Export Permit + Tax Stamps in CM

MajorTom

Bikes
KTM 690 E, Ducati HM 821
Hi!

Anyone know where exactly in Chiang Mai you can get the paper, and the required tax stamps, for exporting a bike not in your name?

Anywhere i can go to have them filled in? or just bring them blank to the border?

Btw. I noticed there are downloadable forms on this forum. I dont know if its my computers or a forum bug, but i only see the translated version. The original is missing?

Thanks,

You mean temp exporting or permanent export ??

For temp I have just rocked up at the border. Letter of permission from the owner and a signed ID card copy.

Unsure on tax stamps ??

Temporary export. If its possible, i just want to prepare the paperwork before i go. I had hassle with this in the past. Not easy to get hold of these stamps at the border..

Looking closer, this permit form is actually just a letter of attorney. Found 2 different versions of it, but i guess they will do the same job.

What stamps ??

I have never had to get special stamps on any of my border crossings car or bike.. Tho its been a year plus since I took a Thai regged bike out.

OK, we had some problems with the forum and some of the things disappeared. You can find all the border forms and the sample "Letter of Authorization" here where you can download them. You can use the sample form in Thai to see where/what needs to be filled in

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/red-tape-border-crossing-requirements/97-thailand-border-blank-crossing-documents-tm2-tm3-tm4.html

The stamps are Tax stamps and can be bought at Government Tax offices or the customes people may have then at the border crosings- they don't have them at the post office

What stamps ??

I have never had to get special stamps on any of my border crossings car or bike.. Tho its been a year plus since I took a Thai regged bike out.

They are small stickers you put on the permission document. Looks like postal stamps. I was nearly stuck last year because i missed these. (depends on the border, or who you meet i guess. This was in Trat.) Managed to buy some from immigration after a while, but i think that was just luck. Thats not where youre supposed to get them.

I have never had any stamps and have crossed loads of times with cars and bikes.. Laos Cambo Malay (never did my legal export at Malay)..

Is this new, or whats the deal.. What amount ?? What for ?? Where do they go etc ??

Lastly as this is probably a good thread, do you still need that letter from the DMV, to replace the 'car passport' ITP book, that Laos were asking for last year ?? I remember it was asked for a while, but not heard any further. I was at the Laos border last week (cambo reg tho) and was going to need to take my car (and trailer) out with the bike, he said nothing whatsoever at all about issues for car or trailer which both had books but nothing else) when he thought I was leaving, ultimately I manage to 'not go' and just redo my Cambo temp import.

I have read reports about people crossing into Laos AFTER this ITP letter talk, and it was not mentioned at all.
Maybe it was a false alarm. I will test in a couple of weeks..

And just to be clear: The Tax stamps im talking about is only needed when you export a bike not in your own name. If you ride your own bike/car, you would never have this issue.
They are only like 20 or 30B. The problem is where to buy them.

OK totally new to me.. And my Blade is in the missus name so would need to consider that..

I took a Bike through Sadao that wasnt my name, but I ignored the whole export system and just rode out and in.

It's not new at all. Phil sorted these for me (He had spares at that time) when we went to Laos in 2011 on the BMW, that wasn't in my name.

Erik, let me see if I can figure out where this office is and I'll get some for you so it's ready when you arrive here.

Erik, let me see if I can figure out where this office is and I'll get some for you so it's ready when you arrive here.

Isn't there a Govt tax office over near 700 year stadium.That's where my Excise tax for the KDX was paid.

Well, I entered at Muang Nguen a couple of weeks ago. No mention of the "bike passport" letter. Took us about one hour on each side.
Strangely we were not asked for the export permit either, on the thai side. (for exporting a bike not in your name) We were 2 riders. Both bikes in my name. I guess since i was there as the owner it was ok without the paper..

Back
Top Bottom