Can get slippy on Doi Suthep road

alexuk

Been testing some gear out today, while its dry, and I have my Michelin Sporty road wheels on my KLX.
I like to go up there with my knobbies on,not sure how good the sporty are
After yesterdays electrical problem i had to check the Klx was working ok, so I went back up the main road to the temple on Doi Suthep
I rebuilt the pumper carb Mikuni TM33 with an old body I found in a bike shop so am trying to set it up.
Its working quite well except a little bog off idle when I twist the throttle fast. The idle is pretty good now too, before it would not idle, which was the main reason I took it off last year.
My new Dainese mesh jacket from Tachilek and old Dainese safety jacket hadnt been worn together so I had to see if that works for me.
I got a new GPS too and need to get used to it.
The Sportys seem to hold on pretty well considering how easily the back tyre will slide if I hit the rear brake. Never had a problem with the front, on account of the front brake being so naff
Except one corner a couple on a dtracker were watching, I leaned a bit too far and the rear slid a bit more.
So I was enjoying the twists again, got to about #81, a lefthander about 4 from the top, and the surface was looking pretty good and dry all the way up, but there was some diesel or oil,I was leant right over and the back slid out a long way, I didnt think I could hold onto it, it kept sliding. Then the pegs etc dug into the road and I let go.
Left some scratches on the road, fortunately noone saw it or was coming t'other way

scrabe1.jpg

You can see on the screengrab from the GPS that the tracking went weird here.
You can read the distances and times up to the slip and stop, but I have no idea why it looks like the bike went off the road.
crashscreen.jpg

Th Dainese Mesh jacket got a small hole in the cordura on the side of the elbow,sliding pulled the elbow guard underneath so I have a slight graze on my elbow, but no bruise. And no other damage noticeable except a bit of grime.
As usual, the gear lever bore the brunt of the action, and needed bending back again to shift.
The handguards looking well battered, but is mostly cosmetic. And a slight scratch on the rack is about it
Unfortunately my Nokia was in the wrong pocket and looks like its time for a new one, the screen is all weird now.

Did you come off and test the mesh jacket?

alexuk said:
Been testing some gear out today, while its dry, and I have my Michelin Sporty road wheels on my KLX.
I like to go up there with my knobbies on,not sure how good the sporty are
After yesterdays electrical problem i had to check the Klx was working ok, so I went back up the main road to the temple on Doi Suthep
I rebuilt the pumper carb Mikuni TM33 with an old body I found in a bike shop so am trying to set it up.
Its working quite well except a little bog off idle when I twist the throttle fast. The idle is pretty good now too, before it would not idle, which was the main reason I took it off last year.
My new Dainese mesh jacket from Tachilek and old Dainese safety jacket hadnt been worn together so I had to see if that works for me.
I got a new GPS too and need to get used to it.
The Sportys seem to hold on pretty well considering how easily the back tyre will slide if I hit the rear brake. Never had a problem with the front, on account of the front brake being so naff
Except one corner a couple on a dtracker were watching, I leaned a bit too far and the rear slid a bit more.
So I was enjoying the twists again, got to about #81, a lefthander about 4 from the top, and the surface was looking pretty good and dry all the way up, but there was some diesel or oil,I was leant right over and the back slid out a long way, I didnt think I could hold onto it, it kept sliding. Then the pegs etc dug into the road and I let go.

Yes, editing post now.
looking uphill
scratchs.jpg
You cant really see the grease on the road, unless you get up close,then it looks quite bad, and I have not really had this problem there before.
However, sometimes you can see a trail of diesel halfway up the mountain, esp on the bends, where somchai songthaew has filled his pickup right to the top of the tank, obviously thinking its smart, and maybe killing a few bikers at the same time.
Maybe a big picture in Thai at all the gas stations could save some lives

bike picked up on other side of the road
scratch.jpg

alexuk said:
You can see on the screengrab from the GPS that the tracking went weird here.
You can read the distances and times up to the slip and stop, but I have no idea why it looks like the bike went off the road.
[attachment=0:1kfco1e1]crashscreen.jpg[/attachment:1kfco1e1]

It looks like that the GPS lost satellite reception for a moment. In that case the GPS assumes that you travel in a more or less straight direction till it gets a lock on the satellites again.

You can also see that on the sudden speed change from point 6 to 7 where the speed changed to 130 km/h from 70-80 km/h which is an indication that the GPS just put somewhere a point and from that calculates the speed.

Anyway, glad to hear that the damage to both you, the bike and the mesh jacket was limited.

Lone Rider- I never did more than 90km/h there,probably more like 70km/h at the time, its very windy

so why did it say 130km/h?thats almost top speed

Phil, I must've dropped it on the road before, I wasn't just testing to see how the bike would behave

Back
Top Bottom