Rear aux. fuel tank test on a Kawasaki KLX 150

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The KLX 150 BF (18" + 21" wheels) with a 220cc big bore modification, is a fantastic, legal bike in Thailand. There arn't many legal choices that are light, with a modified exhaust this bike weighs only 112KG.

The Thai guys have discovered this and have boughts loads of them especially with a list price of only 87,000 Bht.

With a 220cc big bore kit, your fuel economy goes down to 24 km/ liter, less if ridden hard off road. The tank is only 5.68 liters, say 1.8 liters is reserve, so you're hitting reserve at around 100km range, when exploring/ scouting into the unknown, that's not ideal. A Honda CRF 250 L, 180km offroad is easily doable by comparison.

A European, quality made, 5-6 liter auxiliary rear fuel tank came up for sale cheap so was worth testing on the KLX 150.

It was fitted to the bike without any modifications to the bike, so can be removed easily.

Kaw by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Custom bracket enabling existing holes in the subframe to be used

Kawa by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

With the rear fuel tank lower than the bike tank, a fuel valve is needed to stop the fuel equalizing when full and overflowing the rear tank.

Kawa by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A slight trim on the rear plastic and it all went back together.

Now hopefully 280km range.

Kaw by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Hi Phil
Just from seeing the Pic's i would say that your mechanik use the here in thailand widespread available oil hose from a local Hardware shop .
To my knowledge this hose is not ethanol fuel resistend and decompose itself over the time what will block the jets in your Carb .
Better you check this with him and make shure that the Hoses are ethanol suitable hoses or maybe after you open the ballclock valve the engine is off , fuel or not .

Friend of me has done the same .
IMG_0125_zpsbw1vdtdo.jpg

2 x 5 L Aux tank connect via a vakoum driven Mikuni fuel pump.

Just a quick question Phil, how heavy are you ? I am really interested in the Kawasaki at that weight, I'm 80kgs

Back
Top Bottom