klx 250 derestricted fuel issues

marcusb

Bikes
ER6N, ninja 250 klx 250 ritchey olmo santa cr
Ok, I'll start with my disclaimer, I know very little about motorcycles. :)

After having issues with the FI light a year or more ago my local dealer fixed the problem, a frayed wire. Before he discovered that I remember him taking a small black plastic tube out of the bike and blowing it out with the compressor, it kind of looked like a short, fat pen. No idea what it is.
After that my fuel consumption went up quite a bit, usually only getting 120k before the fuel light came on, previously it was around 145k.

Presently the bike seems to run too lean at low RPM, it will stall if you quickly back off the gas decelerating. It also seems to run too rich (guess) at cruising speeds and normal driving. My clothes smell like burnt fuel after riding for awhile.

Also at the same time I had the muffler repacked to quiet it down a bit. Maybe with extra back pressure it needs to be set up differently???

I asked Kawa CM to check it out on my last big service but they must have forgot or couldn't do it. (they did do a great job of everything else though)
I think Mr Sneds is the man for this but I have lost contact details for him.

sooooo what should I do?? I don't think anyone in Nan can fix it so I will probably be taking it to CM.

thanks
marcus

See if Lan at CP Hire can take a look . He had these things as rentals in the past and has probably seen most of the gremlins .

Hi

I don,t know the KLX or any other Kawa but your short fat Pen sound to me like the Fuel Injektor .

And blowing Air in to the Fuel injektor maybe help or maybe it damage the Injektor .
It depends on the Pressure of the Compressor .

In any case to get the Fuel injektor clean you need to operate it out of the Bike during
the Injektor is in a ultrasonic Bad with proper cleaning solution .

That require a Test Bord that takt the Injektor freqently and the Ultrasonic Bad (heatable if possible) with cleaning solution for fuel injectors .

I don't think that anybody in Nan has the correct equipment , CM Maybe .

I guess you have Dirt in the Fuel Injector that prevent the Valve to close correct , i.e. leaking and that make your Bike running rich .

How is it starting cold , after lets say 24 Hours parking .
and dit it start exactly the same way if you run the cold engine for 10 sec. switch it off and start again 30 sec. later ?

If your Fuel Injector is in fact leaking then the Fuel run during the long time Parking in to the Trottle Body depend the Fuel Hose
stay normaly under pressure if you switch the engine of .If that leak is big enough so Fuel is dripping in to the Trottle Body that will
make it harder to start at first depend the mix is much to rich .

If you can not get it fixed , buy a new one . Don't know Kawa prices but the one for the CRF cost 1700 THB

Thanks, I figured that was the injector but wasn't sure.
It starts well, cold or hot, not instantly but usually about 4 or 5 seconds. Same if I leave it for a week.

Back
Top Bottom