Dirt Ducati

I sat on one of these in Chiang Mai and I have no problem with the leg room, despite being 6ft. I won't be riding like in that video off-road and I think I'll try to avoid snow. Won't be difficult north of Chiang Rai!

Has anyone on here bought one yet?

Photo of Troy Baybliss sitting on a customised Scrambler at the Bangkok International Motor Show 2015.

image.jpg

Photo from Scrambler Ducati's FB page.

I like Van Vans. At least how they look. And the Yamaha version which I first saw in Tokyo in 1991. So one of these with a proper engine is fine by me. And proper brakes etc.

Where did this notion that the Scrambler is a hipster's bike arise from?

And what exactly is a hipster?

I am 61. Can I be one?

I am 61. Can I be one?

I had to google Hipster myself when I first saw it mentioned wrt the Scrambler

Let's speak clearly for a moment, because while Ducati doesn't want to outright say it, the Italian motorcycle company is clearly pitching the hipster crowd on this retro-cool machine.

Thus, listing performance aspects, horsepower figures, and the various whistles and bells on the Ducati Scrambler is a lost cause…this isn't a motorcycle that is being sold on its technical aspects. It is being sold on its emotion, on its aesthetic, and its resonance with a younger and newer demographic.

A Non-Hipster Review of the Ducati Scrambler

Actually, I think the Scrambler will appeal to a wide variety of people.
Was just having a go at the knobblies with no mudguards mod.

I am 61. Can I be one?

Do you still have your original hips Nick? If so you can still be a hipster, especially riding around on your new Scrambler :RO

Indeed I do. I can't say I'll be putting heavy duty knobblies on it, but I think the standard ones look cool. I wonder how they will grip in the wet, though.

Do you want one?

Well ~ long story short, our son wants to do a custom Scrambler as another father~son custom bike build, either the Scrambler Icon or Urban Enduro as base but lets just wait and see where we are going to do just that exciting project in the future....
I do like the Tracker
style shown earlier in this thread (black Scram) and would be a great bike to keep on Hainan Island in South China as perfect riding weather all year round....

...It has the engine from an S2R, frame and tank from a GT1000, forks from a Multistrada, swingarm and shock from a monoposto Sport 1000, andrandom parts from other Ducati's, and a few custom bits...

Attachments

• 9142196085_af4c9ca2b4_b.jpg
    9142196085_af4c9ca2b4_b.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 9144420022_8fa485a615_b.jpg
    9144420022_8fa485a615_b.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 9144425586_11466a974e_b.jpg
    9144425586_11466a974e_b.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 340

Attachments

• IMG_6009.JPG
    IMG_6009.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_6011.JPG
    IMG_6011.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_6013.JPG
    IMG_6013.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_6010.JPG
    IMG_6010.JPG
    308.7 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_6012.JPG
    IMG_6012.JPG
    324.8 KB · Views: 343
Technical question: I take it the Scrambler has a cambelt as opposed to a camchain. How often does it need replacing, please?

Technical question: I take it the Scrambler has a cambelt as opposed to a camchain. How often does it need replacing, please?

For the timing belts on my GT1000, its check tension at 12,000km, change belts at 24,000km.
You can download Ducati Owners Manuals here, but the Scrambler one doesn't seem to be available yet.

Is changing them an expensive job?

Given my location, I do all my own work. There's youtube vids on checking/changing the belts.
My guess is any work done by a Ducati dealer would be relatively expensive, but proper service records would add to the resale value

Are the services 12,000 km apart? Seems good if true. But I've always thought motorcycle service schedules are too frequent.

Are the services 12,000 km apart? Seems good if true. But I've always thought motorcycle service schedules are too frequent.

If you want to get an idea of the various service intervals for the Scrambler, download the 2014 Monster 796 Owners Manual
I believe both bikes have basically the same 803cc air cooled motor, with the Scrambler a bit detuned compared to the Monster.

ADVENTURING NAKED: THE DUCATI STRADAFIGHTER 1200 BY ADV ADDICTS

It all started when I did something I hadn't done in almost two years - I actually washed my bike. After returning from a 2,000-mile round trip from San Francisco, CA to San Felipe, Baja, the Multistrada had accumulated a good amount of dirt, sand, and mud. Not to mention many battlescars from several dirt naps while riding in Baja. So being an ADV addict, well, we consider dents and dust badges of honor, so the only thing I cleaned on the bike for the last couple years was the chain.

So one day, it seemed the dirt was now starting to wear down some of the Multi's parts, and it made maintenance a bit difficult. Coarse sand that made its way in between pieces was starting to grind against metal. This is probably one of the reasons why MX and dirt bikers will pressure wash their bikes after a day's ride. So it all started with a quick wash. Actually after the first wash, there was STILL dirt left on the bike because stuff was caked on for thousands of miles over the last couple of years.

But once the Multi was relatively clean, I thought, "Hey this is not a bad looking bike," and decided to replace a few broken and snapped bits. Pretty soon, a piece of fairing was swapped out with carbon fiber. The stock exhaust got swapped out with a titanium and carbon slip-on. Billet aluminum was added. New Touratech pannier racks and crashbars were installed. And then an idea came to "chop" the front end, and things sort of evolved into what you see here.

The idea was to retain the dirt-worthiness of the bike that was built up for Baja, but add some understated upgrades to give it a more refined look. And although it was not meant to go naked, this is a Ducati after all, and everything underneath the fairing was already fairly tidy. There is an asymmetric look to the bike because of the oil cooler and fuel tank, but I think it works for what it is.

There were only a few small mods done to clean up the engine area. First, I added some mesh to protect the open air duct. Second, some electrical wire housing helped cover and protect some connections. And finally, I swapped out the stock radiator cap with one from a 2015 Ducati Monster 1200. Totally unnecessary, but the Monster is naked from the start, and the factory thought to give it a more rugged cap.

So here's the first phase of what we call the Ducati Stradafighter 1200, from the ADV Addicts garage....
http://www.advaddicts.com

https://www.facebook.com/advaddicts?_rdr

Attachments

• D5.jpg
    D5.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 542
  • D3.jpg
    D3.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 535
  • D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 516
  • D40.jpg
    D40.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 525
  • D20.jpg
    D20.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 553
DUCATI Scrambler Paul Smart edition build in Thailand in very limited numbers....

Attachments

• PS1.jpg
    PS1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 623
  • PS2.jpg
    PS2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 327
Says here
Only 24 of the special limited-edition Paul Smart replica Ducati Scramblers were built by Thailand's Ducati importer, and they all sold instantly to Ducati Asia's VIP customers.....

Unlike the Sport Classic Paul Smart, no Ohlins, just anodised the stock forks.

Back
Top Bottom