Foreign vans banned from Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
We have been told verbally today by DLT Thailand, that they will no longer issue Thai entry permits for "vans". How they seem to define this is the standard specs. of the vehicle cannot have more than 7 seats as one of the tests. How this will affect permit applications currently into DLT we don't know yet.

which mainly enter via Laos, originating from China....I would guess ?

Yes prior to late June, not relevant anymore since very few enter these days under the new system. My interpretation of a "van" is not a motorhome or campervan like Chinese motorists were driving to Thailand in increasing numbers until these types of vehicles were effectively banned under the new permit system, but rather a van is a 9-12 seater vehicle with one door opening on the passenger side for the rear passengers, for example a Toyota Hiace.

I recently became aware that vans are also not allowed to enter Laos without a permit (they are not covered under the existing Thai-Lao or Lao-Vietnam cross-border transport agreements) so with this ruling, Thailand largely brings itself into line with neighboring countries. Similarly, Malaysia has had issues with Thai minivans crossing it's border and banned them or restricted them from driving more than a short distance inside that country. Therefore, this ruling should not be surprising given similar Lao and Malaysian rules.

On February 13th I spotted a French registered truck/campervan in Myawady, Myanmar heading west meaning it just entered the country. It's almost certain that it came in from Thailand. However, that leads me to ask: is the DLT actually issuing permits for such vehicles because how else can you explain the presence of this type of vehicle near the Thai border (unless it was turned back and prevented from entering Thailand)? I know the DLT law allows for exemptions to the types of vehicles allowed in, but based on Phil's OP from December, the DLT is no longer issuing permits for these types of vehicles. Perhaps these people were issued with their permits many months ago and were allowed in on that basis?

This truck may have less than 7 seats though it looks similar enough to a motorhome to not be eligible for a permit (as far as I understand it).

On February 13th I spotted a French registered truck/campervan in Myawady, Myanmar heading west meaning it just entered the country. It's almost certain that it came in from Thailand. However, that leads me to ask: is the DLT actually issuing permits for such vehicles because how else can you explain the presence of this type of vehicle near the Thai border (unless it was turned back and prevented from entering Thailand)? I know the DLT law allows for exemptions to the types of vehicles allowed in, but based on Phil's OP from December, the DLT is no longer issuing permits for these types of vehicles. Perhaps these people were issued with their permits many months ago and were allowed in on that basis?

This truck may have less than 7 seats though it looks similar enough to a motorhome to not be eligible for a permit (as far as I understand it).

There was a special exception for family with children recently for a quick transit.

Back
Top Bottom