Chris and lou's big adventure

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
When I returned to Chaing Mai I was informed of riders corner and headed there to see if I could get a room, this was the first time I had been there, Phil was very helpful and I ended up staying a week, this is where I met Big Lou...

1206471823_RHexA-M.jpg

1210019005_pQfbn-M.jpg

He had been staying at riders, he was friend of Motorbike Marcus from the UK. it wasn't long before we where on the piss and became good friends, lou told me he had been wrestling elephants the day before and now he was going off to Pattiya to visit some friend, he was a bit unsure of what he wanted to do and kept changing his mind, one minute he was going the next he was staying, this went on for a few days, he packed at least twice and never went, poor old Phill didn't know if he was coming or going with regards to letting the room.

One evening Phill suggested he goes for a ride with me, bearing in mind he was a novice to riding bikes, sound like fun to me. Phill sorted the Bikes, route and Lou's clothing....easy.

Lou was worried about the early morning traffick, we would leave at 7 to miss it and get clear of town.....I was also starting to worry a little, I always ride alone so this would be a first for me....what could go wrong, nothing I thought and Lou said that with me as Guide,Mechanic,Camera man and Medic we would be fine, now I was really worrying he was putting his faith in me to get him on a bike and take care of him for the day.................

First thing in the morning and where off....

Lou's looking a bit worried
1210018803_dQfdA-M.jpg

Good reason to, the first turning I took was the wrong one, so we ended up doing a lap of CM's moat and then we where back on track heading north..
The route..107 up to chaing dao then onto the 1178 in a big loop all the way back to 1178....

Although the start was cold I was starting to enjoy myself, Lou was improving all the time and confidence was growing, I cannot tell you how good a day we would have...hope the pictures help..
1206472459_qSyr3-M.jpg

1206472514_hxJW6-M.jpg

Thing's rarely go this well........stunning views..
1210018806_zHWGL-M.jpg

more to come...

part 2

things where going really well it was beautiful day

1210019645_jhNPz-M.jpg

1210020430_7LNyK-M.jpg

1210020053_uPBEs-M.jpg

1210019839_t77ky-M.jpg

we stopped for fuel and theses Kids came to take a look at us

1210020274_3v2UV-M.jpg

The route ..

1210019363_f9K4N-M.jpg

1210019301_RD2JP-M.jpg

1210019839_t77ky-M.jpg

It was all just going so well, so we thought we would up the stakes and head up a steep hill, I was first and fell of half way up, Lou cam flying past me and got all the way to the top...bastard. I managed to get going again and got up to the top, nothing to see...., back down then, this proved harder than going up, when I got to the bottom I waited for Lou, he didn't come, this meant going back up, lou was off the bike and the bike was in the hedge, now I'm really laughing, the look on Lou's face was a picture I should of took, I had to go all the way to the top to turn round, I fell off turning, run out of leg and i couldn't pick the bike up due to the slope, Lou had to walk up to the top and help me, both pissing ourselves with laughter, sweating buckets.....eventually we got to the bike upright and I headed down stopping half way to get lou's bike back up, his clutch mount had snapped of, no clutch..........He done well to get down the hill with no gears.

Lou surveys the Damage

1206469126_sn3iF-M.jpg

1210021293_aLKcm-M.jpg

Im still laughing
1210021293_aLKcm-M.jpg

You just cant help but laugh at situations like this..

1210020438_rAJPj-M.jpg

Lou was proud to have had his first tumble and walk away from it...the hill we went up is behind Lou

1210020515_K3FPH-M.jpg

after the laughter had stopped and we cooled down it was time to be a Mechanic and fix the bike..

A few cable ties later (never leave home with out one..)
1210020610_PXGPC-M.jpg

1206469887_4GJDe-M.jpg

Back on the trail with clutch less gear changes for Lou, we had to take care of his repair because we where only half way round the loop, so he only used the clutch to stop and start, didn't he do well....
1210020925_DuPz7-M.jpg

Stopped for a drink at a little shop..
1206469909_zuZge-M.jpg

Time was getting on so we started heading back
1210021079_9f9j8-M.jpg

1210020926_4iHdA-M.jpg

1210021278_EZUpr-M.jpg

1210021102_rJ6Xk-M.jpg

1206473003_CTdbr-M.jpg

That was one of the best days of my life, big shout to Lou for having the balls to jump on a bike and have a go, he loved it......
1206469742_rwzjo-M.jpg

Any time big Lou...
1206469207_btm5M-M.jpg

Thanks to Phill, Motorbike Marcus, the sweet girl in Mr Mechanics, who didn't even charge for the damage, well done Phil..

Big Lou called me from the uk just to say what a fab time he had!! perhaps chris and lou will hit the trails next year

Chris will be on the trail Xmas time, no sure about Lou...

I'm hoping a few of you locals will be up for a few days in the dirt...

Yes Loas would be high up on my list of place to go....

More the merrier.........Rideasia on tour...

Philanderer, check your siteadmin PM's, I asked about this a couple of days ago before this thread got started.

Pounce said:
Philanderer, check your siteadmin PM's, I asked about this a couple of days ago before this thread got started.

can you resend the pm - Lord knows where it went

I spoke to Lou the other day, he passed his sailors exam and is no an able bodied seaman. He was sailing to France the weekend, I can see him stood at the front of the boat looking like Leonardo de Caprio.....go on Lou..

Sounds like Fun ...

Is that more dangerous than biking???

If he survives I'm sure he will be up for another day or two out...

Back
Top Bottom