Doi Ang khang Via Lor Lae

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Now the cooler season is almost upon us if you thinking of taking the scenic alternative route from the Fang by-pass through Nor Lae up to Doi Ang Khang expect to be polity turned around at either one of the two army check points. It does have it's positives we got turned back at Nor Lae on the descent but at least it gave us an opportunity to take some pictures in the Lahu village.

Screenshot 2015-11-07 12.29.46.jpg 2015-11-06 08.23.54.jpg

2015-11-06 08.25.03.jpg 2015-11-06 08.26.10.jpg

How about the night time temperatures when camping Bob, do you need a warm mummy type sleeping bag already?

Fortunately we all brought sleeping bags it got down to around 15 degrees during the night, nice and crisp.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That looks like one of the check points on the Thaton border trail if i am not mistaken.

The Nor Lae road is normally open early morning and late afternoon and the times shown on Tim's/Gnasher's pictures seem to be the right times. Last year I was too early for the afternoon opening but after some pleading they let me through after having talked to their colleagues on the other side who then welcomed and showed me their camp.

Your right Aukr but we tried early morning and mid afternoon and was turned away even though the opening hours are clearly displayed, they got upset when i wanted to take a picture of the check point.

Hi Auke
I noticed OSM would not route through it and looked into a way of changing it from a complete block to a partial block but it got a bit complicated for me and I ran out of time.

After I camped at Doi Ang Khang the other week I followed the road north. I was allowed through a few checkpoints before finally being stopped and turned back at the one close to the Burmese border, N 20.09755 E 099.09482.

The checkpoint at the bottom of the hill after the one in the photographs was the most rigorous, with lots of messages going back and forth on the walkie talkie and a bag search before being allowed to proceed. In the end I doubled back to the lake and cut across to Fang.

DSC04010.jpgDSC04011.jpgDSC04012.jpgDSC04013.jpg

These photos were taken at 07:24 so that's the time I must have passed through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom