Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang Laos via Nan border crossing Day 2

skeedary

Bikes
Suzuki V Strom, Mighty Honda Wave
Day 2

Great ride today on the 1080 now numbered the 101 up through peaceful Pua to the Nan border crossing. Think it is about 180kms so allow the time should you do the trip. There is a lot of heavy haulage happening as it is the access from Thailand to Honsa Laos where the coal fired power station is under construction. With the heavy transportation of Thai assembled fabrications the road is starting to deteriorate. I am told that the power station is being financed and constructed by Thailand and all the power output will be channelled back to Thailand.

This massive transformer was being trucked in, at this stage at walking pace over the mountain. Notice the front skid steer whilst the prime mover is pushing from the rear
P1040179.jpg

The prime mover working on the rear push

P1040182.jpg

Just one of the many massive transportation logistics at play

P1040178.jpg

I get to Thailand Border and quickly pass through Immigration and Customs. Everyone super cordial and friendly.
Then get to Laos Immigration and Customs and they also are very helpful but quite typical for this remote area there is power out and have to wait 2 hours for the computers to work again so I can be processed. You just need to go with the flow, don't get upset and wait patiently.

Laos Immigration

WP_20140828_13_34_15_Pro.jpg

Laos Customs

WP_20140828_13_40_34_Pro.jpg

Just waiting patiently

WP_20140828_13_49_10_Pro.jpg

Finally get cleared and off to Hongsa on the fantastic racetrack that was constructed through the mountain for heavy haulage and possesses perfect road cambers

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you imagine if that transformer "logistics" started to go horribly wrong.

We saw the start of that happening in Timor-Leste. They were building a new oil-fired power station. We were directed onto the beach to go around this huge generator

When we came back through a few days later... it was still there, laying on its side.

Ouch.

.... sorry for the diversion.... back to regular programming

Back
Top Bottom