Doi Inthanon Crash

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
My father decided he wanted to get on a scooter at 68, and for that matter the first time on a motorbike. First trip around the Samoeng Loop was a success and he loved it, ok he's got the bug lets be a bit more adventurous and do Doi Inthanon. Got to the top no problem then came the decent. Approx 8km from the top i looked in the mirror and he was gone! I waited for 10 seconds or so, still no sign. I quickly turned around and headed back up a km or so. Still didn't see him, hmmm. I turned around again and headed down. Something caught my attention at the corner of my eye in the ditch. Sure enough there he was down a 5ft ditch with the bike on top of him. The first thing that got my attention was his left hand pointing in a direction that made me dizzy! Thankfully thats all that was wrong. Sorry never got any photos as he would have probably burst me if I pulled out a camera!
Below is an x-ray of the damage. Two days in the hospital, plates and screws and mega Baht later he got out today displaying a big grumpy face.

Anyway he said he got over confident and from what I gather he attempted a corner to fast for his ability, gave up thinking he wasn't going to make it, sat up, skidded and into the ditch. Must be the biggest cause of accidents for bike newbies on corners. Morale of the story if you think your not going to make it, lean that baby more. Better low side it rather than go head first off the road.

web.jpg

On a positive note, got some quality nurse spotting in over the past few days.
Look at the enjoyment on his face as the wee cute nurse tries to get a massive needle into his vein.

And on a negative note, i only bought that bloody scooter new a week ago :bash

web.jpg

Hi there Johnny

Sorry to hear about [s:1h96wakp]your bike &[/s:1h96wakp] your dad & your bike what a tragedy after having just found he liked riding too.

Hope your dad gets better soon.

Ally

Glad to hear he is not too badly injured Johnny.

Hell of an introduction to motorcycling!

I think you took him up "Last man Standing 4".

Hope he gets better soon, looks like a nasty break.

Back
Top Bottom