Fuel injected Kawasaki KLR 650 rumored to be released in Thailand?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I have had 2 people (that don't know each other) mention that a fuel injected Kawasaki KLR 650 is to be released in Thailand maybe by the end of the year, anyone know some definitive facts about this? If so & priced similarly to a Versys, this would be fantastic news.

It would be a sensible and very significant development, although some would say the KLR is just a lumbering, out of date old barge. (not me!)

Back in April 2010 I sent this email to Khun Tidavan, Director of Retail Sales at Kawasaki Thailand;

"At risk of being accused of 'harping on' about this bike, I want to ask a technical question.

Kawasaki management tell us that their locally put together KLR650 is not sold in Thailand
because it can't pass the strict Thai emission laws. Presumably this is because it uses a
carburettor rather than fuel injection (?).

We know that Kawasaki have other models available in Thailand which use fuel injection.
Question; is it such a difficult task for them to adapt one of their own fuel injection systems for use
on their KLR650? Would this produce a 'cleaner' bike?
Or are there really other reasons why the KLR is not available in Thailand?

I'm no technician or marketing expert, but it seems to me that if Kawa really wanted to make
this bike suitable for Thailand they have an easy way of doing so. There sure are many
potential buyers out there."

I'll check elsewhere for a reply she may have sent.
May be time to contact Khun T again?

tidavan@kawasaki.co.th

This was her response in October 2010; hopefully they've had a change of attitude;

'I keep asking and here is the most definite response I have received from Kawasaki re their KLR650.
Email from them today.

"There is no plan to develope (sic) KLR650 for Thai market."

Best regards,

A.Tidavan
Marketing Planning Sect.
Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co.,Ltd. "

Another dream quashed :confused:

Not necessarily Bob.
Khun T's reply was way back in late 2010 and, as we all know, things change and sometimes even respond to demand!

Back
Top Bottom