CRF Side Boxes

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
These CRFs are currently parked outside the shop next to Ricers Corner.
The boxes are made from aluminium and look strong.
Top opening.
12,000 baht a pair.
Available now (taken off the show bikes) or order and wait one month.
'BigFella' may have more info soon.

DSC08747.jpg

DSC08748.jpg

The front one look's tasty with a red engine block, the boxes look as if they would take a knock or two, guess are removable ?

Not removable. They are on a painted rack which is presumably steel tube (anyone got a magnet?). They appear to have three bolts two at the back and one underneath (I've got some difficulty bending over). The rack supports the box underneath... and I'd say would be a bit of a weapon with the box off.

I'm not a fan of hard boxes. If you get a leg caught.... bang - the box busts the ankle. I'll take soft bags EVERY time in offroad conditions... and still prefer them onroad.

Sure... I understand the protection of equipment issue.

One very nice thing about these boxes... they appear to NOT add width to the bike. I like my handlebars to be like cat's whiskers.... if the bars fit through, everything fits through - and that's never more important than when riding in Asia. I checked the width with my walking stick, then compared it to Phillip's CRF. Exactly the same width.

If I had a CRF and if I wanted hard bags, I reckon I'd chamfer the bottom leading edge of the box. I also reckon I'd find some Dzus fasteners and change the way the bags attach to the racks. Add a soft strap handle to the top... some tie points for soft luggage - and they'd be top class

Here's a photo, pinched from my mate Keef's blog, which shows why I don't like wide hard boxes (and why I like the ones here on the CRF)

P1040426-3-L.jpg

That's Keef, after a hard ride through Java on a Honda with wide-set hard boxes. Get behind a smoky truck, or several hundred, in traffic - and that's it, you are stuck - you simply can't sneak through.

On the other hand... with soft bags - and with the bars being the widest part... why stick in the smoke?

Here's Keef's blog. He's got some excellent photography in here btw.

Right Way Round ...

Thanks BigFella.

re Vid; OMG, some-one believes in reincarnation!

Umm... that was me, on a quiet day in Java. Must admit, I was riding like a 17 year old some days.

I'll be your sweeper Ian, picking up the body parts from under the trucks, most 17 year olds that ride like that never make 18 :lost

Back
Top Bottom