FLYING THE HUMP

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
With a big thank you to Mac who sent this information about "Flying the Hump" The plane landed yesterday at Chiangmai Airport and continued its flight yesterday afternoon to Mandalay in Myanmar. For those interested in this, you can follow them here: Flying the Hump

Capture.JPG

FLYING THE HUMP

During World War II, 600 Allied Aircraft were lost crossing the Himalayas to supply the Flying Tigers in China. Japan controlled the entire coast of China, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and then Burma. With the loss of the Burma Road, "Flying the Hump" was the only option to re-supply the forces fighting the Japanese from within China. This was one of the most dangerous flying routes at the time. The DC-3 and C47 aircraft were the primary aircraft tasked with this operation.

picHumpC47nose.jpg

In August 2016, a C47 will depart from Australia and fly through Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar and "across the hump" to Kunming, then on to Guilin, China. The final resting place for this historic aircraft is to be the main exhibition display at the Flying Tiger Heritage Park and Museum in Guilin, China. This museum chronicles the critical contribution made by the Flying Tigers and the pilots who flew the hump to supply the Tigers during World War II. The timing of this flight is most critical, because at this moment, the United States, in cooperation with the Government of Myanmar, is currently conducting a MIA search and rescue mission for the remains of the 600 aircraft and 740 American crew members and other nationalities lost during this hazardous mission (see: United-states-seeks-assistance-in-recovering-mia-remains.

The Flight is being conducted to honor those men who served to bring victory and peace, and to the friendships between nations today that are charged with keeping the peace.

They had an interesting experience early on with their flight. After departing Bali had an engine fire over water, shut that one down, fire out, landed at Surabaya. Stayed there for several weeks while hunting up a replacement engine, which ain't cheap! Finally found one, flew it up, got it installed, and on to Singapore then Uttapao, brief stop at Chiang Mai and now Mandalay. Timing is critical as the plane's air worthiness certificated expires end of October!

Mac

Thanks (again) Lone Rider.
This time for posting this subject and the "Flying the Hump" and MIA links.
It may be of interest: -
1) The DC-3/R1830 was the aircraft/engine on which I "cut my teeth" as an aircraft engineering apprentice. I remember working in the Engine Overhaul Shop at National Airways Corporation, Christchurch, New Zealand in 1959 where we overhauled the R1830. Of note: The engines we overhauled had the gearing for the "second" stage of supercharger speed removed. The second speed was originaly incorporated specifically for the high altitude operations "Over the Hump".
2) The DC-3, R1830 and Rolls Royce Dart Turboprop were "first of type" on my Engineers Licence when I "graduated".
3) Between 1995 and 2004 I worked for Helicopters New Zealand, the "parent" of Lao West Coast Helicopters based in Vientiane. As Engineering and Quality Manager I visited Vientiane at least once/year for routine audits. Lao West Coast were contracted at that time to support MIA operations in Laos and occasionally in Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar.
Hence my interest in this post and the links you have provided.
Regards,
Ah Boon/Vic

Hi Vic / Ah Boon,

Some time ago we (me and a few friends) visited the Air Force Museum in Chiangmai - something which might be of interest to you. Pictures are here: The-Air-Force-Museum-Chiang-Mai
Thanks Lone Rider.
In 2007 I hired a taxi and saw the C47 from outside the fence. At that time I was unaware that the Museum existed.
Maybe next year?
Cheers....

Go to the url for the rest of the FLYING THE HUMP story, they made it, but with some struggles. Also, photos at the url.

Mac

http://www.flyingthehump.com/

FLYING THE HUMP15 August - until we reach Guilin 2016Commemorative Flight from Australia through Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar across the Himalayas to China

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil General Discussion 0
A General Discussion 10
Back
Top Bottom