Comprehensive Insurance For Rental Bikes

TMT19

Bikes
FZ1n, VFR800
Hi all,

Not entirely sure this is the correct sub-forum for my question :unsure:

Me and a couple of mates will be traveling to Thailand in November.
We plan on renting out bikes and do at least the large MHS-loop (and some further sightseeing).
The idea is to rent our bikes from one of the respectable shops in Chiang Mai.
I've found out that the bikes are (mostly) compulsory insured and that none of the shops is able to offer comprehesive insurance.

Does anybody know of an insurance company that offers such an insurance?

Thank you for reading my question!
Michael

Word from Lan who owns the most respected hire shop in Chiang Mai CP Motorcycle rental is you cannot have 1st.class insurance with a hired motorcycle, only the 3rd party which is already in the hire cost.

Rent from Chiang Rai Big Bikes rental in CR .
For an extral cost on top of your rental cost.
Fully comp insurance can be added

More details from the owner of Chiang Rai Big Bikes.

1. You would have to mention that the third party only covers hospital as far as you are aware

2. A larger third party insurance can be purchased covering damage to property and a third party and a much larger amount for hospita

3. lI think I would be willing to self cover up to maximum 50% of bike damage but I think rental rate increases 2 x??

Also the company does a drop of and pickup of rental bikes at a extral cost.

So all you wishes can be sorted but at a cost
This is Thailand have a great trip.

Hi TMT19.
It is well worth contacting Ian at Riders Corner in Chiang Mai. He has a wide range of well maintained bikes for rent and will answer your insurance questions. He also offers a good back up service.
November sure is an excellent time to be riding here.

Word from Lan who owns the most respected hire shop in Chiang Mai CP Motorcycle rental is you cannot have 1st.class insurance with a hired motorcycle, only the 3rd party which is already in the hire cost.
My friend hired there last year, only compulsory included. No 3rd party available.
He got same reply from all other companies he asked.

Just wondering if there's another option for guys like TMT19.

I have a good accident insurance cover from my Thai bank for about 1000 baht.
Wondering if this is only available for residents of Thailand or if riders such as TMT19 can, if required,
open a bank account here and take one of their policies.

As far as I know there are 3 levels of insurance for vehicles available in Thailand:
1) Mandatory one which covers medical insurance for victims only.
2) 2nd class which to a certain level covers material (and medical) damage to other vehicles, if the holder (or legal driver) of that insurance caused the damage.
3) 1st class insurance is the damage both on others and own vehicle.

For rental bikes it seems impossible to get coverage for 1st class, it is possible to get 2nd class but there are various limitations such as engine size. Most rental companies do not want to take that effort and just opt for the mandatory one, also it's a financial issue, seems Lan and CR big bike are the exceptions.

There are options for rental companies to cover damage on their own bikes, here is not the place to discuss.

For tourists a medical coverage it is better to arrange in home country in a travel insurance, provided they do not exclude traveling on motorcycle.

Also it a good time to mention some travel insurance which does cover Motorbike rental only cover up to a 250 c.c bike ?

Caveat emptor?

Thanks for all the replies guys! Been out of the country and wasn't able to check in earlier.
I really appreciate your time and effort answering my question.
Schedule/trip isn't set in stone, so i wil definitely check out CP Motorcycle rental and Chiang Rai Big Bikes.

It's a couple of months away but i'll make sure to write a trip report afterwards :giggle:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Thailand Information 2
2wheels Thailand Information 10
W Thailand Information 2
Back
Top Bottom