portugal. Nice to avoid the steamy season in CM). For people in CM Metal Mule would courier over but it costs 40 GBP to get them delivered to Portugal from UK so I wouldn't like to say what it would cost for Thailand and they are very expensive in the first place. However, I can justify the price of the top box by arguing that I could use it on the Buell as well. Luggage Systems | Metal Mule

And he confirmed that the valve clearances are done now at the 6,000 km service; not at the 1,000 km service.
Different service intervals here to the UK then, over there its 1000 km, 12000 km, 24000 km, the valve clearance was done on mine at 1000 km and doesnt need doing again until 24000 km

I think it should be done at 1,000K as well. I may stipulate it. It's the same bike as it's always been. The service intervals must be the same everywhere.

I think it should be done at 1,000K as well. I may stipulate it. It's the same bike as it's always been. The service intervals must be the same everywhere.

They mostly are but I've noticed different mileages for checking/replacing the air filter; Asia seems to be more dirty! :)

I test-rode the X and the F at Phuket Big Wing but only was allowed a few rounds on their parking lot.

I preferred the F; it felt lighter, nimbler whereas the X felt a bit more difficult to handle.

I'm sure that's because I only did 1st and 2nd gear and lots of turns. On the hiway the X is surely better.

I lifted the front end a bit on the F even though I didn't intended to; the bike felt natural and familiar I'd love to have one!

I have the F model Klaus and I think its a great bike

Both the F and X are good bikes.
Colin, I'm wondering what you would have chosen for Thailand.

If " Ban Farang Gueust house " is so bad and not worth the money , one wonders why you graced it with your presence .
I have stayed there several times and found it more than acceptable .

We arrived in Khun Yuam just before sunset and I checked into the 'Ban Farang Guest House'
I wont give the co-ordinates because I can't recommend this place.
500 baht for a small room with a squeaky bed, crap Thai only TV and a recently added on-site KARAOKE LOUNGE!!!!!
But the room had a shower and that's really all I needed.
However, the room was worth only about 250-300 baht. There are other options in KY.

jkrfjessjess, I write about things as I find them.
And you've just repeated what I wrote!

But this thread is about the bike more than anything else.

jkrfjessjess, I write about things as I find them.
And you've just repeated what I wrote!

But this thread is about the bike more than anything else.

Agreed it is SUPPOSED to be about a bike . However seems strange that a highly experienced and credible motorcyclist like your self would stay in a sub standard accommodation knowing full well of other options in KY . Or is there a bit of leg humping here :hmm

Any way always a delight to read your reports :ride:

If I'd buy a 500 here it would be for traveling so I'd take the 500X. I wouldn't go to work or ride around town to do shopping on a 500 so the 500F wouldn't make much sense.

But since I only have time to travel in April and October the X would sit in the garage most of the time - not worth the investment!

I'm glad I got the 250M which is a fun around town bike and also good for puttering around the countryside to relax and 100 km Sunday trips going 100 to 120km/h, it feels really happy at 110 and I don't need more speed than that. I love how that bike ignores potholes, bumps and uneven surfaces even at high speeds! 43mm front forks with much travel.

If Honda ever decides to put that smooth 500 twin into a super moto frame I'd get one! But it'd be 40kg heavier...

Both the F and X are good bikes.
Colin, I'm wondering what you would have chosen for Thailand.

I am happy with the KLX here Ron and have no interest in a bigger road bike now, I was surprised at how comfortable the KLX was when I toured two up for the last two days

A 250 is probably easily big enough for Thailand. In the early 90s I lived in Tokyo for over three years and did a spot of touring two-up (lightweight, small bottomed girlfriend) on a Suzuki DR250SH, a superb little bike. Not so different to the Kawa 250 but a lot quicker.

Back
Top Bottom