Google earth data recording cars up Doi Suthep

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Google Earth data recording cars up Doi Suthep

Not something you see every day (or maybe ever) - a quick ride up Doi Suthep today and 4 Google Earth data recording cars were up Doi Suthep mountain, Chiang Mai, Thailand. They said they had been recording data all the way up from Bangkok.

google earth up dst.jpg

That's great! Hope they're gonna improve the satellite images as well.

Phil

They must have heard about your bike work being finished!!

Hope the weather holds for them.

:RO

Ally

KTMphil said:
Ally said:
Phil

They must have heard about your bike work being finished!!

Hope the weather holds for them.

:RO

Ally

Shame I didn't have a "North Thailand Road & Off-Road" map with me, I'm sure they would have been impressed - They could have given it to Larry to look at once they got back to HQ

:phil

They wouldn't have been the only ones to be impressed !

:LOL

Ally

LoneRider had some information on what Google is up to:

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2011/09/ ... -thailand/

THAI TRAVEL NEWS

Google Street View is Coming to Thailand
September 1, 2011
Richard Barrow

During a press conference this afternoon, the Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Google announced a partnership for “Promoting Thai Tourism through the use of Google Street View”. Street View in Google Maps lets you explore places through 360-degree street-level imagery, whether you’re looking at locations in your town or across the globe. With Street View, you can check out a restaurant before going there, find beautiful places around the world to visit on your next vacation, or check out neighborhoods when you’re looking to move. For Thailand, they are hoping that the street view pictures of tourist attractions will help boost tourism.

A fleet of specially equipped cars will soon be heading out onto the streets of Bangkok. The Google cars have 15 lenses taking 360 degrees of photos. It also has motion sensors to track its position, a hard drive to store data, a small computer running the system, and lasers to capture 3D data to determine distances within the Street View imagery. It normally takes at least a few months to process the collected images before they appear online. It is estimated that it could even take two to three years to have a comprehensive map of Thailand with street view coverage. More information and samples of street view can be found at google.co.th/streetview.

Source: Tourism Authority of Thailand press release and Twitter account of TAT Governor @IamSuraphon

2 Responses to Google Street View is Coming to Thailand

JohnH on September 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm
If they head to Pattaya then it might be a good idea to close the street bars temporarily. Otherwise a few wives back home might be filing divorce papers.

Richard Barrow on September 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm
As it is a partnership with the TAT, I am sure that they will be “steering” the cars themselves. Anyway, Google is very aware with the problems arising from privacy. Going down Walking Street will just open a big can of worms for everyone.

KTMphil said:
LoneRider had some information on what Google is up to:

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2011/09/ ... -thailand/

THAI TRAVEL NEWS

Well, the credit should go to Mac who pointed me in the direction of this site after he had seen another car with a lot of fancy gear on top of it near Bangkok GPS the Thai roads (probably a car owned by Navteq who provides map data to Garmin).

Lone Rider, now just waiting for Google Earth to make a run up to Laos, especially the off-road byways, that'd be interesting.

I'm off to Xaysomboun for a couple of days end of the month, via 4WD pickup, the road being open, of course.

Mac

Mac- I would have thought that would be a tough ride right now with all the landslides and road erosion they've had i the past few weeks.

mactbkk said:
Lone Rider, now just waiting for Google Earth to make a run up to Laos, especially the off-road byways, that'd be interesting.

I'm off to Xaysomboun for a couple of days end of the month, via 4WD pickup, the road being open, of course.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom