Doi Ang Khang Loop

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
The rainy season is almost upon us and smoke if finally clearing, the perfect time for a ride along some of the most scenic routes in Northern Thailand up and around Doi Ang Khang. With an overnight stop planned it was proved to be an interesting trip riding the 520 km loop.

Screenshot-2017-11-03-09.07.59.jpg

Soon off the 118 and onto the 1150 heading to Phrao

A great road spoilt only by the odd landslide and sand washed onto the road, plus some crappy resurfacing works going on to add to the mix.

The two Forza riders keeping up a good pace.

The new dam East of Phrao, amazing there is little water after all the rains this year.

We had planned to stop at the Rim Doi, but arrived too early in the day so it was to be a lunch stop, Piang Luang it was to be for the night.

The 1322 to Wiang Haeng has a number of hairpins that can catch you out, especially when there are lots of potholes on the apex, Helmut running a little wide.

Many Lisu spirit offering where there had been fatalities.

The view point as you approach Wiang Haeng and a nice cup of coffee as we enjoy the views and cool air.

Corn husker, for display only i think.

We checked into the Heun Mhok Khan GH we had noticed from an earlier trip located at N19.69046° E98.62809° spotless clean rooms and coffee and toast breakfast for only 500 baht.

That evening the landlady pointed us to a pretty good restaurant near the new 7 Eleven, with a huge Thai menu located at N19.68393° E98.62602°

60 baht yummy.

Frontage of the restaurant.

After a good nights sleep a light breakfast at the GH, they serve beer also !

Before hitting the 1178, time to check out the nearby border post.

Old checkpoint building now abandoned, plans have been made to open this border again but yet to be finalised.

Road ends on the Thai side.

Myanmar army camp.

Quick look around Wat Fa Wiang

The large Bodi tree in the grounds

Tomb of the General Mo Heng of the Shan United Revolution Army (SURA)

More info here gives some insight to significant this area was during the drug wars https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/thailand/northern_thailand/chiang_mai/wiang_haeng/3448

https://prachatai.com/english/node/342

The two armies separated by some barbed wire and bamboo picket fencing.

View down to Wat Fa Wiang

Impressive Buddha at N19.71022° E98.62637°

Des sporting the latest breathing technology.

Soon onto the now beautifully paved first section of the 1178, pity it's not like this the whole way.

However the original paved sections are in a poor state, hard to figure why they never repaired these areas at the same time.

Still pretty chilly at 1500 metres

Warming up, time to ditch some gear.

Reaching Doi Ang Khang the road was closed due to landslips but managed to convince the soldiers to squeeze by without issues. From here we turned onto the 109 a great road but loads of sand washouts kept it interesting, all in all a great couple of days good company and cold beer.

Has the rainy season started a lot earlier this year Bob?

Nice report.Hope to do that one when I come back.I like that area.Still a bit on the wild side.

Yes the newly paved section makes it a great ride. Not sure how long it will stay that way after this seasons rains though.

Great ride and great pictures - should heading out to that area also as I haven't been there for quite some time.

interesting links Bob. I did a similar loop with Ron and Kevin, Googled the name on the monument but drew a blank.
I saw recently that the 'Cowboy' accommodation was closed but we stayed there in January?

interesting links Bob. I did a similar loop with Ron and Kevin, Googled the name on the monument but drew a blank.
I saw recently that the 'Cowboy' accommodation was closed but we stayed there in January?

Tim, last time i stopped at the Cowboy the old western bar had gone and the rooms off to the side was available. Wiang Haeng has gone to sleep now, Piang Luang has several places and a couple of good restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom