CRF 250 L - My Opinion

Just Bob

Bikes
KTM 950SM WR250R
I owe you guys my thoughts, especially after putting about 2200 total kilometers on the 250L. My background; regular rides are a KTM 950SM and a Yamaha WR250R. I've had a YZ250, Speed Triple, 675 and ridden most popular bikes like the GS1200 and some classics like the Duc 900SS. I'm intermediate on dirt, about the same on a track and too old to ride like a hoon.

So...

I like the seat. A bit too sloped in the middle to move around on much, but putting the feet down easier is a fair trade. Tough to move around much to relieve a numb bum, but really all day soft enough for an old man with a bad hip. If I owned the bike I'd keep it.

The motor had enough poke until faster roads left me wanting another gear. 80KPH Was fine for cruising. Up to 120KPM a few times but it felt like abuse. Good enough for me and taking in the scenery. The power band was a bit low and short for my taste so I just rode it like the tractor it is.

The transmission left me a bit cold. It sounded like it was right out of a Wave, kind of the same whining I'm-about-to-disintigrate sound. Clutch-less up-shifts were fine. Finding neutral was impossible going down. I'd have to shift it down to first then notch it up. Either issue were not a big deal and I could live with it easily enough. I did get a false neutral once coming into a tight turn pretty hot - between third and forth - but sometimes that can be as invigorating as an espresso.

I would change the brake pads to something with a lot more bite. It felt like Honda engineered the 250L with wooden brakes as a form of poor man's ABS.

I found myself dissing the bike a bit comparing it to my WR250R. Its heavier and the steering is slower and I felt like I wouldn't take it too far off-road. However, after returning home and putting some time on the WR I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges (not the KTM oranges). The Honda is a really good road bike, especially with the IRC dual sport tires. My WR suffers on the asphalt from less stability (lighter weight?) and dedicated dirt geometry and I realized there is no way I would want to do that same 2000+ kilometers on the WR. Everything that had me thinking the Honda was less compared to my WR is what makes it so good at what it does well. That's touring the tighter roads (the fun ones) with the ability to play in the dirt as well.

I like it! I might even buy one. I had no mechanical problems. I rode it pretty hard. Its not perfect - I've read about the issues with the tensioner and the clutch - but what bike doesn't have issues?

For what it is and for what it is priced at I think its a hell of a good machine.

And... The standard (I assume) rear luggage rack worked great.

Links to my ride reports here;

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...rts/2661-mae-hong-song-loop-seniors-tour.html

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/2673-nan-loop-seniors-tour.html

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/2688-over-top-seniors-tour.html

Thanks for that Bob.
I'll submit a review of the bike after my Laos ride too.

An article in Adv Moto magazine on the Honda CRF 250 L

crf cover.jpg

crf p1.jpg

crf p 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom