Cb500x

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I was talking with Khun Lan at Chiang Mai 'C&P Rentals' today.
He has three new 500Xs arriving at the end of February.
Last time I was at CMai 'Big Wing' they were displaying a notice (in Thai only) saying 'No Test Rides', so renting a 500X from K Lan for a day may
be a good way of rally checking out the bike before committing to a purchase.

Incidentally, he said 'Big Wing' would only give him a discount if he bought more than ten bikes at a time! :roll:

I must take one out for a test ride back in the UK

DSCF6247_zpsa0640427.jpg

I went into the Honda shop today and saw all three models, the other two were in red and looked gorgeous but the X which I really like was in this disgusting colour.
I detest black bikes full stop and seeing this was a real dampener, hopefully it is available in red too

I ordered a Black one. Could have had one last week but couldn't get down to CM quick enough so I will have to wait my turn. still end of the month apparently.
missed the deadline for the Tax increase which was 16th Dec and it's getting more expensive by the day as I made the mistake of leaving the money in Pounds .
Anyway, whats wrong with Black captain ? should be good for 18,000 K without a wash or maybe indefinately :hmm

A comment from 'Motorcycle Thailand'.

"And the accessories are daylight robbery, I shouldn't have to pay 5000 B + for a proper wind screen when it should be fitted with one to start with, same with the center stand. Luggage options are way overpriced but that is normal and last time a got a non factory after market top box put on a bike it was a disaster...."

Anyway, whats wrong with Black captain ? should be good for 18,000 K without a wash or maybe indefinately :hmm

Just personal choice Mark, black, grey, silver are not my thing at all

Well I finally got my 500X today. 2wheels put a deposit down for me on 26th December and I hadn't seen the bike until today.
The Customer service at Honda Big Wing in CM sucks. I've made plenty of phone calls but never received one. anyway, they have one in if I can get down quickly. So does this mean that they arn't really operating a Queue system, I guess so.

I arrive at 10:30 , plenty of staff but no one who can help me purchase the bike I've ordered. The Guy I needed to speak to was at another office dealing with paperwork. I waited 1 hour, and then left for some lunch.

got a call at midday. he was ready for me.

The price for First Class insurance was 9200 extra now.

I spoke (or my wife spoke) to a salesman yesterday and the price was 3000 extra.
The day before we spoke to a Salesman and the first class insurance was included in the price.

don't speak to these people by telephone, they are useless. Its the worst customer service experience I've experienced ever in my life. Not even a water was offered whilst I waited. OK, I know TIT but seriously , I've been coming and going for 16 + years had my share of good and bad customer service. But these Guys really Suck. had better experience at Big C.

Anyway, bad vibes and I decided to pull the Plug. Give me my deposit back and I'll look at a second hand Versys.

wouldn't give me my deposit back and I'm now the owner of a Black CB500X. the colour I ordered has been white and black alternating for the last 3 months depending on who I spoke to.

Anyway, A guy rolls up with the Black CB500X , already has keys in the ignition and thats it. Job done. no Fuel in the tank.
still got plastic covers on some of the stuff. no final preparation etc.

Thanks and good bye.

first impressions the Bike Feels smooth, very smooth but I don't really want to deal with these people. first service in 1000 K, which will cost me an addtional 3200 baht. Still think I've made a mistake but time will tell.

Hi Lakota, sorry about the bad vibes and the fact that it was still in gift wrapping.
Hope that technically the bike was delivery ready?

I just hope that it does not spoil your enjoyment too much, the feeling will be gone in a few days.
The bike will hopefully stay much longer!

We bought a new Honda Jazz in CR last year, we never bothered with their insurance and took another company to arrange.

Maybe you can get service in CR and you won't have to deal with the muppets again, sad but customer service does not figure in Thai culture.

Have you cleaned it yet !

have to have it serviced at big wing. 3200 baht for the first 1000k service. I'm going to be taking some interest in that service.
Cleaned it. I havent rode it yet. needed a few beers to calm down. seriously bad vibes about this purchase. not even sure the things roadworthy

i can take it to nan for a couple of days to make sure its roadworthy for ya if ya like.nah seriously i know exactly what your on about.very frustrating when your spending that sort of cash.good luck with it im sure it will be a fun bike.

have to have it serviced at big wing. 3200 baht for the first 1000k service. I'm going to be taking some interest in that service.
Cleaned it. I havent rode it yet. needed a few beers to calm down. seriously bad vibes about this purchase. not even sure the things roadworthy

Let me have it for the week i'll give it a road test :lost

300 kilometers on the clock now. I'm running it in the old fashion way, steadily but I'm not overly impressed. I can only compare it to my KLX250 as I've not ridden anything bigger. It certainly eats up the miles with less fatigue than the KLX and seems to corner on itself but that seat is weird. it pops off with the turn of a Key a bit like the honda dreams do, but without the pivot. it just comes clean off. seems to move about a bit too much because of it. and the standard KLX seat is more comfy or at least is to me. The Windscreen seems to be purely cosmetic also.

Its had a couple of good reviews from a couple of very experienced riders already on here so my experience is perhaps less significant.

I thought I was being a bit hard on the Customer service thing with the rant. So I went back yesterday morning with an open mind. got one of the mechanics to alter the Clutch pedal height as I couldn't use it with my boots. he took a good look at it and it was clear he hadn't done one before, but he did a good Job when he'd figured it out. nice way with the tools, wasn't the sort to round off the nuts sort of thing.

bumped into the Guy who we first placed the order with. The Salesman. I put aside the fact we had spoke to him on the telephone about 15 times due to some confusion over the colour we had ordered and the fact he had done nothing about it as we still had the wrong colour on the order form, which wasn't really a problem in the end as we just stole someone elses Black one from the non existent order book Queue.

Anyway, I asked him how to set the Clock on the bike, seemed a shame not to have it right as it was 3 hours out.
he showed me how, easy when you know how. anyway, he has a nice analog type watch. I could see the little hand was between 8 and 9, and the big hand was on 30 or half past , and remembering from my youth that the time was 8:30 .

He sets the Clock to 9:30, I have to back track and thing wether we were on some daylight savings thing or something, anyway, I ask him what the time is in Thai and english. its 9:30 in his world. OK, I look at his watch again and it says 8:30, it was clear he wasn't going to budge so I ask someone else who luckily for my sanity was on the same planet as me and we bully him into accepting the time in our world. pretty Scary to me but I guess I'm sensitive and a farang to boot and will never understand the Thai ways.

If anyone has any info on why the First 1000k service will cost 3200 baht I'd be interested. It's not information that is going to be freely available to me as many faces have been lost and I'm probably persona non grata

Mark,
Today I spoke to 'your' friendly salesman and was informed that at a service Big Wing offer 3 types of oil.
The top grade oil, used in the 1000 km service, will bring the total cost to "3000 baht".
The "normal oil", if used, will bring the cost to "two thousand baht".

Not sure what their oils are though.

Thanks 2Wheels, that might explain a few things. I know the Motul fully synthetic offered at kawasaki isn't cheap , just hope it's good for 12,000 K.
still an expensive first service in my book. I'll be looking at the itemised bill with interest.

The bikes going to be my normal mode of transport, thats the main reason for the purchase, but was rather hoping for low running costs so it makes sense to leave the pickup behind.

hey, its just gone very dark here all of a sudden. I think we're gonna have a storm. batten down the hatches

If it is Fully synthetic as 1000k then I'll have to re think the gentle approach to running in.

Well, I have to admit that it's a brilliant little bike. Just as easy to ride as a scooter around town, but it really comes into its own on the mountain roads.
I had a realisation today that for the first time ever, no one passed me on the road. I guess that's normal on a bigger bike but it was a pleasant surprise and seems to be a huge safety factor being able to leave the A-holes behind.

did 470 km round trip to CM and back this morning for a service. no stops on the way for cake or loose women. just had to get the 1000k service out of the way.
was as fresh after the ride as when I started, except for my arse. that seats damn uncomfortable, will see if I can swap the KLX seat in for longer rides ;-)

The Service was as expected , just normal checks, chain tension etc and an Oil change and then a jetwash and wipe down which wasn't expected.
Didn't change the Oil Filter although the service book says to do so, so yes, It kicked off again. excuses, Bullshit, etc. etc. anyway, the filter was changed 30 mins later and I got the hell out of dodge.

The Oil was 600 + baht a litre. Honda Ultra G3 fully synthetic, made in Japan.

another 5000 km's before I have to visit the Clowns again

Happy to hear the bike is performing well and you are pleased with it!
When can we see the picture?

There's a picture of it in post #4. looks Identical . As your only 'down the road' you can have a private viewing ;-)

Looks like I am not going anywhere for another week or so. That will be after Songkran then.
Thought I was used to taking antibiotics but this time I need to stay close to a toilet :-).

Well that's more positive.
Glad you're liking the bike more and more Mark.
Your comments echo mine from the two day ride, posted on another thread.

I reckon the 500X has the basics to become a brilliant tourer.
:DD

A good way to check on how bikes are standing up to local conditions is to call in to Bike Rental places, have a chat and a look.

Today I called in to see Khun Lan at C&P Chiang Mai, just to learn how his small fleet of 500Xs are handling the rigours of being rental bikes.
He said he has not had any issues with his 500Xs to date.
Good news.

Thats good news Ron as I cant rule out the possibility of one of these being my bike in the UK in the near future

Back
Top Bottom